Post-Game Talk: Why is kostka still on pp's: Reimer shines in a 1-0 loss

• Thread starter Count Von Grabo*
  • Start date

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Another horrid NHL game i turned it off half way through can't bear to watch crap hockey and another former Leaf property in Rask beat us.

The real game worth watching is today the SUPER HARBOWL the NFL product is 10 million times better than the NHL's watered down crap.

GO 49ERS GO!!

QUEST-PROFILE-BADGE-SB-fb.jpg

Really.The Superbowl is the championship game,not 8 games into the season after 6 months of not playing.

Don't NHL play-off games seem better than regular season?

If the NHL championship was a single game you don't think it would be exciting?

Also,how many Superbowls have been a snoozefest with <30 points scored.

Should be a good game though.SF all the way.

The Velvet Hammer

Jun 3, 2010
leafville
Kostka / phaneuf is an awful pairing, but if you are going to play them together you have to understand for Dion to be effective he has to play less than 20mins a night (32mins vs NYR and 27mins vs Bruins)

Kostka should be higher then a 5th/6th guy, but limit the damage, you cannot play these guys for half the game and expect to win.

reimer was great, got lucky too, but that's part of being on your game, pucks seem to just hit you. Could have been 3 or 4 to 0.

maybe set the d up;

gunnar / phaneuf
Gardnier / franson
komi / liles

Fraser - #7
AHL --> Kostka/Holzer

i hope this man crush RC has for krapka ends soon. Did anyone else hear the stories in the pre-game that Kostka got called into a beer league to be a playoff ringer and had a brutal turnover right in front of his on net and cost the team the game and they were eliminated from the playoffs....... Sound familiar??? i laughed.. bruuuuutal

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Kadri had a few turnovers, but all of them happened when he tried to clear the zone, went off a skate or something, soo much more responsible. Come a long way
The 3 idiots need to go from CBC, way to hard on kadri on the faceoff dot, he is young, some nights he will be good, some days, not good, but he will learn, and will continue to get stronger

I hate them, constantly bashing the team that gets them views and pretty much gives them their pay-check. Watching the Calgary game was a HUGE difference. They were talking about how they've been improving and that they will turn it around soon. It was refreshing to say the least.

ForSpareParts*

Kostka / phaneuf is an awful pairing, but if you are going to play them together you have to understand for Dion to be effective he has to play less than 20mins a night (32mins vs NYR and 27mins vs Bruins)

Kostka should be higher then a 5th/6th guy, but limit the damage, you cannot play these guys for half the game and expect to win.

reimer was great, got lucky too, but that's part of being on your game, pucks seem to just hit you. Could have been 3 or 4 to 0.

maybe set the d up;

gunnar / phaneuf
Gardnier / franson
komi / liles

Fraser - #7
AHL --> Kostka/Holzer

i hope this man crush RC has for krapka ends soon. Did anyone else hear the stories in the pre-game that Kostka got called into a beer league to be a playoff ringer and had a brutal turnover right in front of his on net and cost the team the game and they were eliminated from the playoffs....... Sound familiar??? i laughed.. bruuuuutal

What? You say Kostka should be higher than 5/6, but you have playing in the AHL?

Are you confused?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Saying the Leafs hung in there with the Bruins is meaningless. They got thoroughly outplayed for the vast majority of the game. It should have been 2-0 but for that nonsensical waving off of the Bruins' 2nd goal. You could argue that Franson's goal was unfairly called back but at least there was some contact initiated by Kadri on Rask to justify it.

Now the defense is one thing but the main reason the Leafs lost that game was a completely ineffective forecheck and constant turnovers from the forwards, especially Bozak, JVR and Kadri. Kadri and Frattin at least had a bit of something going in the Bruins' zone but the 'top line' was almost completely invisible.

How about the nonsensical waving off of the Leafs goal? It would have made the score 1-1 and the game probably would have been played different maybe even not resulting in that second chance.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
At this point, and for last several seasons, we need players that buy in to being tough to play against and not simply goons with no skill like Mclaren, Orr, Brown. The Bruins are a perfect example, with guys like Paille, Thornton, Peverley, Kelley. Their bottom six aren't goons with no skill. They can all skate, forecheck HARD, defensively adept, and can chip in with points- they can be easily trusted to play solid minutes unlike our bottom six. Komarov has been decent on the forecheck but he's the only one and McClement is decent in his own end so that's been a plus- but Brown, Orr, Steckel, and the others on the rotating carousel are garbage.

How can you expect to win with a non-existent forecheck and a bunch of players that won't take contact to make a play (not just Kessel- just about the whole team is like that)? Pathetic

This team is so far behind it's not funny, further case in point just look at the B's D. Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk are all great Dmen that play with an edge. We have no one other than Phaneuf for 5 or 6 games a year that plays with any sort of edge. Fraser? :laugh: please, career AHLer who can't skate, terrible defensively, and lacks basic hockey IQ.

Last edited:

leafspring*

Another horrid NHL game i turned it off half way through can't bear to watch crap hockey and another former Leaf property in Rask beat us.

The real game worth watching is today the SUPER HARBOWL the NFL product is 10 million times better than the NHL's watered down crap.

GO 49ERS GO!!

QUEST-PROFILE-BADGE-SB-fb.jpg

Yeah well i think this,:nopity:

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
I don't understand why people are ragging on Kostka.

***** at Carlyle for not changing PP1 since the first game or feeding that pairing too many minutes if you want, but I'm very happy with Kostka's play.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
At this point, and for last several seasons, we need players that buy in to being tough to play against and not simply goons with no skill like Mclaren, Orr, Brown. The Bruins are a perfect example, with guys like Paille, Thornton, Peverley, Kelley. Their bottom six aren't goons with no skill. They can all skate, forecheck HARD, defensively adept, and can chip in with points- they can be easily trusted to play solid minutes unlike our bottom six. Komarov has been decent on the forecheck but he's the only one and McClement is decent in his own end so that's been a plus- but Brown, Orr, Steckel, and the others on the rotating carousel are garbage.

Couldn't agree more, though I think Steckel is better than he's shown this season between the two plugs. Putting him between McClement, and Komarov could prove to be a useful 4th line, who can be relied in a defensive role.

masyo88*

Couldn't agree more, though I think Steckel is better than he's shown this season between the two plugs. Putting him between McClement, and Komarov could prove to be a useful 4th line, who can be relied in a defensive role.

:laugh::laugh:Of course you couldn't agree please more!! Oh please our forth line did their job tonight. Orr and Mclaren had 5 hits between the both of them in 4 minutes of playing. Took runs at Chara and Mquaid to let them know they whats up this game. I didn't see Lucic, Horton, Mquaid, Ference and so on trying to bully or intimidate us like they did to other teams this year, or like what they did to us last year. And Franson let his man skate right by him and turned around when Borque slotted it in the net, his positioning was horrible on that play. Also we out hit the Bruins 44-29! Gee I wonder why that is? Hmmmmm:laugh: Also guys relax, we lost to a cup contender by one goal.Our offense was not the greatest but we brought the physically that game. If Kessel buried that shot instead of hitting the post, and if Rask did not flop for an academy award, I don't think these doomsday fortune tellers would even be in this thread claiming all doom and gloom.

masyo88*

Also no way Kostka should be getting this many minutes, feel good story is all cool and everything. But our pp is stinking it up, because part of his play.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

How can you expect to win with a non-existent forecheck and a bunch of players that won't take contact to make a play (not just Kessel- just about the whole team is like that)? Pathetic

This team is so far behind it's not funny, further case in point just look at the B's D. Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk are all great Dmen that play with an edge. We have no one other than Phaneuf for 5 or 6 games a year that plays with any sort of edge. Fraser? :laugh: please, career AHLer who can't skate, terrible defensively, and lacks basic hockey IQ.

Couldn't agree more about the lack of forwards on the NHL squad that will by in and be tough to play against. This team just gets out muscled. I dont expect Kessel to be doing that, thats not why we got him, but we definitely need at least one on each of the top two lines that can do that. Disappointing that we have Kuli and JvR that could both be solid but just aren't tough enough. I do think Kadri and Frattin are two guys that could bring more of that toughness with their play. they are both good hitters with a fair amount of skill as well. Ryan Clowe is one guy that I wouldn't mind us picking up for the remainder of the year too see if he could bring that two our team, then maybe reupp him.

The defense is a different situation. When we have guys like Franson and Liles that are 4-6 dman that are taking up space to peovide offense, its hard to get other guys that can provide toughness and solid defense. Until we see Rielly or Gardiner (or other players) up their with Phaneuf providing the offense to this team as one of our top 2 defenders, it will be hard to get guys in the 4-6 role to provide solid defense and toughness.

Side note, I am really starting to want Nonis to get Orpik. He would provide a solid top 4 dman that couild also provide some toughness.

masyo88*

Couldn't agree more about the lack of forwards on the NHL squad that will by in and be tough to play against. This team just gets out muscled. I dont expect Kessel to be doing that, thats not why we got him, but we definitely need at least one on each of the top two lines that can do that. Disappointing that we have Kuli and JvR that could both be solid but just aren't tough enough. I do think Kadri and Frattin are two guys that could bring more of that toughness with their play. they are both good hitters with a fair amount of skill as well. Ryan Clowe is one guy that I wouldn't mind us picking up for the remainder of the year too see if he could bring that two our team, then maybe reupp him.

The defense is a different situation. When we have guys like Franson and Liles that are 4-6 dman that are taking up space to peovide offense, its hard to get other guys that can provide toughness and solid defense. Until we see Rielly or Gardiner (or other players) up their with Phaneuf providing the offense to this team as one of our top 2 defenders, it will be hard to get guys in the 4-6 role to provide solid defense and toughness.

Side note, I am really starting to want Nonis to get Orpik. He would provide a solid top 4 dman that couild also provide some toughness.

Oh dear god:shakehead this forum never ceases to amaze me.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

I think Mcclement would be better served as a guy on our third line then one on our fourth (maybe even Komarov too). He can bring solid defense and more physicality (similarily to Kelly on Boston).

And the more Komarov plays, the more we p/ off the other team, and he can draw penalties. Not to mention he can pitch in offensively.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
:laugh::laugh:Of course you couldn't agree please more!! Oh please our forth line did their job tonight. Orr and Mclaren had 5 hits between the both of them in 4 minutes of playing. Took runs at Chara and Mquaid to let them know they whats up this game. I didn't see Lucic, Horton, Mquaid, Ference and so on trying to bully or intimidate us like they did to other teams this year, or like what they did to us last year. And Franson let his man skate right by him and turned around when Borque slotted it in the net, his positioning was horrible on that play. Also we out hit the Bruins 44-29! Gee I wonder why that is? Hmmmmm:laugh: Also guys relax, we lost to a cup contender by one goal.Our offense was not the greatest but we brought the physically that game. If Kessel buried that shot instead of hitting the post, and if Rask did not flop for an academy award, I don't think these doomsday fortune tellers would even be in this thread claiming all doom and gloom.

The fourth line was the reason we got scored on.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

They were also on the ice for the only goal scored against us (Orr's lack of hockey sense was a large reason why that play was allowed to develop) after being pinned in our zone for some time. Then again, chasing the puck in our own zone isn't exactly something new for that line. I'm glad at least Fraser addressed the way Kessel was handled, if the other two plugs couldn't/wouldn't.

masyo88*

It was a bad defensive play all around. It's not like Orr passed it right to Chara at the slot for a bullet. Plus Franson let Borque skate right by him and turned around after he scored. How's that the fourth lines fault?? They are a minus 1 in the season, haven't played bad and done their job.

Just in case you have selective memory or pick and choose fact's. We outhit them 44-29, Orr and Mclaren had 5 hits together in 4 minutes of playing time. Took runs at Chara at Mquaid, Mclaren challenged Mquaid who chickened out. Lucic, Ference, Chara, Horton, Mquaid and so on were very quite last night and did not try to bully us around like they have done teams to earlier this season and to us last year. Again, if Rask did not flop and Kessel's shot went in I guarantee we'd be singing a different tune.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
It was a bad defensive play all around. It's not like Orr passed it right to Chara at the slot for a bullet. Plus Franson let Borque skate right by him and turned around after he scored. How's that the fourth lines fault?? They are a minus 1 in the season, haven't played bad and done their job.

Just in case you have selective memory or pick and choose fact's. We outhit them 44-29, Orr and Mclaren had 5 hits together in 4 minutes of playing time. Took runs at Chara at Mquaid, Mclaren challenged Mquaid who chickened out. Lucic, Ference, Chara, Horton, Mquaid and so on were very quite last night and did not try to bully us around like they have done teams to earlier this season and to us last year. Again, if Rask did not flop and Kessel's shot went in I guarantee we'd be singing a different tune.

Most of the time that Steckel, Orr, Mclaren, and Fraser were on the ice at the same time, they were pinned in our own end and I was biting my nails with fear they would get scored on again.

masyo88*

They were also on the ice for the only goal scored against us (Orr's lack of hockey sense was a large reason why that play was allowed to develop) after being pinned in our zone for some time. Then again, chasing the puck in our own zone isn't exactly something new for that line. I'm glad at least Fraser addressed the way Kessel was handled, if the other two plugs couldn't/wouldn't.

Firstly we were never hemmed in our own zone, play developed from the Bruins end. Orr picked up the guy with the pass, Steckel and Franson let Borque skate and hit it in. Franson had his back towards the pass, something a defender should never ever do. And Steckel just let him skate by him. How is that Orr's fault? Check around the 30 second mark in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8tAV6rQ9yg

sucks for you there is actually proof instead of biased rants on your part. Please, our forth line is fine in their playing time, only time they got hemmed is when they have a long shift and the other team takes advantage. Sidenote when most NHL lines are exhausted they do get hemmed. They play decently, forth line is not the problem. If you were watching the game, you would have known Orr and Mclaren were on the bench and could not do anything at the moment. Would you like if they have jumped of the bench started a brawl, cost us the game and suspensions and fines? Not much to do when you are in the bench, being honest isn't a strong point in you is it? Let's get a forth line of Conollly and Mac and Steckel or Hamilton!!! That is the key to success. Get outta here with that nonsense:laugh:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Most of the time that Steckel, Orr, Mclaren, and Fraser were on the ice at the same time, they were pinned in our own end and I was biting my nails with fear they would get scored on again.

This. Our 4th line is an absolute disgrace and had been for years.

masyo88*

Really, only time I got nervous is when they scored, cause you could catch the defensive fail from a mile away. Explain why we outhit them, were more physical, and the usual Bruin bullies were quite? You are avoiding this and keep saying "but they got scored on" on a goal Franson could have easily saved.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

That's the first goal against for the fourth line.I know they only play 5 mins a game,but if they played 8 mins a game it might be 2 or 3 against.With the piece of mind that line gives the other players,I think it is a fair trade off.

As another poster mentioned the Leafs outhit the Bruins and I think the mere presence of Orr and McClaren had alot to do with it.

All you people should be looking at the guys that are here to score not the ones that are here to protect them.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Don't know why Carlyle is using Phaneuf and Cotsco on our power plays..... Phaneuf can't hit the net, and Kosta just sucks.

It sucks without Gardiner and Lupul.:(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad