Post-Game Talk: Why is kostka still on pp's: Reimer shines in a 1-0 loss

• Thread starter Count Von Grabo*
  • Start date

G51 K81*

You can't actually believe this.

I like Fraser. I enjoyed watching him with the Marlies the last couple of seasons and he stuck out as an exceptional AHLer. He looks to be a step behind out there with the big boys. There is a reason why the Devils waived him.

Fraser is way better then Schenn, he has been excellent so far with the Leafs. He rarely ever makes a mistake, takes the body, much better fighter, and is great defensively.
Schenn was all around awful.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
The Bruin worked effectively holding us off the board. There is nothing a team can do about a good team competing hard. That would have been a better game if we won. No changes need to be made because of this game in particular.

Kadri needs to center Kessel for awhile,and Frattin stays with Kadri.

That,and Phaneuf is useless with these minutes,cut him back to 20 minutes a game.

I agree with the bold.

We played really good, but played a contending team hungry for a win. I thought the team defense was good, lots of forward support along the boards and short quick passes helped us get out of our zone quickly.

Let's not forget the defensive style of play is what this board was crying for this time last year!

We just couldn't put one in the net. We had a lot of really good scoring chances, the Bruins did a really good job defending and Rask played well. Overall, I was impressed with the game we played, very pleased with the defense first attitude and solid goaltending.

Kyle Doobas*

I like Fraser. I enjoyed watching him with the Marlies the last couple of seasons and he stuck out as an exceptional AHLer. He looks to be a step behind out there with the big boys.
If he's only one step behind then that's a pretty huge improvement over Schenn

G51 K81*

Actually I do, forget where Schenn was drafted, the hype as well, and just look at their games, Fraser is comparable. If not for perceived pedigree and expectations, Schenn is a marginal NHL defenceman. Oh, I think Holzer has as much upside too if that mind blows you more :). Luke Schenn sucks, he is a one dimensional guy that lacks skill and has a low hockey IQ. Fraser can play his role just fine, which is a minor one. Looking at the Philly highlights from last game I think they are starting to see the real Luke Schenn.

Sadly people develop impressions on players based on draft position or whether they have been waived. Never will change.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I didn't watch the first two periods because... well it was the Bruins and I assumed that we were going to lose 6-1 while Hockey Night in Canada announcers insulted the team and their fans. :laugh:

After checking the score on tsn I decided it might be worth watching the last of the game though and I was impressed overall. We were outplayed but it didn't seem like as glaring of a difference as last year and Reimer continued to look better than he has in the past.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious that has everyone so negative? It was the Bruins and I never hold high expectations. The fact that we were a threat during the entire game is enough to make me happy. Maybe my expectations are just too low after being disappointed time and time again, but maybe those of us that aren't ready to blow up the roster are being more rational as well.

I think we're only a few pieces and a Phil Kessel hot streak away from being a legitimate cotender.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
After the loss last night, I knew better than to come on here. Talk about emotional hysteria. Honestly. Wow. All of the bullsh*t hate for Kostka. Does he belong on the 1st unit power play? Probably not. But wasn't that a strength of his in the AHL? (Not sure, just going off sketchy memory) It seems to me that one of the problems with the PP is the passes, not just by Kostka and Phaneuf, are not as crisp and decisive as they should be. This makes it easier to defend. Just the impression I get. But Kostka has played very well, a quiet steady game. The hate is really unnecessary and seems very very juvenile.

Reimer played very well last night, and I really like him. Hoping for him to continue to build on his early strong play. I will say, though, I still kind of catch my breath a little sometimes watching him. He didn't seem as quiet in the net last night as I would have liked. But heh, he did get the job done, in as much as giving the team a chance to win.

I thought Kessel got stronger as the game went on, as did the team in general actually. Saw Kessel competing for the puck along the boards and he did have some great chances, again. Gotta feel for that guy. Can't wait until they start going in. Didn't feel it was the strongest game for Bozak and JVR, though.

I actually thought Liles had a good game, particular 5 on 5.

There really wasn't anyone who stood out to me as having a bad game. It's unfortunate we didn't score. Having our goal called back is a wash given that the Bruin's second goal was good also. Thought it was almost an even up call. But I wonder how things change if the Leafs goal had been counted. Does the team gain more confidence from it and play differently? Anyway, I thought as the game went on, the Leafs got stronger, maybe didn't spend quite so much time in their own end. At least in the end, I felt we were in the game and could have tied it up, possibly come away with the win. A bit of puck luck for Kessel, and it's a different story maybe.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I didn't watch the first two periods because... well it was the Bruins and I assumed that we were going to lose 6-1 while Hockey Night in Canada announcers insulted the team and their fans. :laugh:

After checking the score on tsn I decided it might be worth watching the last of the game though and I was impressed overall. We were outplayed but it didn't seem like as glaring of a difference as last year and Reimer continued to look better than he has in the past.

Am I missing something glaringly obvious that has everyone so negative? It was the Bruins and I never hold high expectations. The fact that we were a threat during the entire game is enough to make me happy. Maybe my expectations are just too low after being disappointed time and time again, but maybe those of us that aren't ready to blow up the roster are being more rational as well.

I think we're only a few pieces and a Phil Kessel hot streak away from being a legitimate cotender.

No, you are not. What you saw was what happened - we played well against the bruins and lost 1-0.

G51 K81*

If he's only one step behind then that's a pretty huge improvement over Schenn

I guess. Although he looks perfectly fine out there. Last night he was one of our best defensemen defensively. Few nights before he was solid and a +3. No glaring mistakes yet all season. I take Fraser over Komi as well, and Komi has been pretty good to start the season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Bruins dominated most of the game, but the Leafs held in there. Reimer was the 1st. star for his play.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2012020111

For extended portions of the game, the Bruins stifled the Maple Leafs at every opportunity, preventing them from breaking out and getting their sticks and bodies in the way of passing and shooting lanes.

"I liked the way that we came back and backchecked hard and didn't allow them to have too much time in our own end and freedom," Julien said. "That's a credit to the guys after having a tough week here with four games."

Toronto (4-4-0) turned the puck over too often at the Boston blue line, got bottled up in the neutral ice "and they started to grind us," Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said.

"That's the way they play and they're a good team," said Carlyle. "They did what they had to do to be effective to play a road game and we didn't do enough of the things that we're capable of to establish a strong home game in the 60 minutes."

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Unsure of the nature of the avalanche of negativity.

Bruins forechecked and cycled really well, but the Leafs kept them largely to the outside, and that can be measured by the fact that Reimer made 33 of 34 saves.

Leafs played a counter-attack rush game against them, rang a number of shots off the post, and hung in all game long against a top 3 team in the league.

I'm happy with their performance.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Grabo to me is the classic 3rd line centre on a great team, a little bit of everything and enough explosiveness to scare the other teams d. In a perfect world he is a 40 to 50 point guy behind Kadri and the #1

So being a 40-50 point guy is better than a 50-60 point guy?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Unsure of the nature of the avalanche of negativity.

Bruins forechecked and cycled really well, but the Leafs kept them largely to the outside, and that can be measured by the fact that Reimer made 33 of 34 saves.

Leafs played a counter-attack rush game against them, rang a number of shots off the post, and hung in all game long against a top 3 team in the league.

I'm happy with their performance.
Most of the negativity seems to stem from the absolutely brutal PP. Which is justified but to pin it all on Kostka isn't. 5 on 5 Leafs are pretty good even though we do have some fairly gutless wonders against these type of teams. PK and Reimer continue to be bright spots.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
He's a #3 on a good team no buts about it, but on this team he's the defacto #2. At 5.5 his play has been marginally acceptable, his line was on the ice for key goals against in losses to the NY Isles and Rangers. Grabo would be a fit on a team where he doesn't have to play against the top 6, still his line never faces the checking attention that Bozak's line does. Which somewhere in between cancels out the supposed shutdown role he has.

Yeah, he faces elite competition where the slightest mistake can burn you while Bozak's line faces competition where they aren't a threat to get scored against. Maybe you should try getting your facts straight before you go around spewing your nonsense.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I haven't seen enough of Kadri to know where he ends up. He made several plays last night just tossing the puck with hope and no intent. If he played Kessel minutes perhaps he'd be as timid as Kessel. Offensively creative, but physically still get over matched in most games. Perhaps he'll develop physically, but he is 22 so maybe this is it?

Males don't usually hit their physical prime until about 25+, he's got time.

SteveV*

Actually, Kulemin has a very good shot, and if used as a shooter would be good at it.

Tell me though who is going to the boards and fighting in scrums, Kadri, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Grabovski?

Again, if you are doing the dirty work you aren't going to look pretty.

Can't think of to many teams PP that require a grinder as you're arguing? JVR should be able to dig pucks and Frattin has that skillset as well. Kadri can dig pucks too, plus your D of course.

MapleLeafGardens*

Another horrid NHL game i turned it off half way through can't bear to watch crap hockey and another former Leaf property in Rask beat us.

The real game worth watching is today the SUPER HARBOWL the NFL product is 10 million times better than the NHL's watered down crap.

GO 49ERS GO!!

QUEST-PROFILE-BADGE-SB-fb.jpg

mikebel111*

Kadri had a few turnovers, but all of them happened when he tried to clear the zone, went off a skate or something, soo much more responsible. Come a long way
The 3 idiots need to go from CBC, way to hard on kadri on the faceoff dot, he is young, some nights he will be good, some days, not good, but he will learn, and will continue to get stronger

ForSpareParts*

I tend to ask the question:

Why is Dion still on the PP?

Kostka is a good player and part of the reason why we are .500.

You can't really fault anyone in last nights' loss. Kessel is still not scoring, and our secondary guys had an off night.

If the team lets in 1 goal a game then we'll certainly find success.

Kudos to Kostka though. I'm so happy he's breaking out in a leafs' uniform. From what I've seen so far he's above average, but not an all star. Fine by me.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Phaneuf and kostka playing too much minutes. Kostka has been good, but I don't think he should be in the shutdown role.

Phaneuf needs a d-partner that is a bit stronger in our own end, or we need to get another d-pair that can go against other teams top lines for a few shifts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't wait till Lupul and Gardiner are back.

Kostka shouldn't be on the PP, but that's been stated enough times in tgis thread.

Reimer played great.

Kessel needs to score.

I am waiting for Gardiner to return to last year's level, he seems to have taken a step backward defensively this year even before his concussion.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, he faces elite competition where the slightest mistake can burn you while Bozak's line faces competition where they aren't a threat to get scored against. Maybe you should try getting your facts straight before you go around spewing your nonsense.

You can repeat this until the cows turn blue when he made 2.9 per and expectations were less on him, but you seriously need new material at his current rate of 5.5, as the highest paid fwd on this team more is expected of him.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Saying the Leafs hung in there with the Bruins is meaningless. They got thoroughly outplayed for the vast majority of the game. It should have been 2-0 but for that nonsensical waving off of the Bruins' 2nd goal. You could argue that Franson's goal was unfairly called back but at least there was some contact initiated by Kadri on Rask to justify it.

Now the defense is one thing but the main reason the Leafs lost that game was a completely ineffective forecheck and constant turnovers from the forwards, especially Bozak, JVR and Kadri. Kadri and Frattin at least had a bit of something going in the Bruins' zone but the 'top line' was almost completely invisible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad