Post-Game Talk: Why is kostka still on pp's: Reimer shines in a 1-0 loss

• Thread starter Count Von Grabo*
  • Start date

Mar 26, 2010
Before this season started, I always thought this team was bad. We are nothing close to a good team, bottom 5 is what this team is. The fact is, we lost 1-0 to a team that usually blows us out. Reimer was amazing once again, but is this really something that we didn't see coming? What's with some of the overreactions?

If there is a year to be bottom 5 it is this one for sure with the upcoming draft.

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
fh0114o.jpg

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yelled at my tv so much for Phaneuf to shoot the freaking puck

You mean to shoot it at somewhere close to where the net is right. Unless you're talking about someone else.

I really don't mind a hard faught loss, but if the same mistakes keep happening then you aren't really learning from it or you don't have the right personnel to win. I think this was a game where the team battled, but didn't play the full 60.

I'm not going to overreact because this was the expected outcome. Looking forward to seeing the game monday.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Before the season the general attitude seemed to be, 'Well we probably won't be very good this year, but at least we can hopefully get a decent pick and add to our core while guys like Kadri and Frattin emerge as NHLers."

Eight games in, we're perfectly on track and people are acting like the sky is falling. :laugh:
What do you mean perfectly on track? The only thing we're on track for is a mediocre 9th or 10th place finish which doesn't lead to that decent of a pick. The only part of that happening is Kadri and Frattin getting ice time which wasn't even really the general attitude going into this. Before Connolly and Lombardi got moved/waived they didn't seem likely to crack the roster.

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
LOL after reading this thread, quite a few of you need mental help. Unless you're under the age of 14, then your childish temper is somewhat acceptable.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I think Kessel has been playing pretty well and not getting the bounces for the most part, but last night was not a good game for him. Kind of looked like how Ovechkin looks now, big speed through the neutral zone, either turn it over at the blueline, take a shot from 25 feet out, or keep skating to the outside and get nothing because their defense was boxing him out. What was his biggest goal drought so far as a Leaf, something like 10 or 111 games around January the second season?

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
You did. BTW Franson had a very strong game, Kostka too but he is blamed for RC playing him on the PP, Kule, Mcclement, Kadri, and Frattin all had good games.

Question for you, what did you mean then? I'm listening if you can indeed explain yourself.
no I didn't. sorry you're having so much trouble understanding what people are saying.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Unlike Bozak he's creating chances as well as shutting down the oppositions top-lines. He's been doing the job given to him and he's been doing it well. Bozak's job is to help Kessel and produce offense, he's done none of that. Maybe instead of just looking at their contracts you should look at the roles given to them.

FYI, Bozak also gets top PP time as well as more minutes than Grabo, their production is not comparable at all.
cheers mate I know it too

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
We were a third tier team. Despite two really bad games, I am pretty happy with what I have seen. A lt of positives to be taken from the first 8 games -

Kadri, Frat and Leo
Reimer has been solid
Franson has shown he can play
Grabo line has shown that they can be a first tier shut down line

relax. I was hoping to be at .500 at this point in the season. I agree, work in progress, and the key word is progress.. there has been some.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Grabo to me is the classic 3rd line centre on a great team, a little bit of everything and enough explosiveness to scare the other teams d. In a perfect world he is a 40 to 50 point guy behind Kadri and the #1

I haven't seen enough of Kadri to know where he ends up. He made several plays last night just tossing the puck with hope and no intent. If he played Kessel minutes perhaps he'd be as timid as Kessel. Offensively creative, but physically still get over matched in most games. Perhaps he'll develop physically, but he is 22 so maybe this is it?

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I haven't seen enough of Kadri to know where he ends up. He made several plays last night just tossing the puck with hope and no intent. If he played Kessel minutes perhaps he'd be as timid as Kessel. Offensively creative, but physically still get over matched in most games. Perhaps he'll develop physically, but he is 22 so maybe this is it?

He can still get stronger. I hope he trains under Gary Roberts again. I really think training under him helped despite him being "overweight" coming into camp.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think Kessel has been playing pretty well and not getting the bounces for the most part, but last night was not a good game for him. Kind of looked like how Ovechkin looks now, big speed through the neutral zone, either turn it over at the blueline, take a shot from 25 feet out, or keep skating to the outside and get nothing because their defense was boxing him out. What was his biggest goal drought so far as a Leaf, something like 10 or 111 games around January the second season?

thing that bothers me about kessel ......he couldnt have made the play frattin made in the o/t against buffalo ...hed have cut towards the middle .....dont get me wrong kessel is a 30 goal scorer ,but the same people that said brian burke would get extended are protecting kessel from critisism
make no mistake ,unless MLSE ,is gonna pay him 6/7 /god forbid even 8 million hes likley gonna get moved ....its gonna be a reality decision not because every year he has a couple prolonged scoring slumps ...i think all of us on this board should ask the question
if i were a gm ?would i pay kessel 6/7/8 million a year ?be honest

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I think Kessel's awesome, that's just how he plays though. The frustrating part is he's not small like Patrick Kane, he actually has the size to do those Frattin type of plays. Frustrating also to see him set up linemates who can't do a ****ing thing with the puck, hopefully help is on the way for Phil.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
thing that bothers me about kessel ......he couldnt have made the play frattin made in the o/t against buffalo ...hed have cut towards the middle .....dont get me wrong kessel is a 30 goal scorer ,but the same people that said brian burke would get extended are protecting kessel from critisism
make no mistake ,unless MLSE ,is gonna pay him 6/7 /god forbid even 8 million hes likley gonna get moved ....its gonna be a reality decision not because every year he has a couple prolonged scoring slumps ...i think all of us on this board should ask the question
if i were a gm ?would i pay kessel 6/7/8 million a year ?be honest

6 yes
7 maybe
8 no

The team needs that big #1 or #2 center, whether or not Kessel is part of the equation or not.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Kessel's awesome, that's just how he plays though. The frustrating part is he's not small like Patrick Kane, he actually has the size to do those Frattin type of plays. Frustrating also to see him set up linemates who can't do a ****ing thing with the puck, hopefully help is on the way for Phil.

It was interesting when they were talking about how big 5'10", 187 lbs. Komarov was lower body. I know from bouncing off similarly sized people that strength is not just about size.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Reimer was on last night.

Why is Mike Kostka still on the top D pair?

D should be:
Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
JML - Gardiner (or Kostka until Gardiner is back)
Franson - Komisarek

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
It was interesting when they were talking about how big 5'10", 187 lbs. Komarov was lower body. I know from bouncing off similarly sized people that strength is not just about size.

I know what you mean, looking at a guy like Kadri and Komarov side by side, their even though they may technically weigh the same and are similar height there is no question who looks stronger. Phil doesn't have that problem though, I think he's got that build and the strength to play like a Matt Frattin. It's frustrating sometimes, but then again there aren't many players with Kessels skillset that do play like that.

I'm not expecting him to go out there and start racking up hits but driving to the inside every once in a while and taking the puck to the net instead of skating around it wouldn't hurt him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I know what you mean, looking at a guy like Kadri and Komarov side by side, their even though they may technically weigh the same and are similar height there is no question who looks stronger. Phil doesn't have that problem though, I think he's got that build and the strength to play like a Matt Frattin. It's frustrating sometimes, but then again there aren't many players with Kessels skillset that do play like that.

I'm not expecting him to go out there and start racking up hits but driving to the inside every once in a while and taking the puck to the net instead of skating around it wouldn't hurt him.

Watching other teams and seeing how they attack the net you really notice the difference with some teams who make defenses look weak when there isn't much difference between defenses.

Kessel relies on speed and this year so fars teams are just giving him space outside and not letting him get into go scoring positions. Kessel is bringing down his line because he's pretty much useless right now. Yes, he's getting a some chances, but it was telling when they showed where most of his chances are coming from 31+ feet away from the net. Easy to blame Bozak but when your linemate is shooting from long distance Malkin wouldn't help.

I have never liked Kessel on the PP. Didn't like it with Ronnie, and don't like it with Carlyle. He likes to come off the sideboards, but he's so predictable and doesn't move the puck very quickly.

Lupul going to the net is being missed, and Kessel's head being messed isn't helping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad