Post-Game Talk: Why is kostka still on pp's: Reimer shines in a 1-0 loss

• Thread starter Count Von Grabo*
  • Start date

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You have him, the bomber guy, dave, cup67 .. it makes it really hard to have any type of intelligible relevant discussion when there is endless ******** to sift through..

If you dont like reading certain posters, use the ignore feature. It can really cut down on your frustration level. And don't worry, you're not missing anything significant.

SteveV*

Frattin deserves a chance on the PP. I love Kuli but he isn't a natural fit on a power play.

Alazais

Jun 19, 2010
I'm not allowed to call everyone that is losing their mind incompetent, but I'd like to. It was 1-0 game against one of the best teams in the league. In previous years they gave the Leafs a old school, play-ground whopping. Kostka gave a lot of safe minutes and provided with some very sound defensive plays. If you don't see that out there then you more than likely don't know what you're looking for.

He is on the PP because he's a right handed shot and he makes good, smooth D-D passes that helps Dion set up his (terribly inaccurate) one timer. I'm not sure why this is such an unnoticed thing for everyone. It's quite obvious to myself and my friends and makes quite a lot of sense to all of us. Now I'm not saying we're all of some great level of intelligence, as we aren't.. Which means that everyone else is... What?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not allowed to call everyone that is losing their mind incompetent, but I'd like to. It was 1-0 game against one of the best teams in the league. In previous years they gave the Leafs a old school, play-ground whopping. Kostka gave a lot of safe minutes and provided with some very sound defensive plays. If you don't see that out there then you more than likely don't know what you're looking for.

He is on the PP because he's a right handed shot and he makes good, smooth D-D passes that helps Dion set up his (terribly inaccurate) one timer. I'm not sure why this is such an unnoticed thing for everyone. It's quite obvious to myself and my friends and makes quite a lot of sense to all of us. Now I'm not saying we're all of some great level of intelligence, as we aren't.. Which means that everyone else is... What?

There is nothing wrong with Kostka and although different, an upgrade from Schenn

number72

Oct 9, 2011
The Kostka hate is almost as much as the Phaneuf over rated meme. The main difference is that most NHL fans agree with those that believe Phaneuf is over hated and have never heard of Kostka.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I haven't seen enough of Kadri to know where he ends up. He made several plays last night just tossing the puck with hope and no intent. If he played Kessel minutes perhaps he'd be as timid as Kessel. Offensively creative, but physically still get over matched in most games. Perhaps he'll develop physically, but he is 22 so maybe this is it?

Grabo gave the puck away last night too, for that matter I didn't see any glaring giveaways from Kadri last night, he slide a puck against the grain and if converted it would have been a wonderful creative play that was just tipped by a Boston defender. I think he passed the test against a high pressure team. He has come a long ways this year. Physically he is only overmatched in the face-off circle, he is a lot stronger this year. I don't see anything wrong with his game from a compete, attention to detail,, puck support perspective. Kadri is well on his way to being the anti-Schenn for the Leafs.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Fraser is an upgrade over Schenn.

You can't actually believe this.

I like Fraser. I enjoyed watching him with the Marlies the last couple of seasons and he stuck out as an exceptional AHLer. He looks to be a step behind out there with the big boys. There is a reason why the Devils waived him.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Grabo gave the puck away last night too, for that matter I didn't see any glaring giveaways from Kadri last night, he slide a puck against the grain and if converted it would have been a wonderful creative play that was just tipped by a Boston defender. I think he passed the test against a high pressure team. He has come a long ways this year. Physically he is only overmatched in the face-off circle, he is a lot stronger this year. I don't see anything wrong with his game from a compete, attention to detail,, puck support perspective. Kadri is well on his way to being the anti-Schenn for the Leafs.

Every creative player is going to turnover the puck from time to time, I didn't see Kadri make a huge number last night. Almost every time he's on the ice this year he seems like a legit threat to make something positive happen, just going to get better with experience and increased confidence, should be getting much more PP time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Every creative player is going to turnover the puck from time to time, I didn't see Kadri make a huge number last night. Almost every time he's on the ice this year he seems like a legit threat to make something positive happen, just going to get better with experience and increased confidence, should be getting much more PP time.

Kadri made bad drop passes too, the team itself was moving just not together

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Frattin deserves a chance on the PP. I love Kuli but he isn't a natural fit on a power play.

Kulemin can't be digging the puck out of scrums and in the open for a shot at the same time.

How about something like:

Kadri, Frattin, Kulemin, Grabovski, Franson

Frattin can play the point on the PP, and Kulemin can help defensively while playing the boards.

SteveV*

You can't actually believe this.

I like Fraser. I enjoyed watching him with the Marlies the last couple of seasons and he stuck out as an exceptional AHLer. He looks to be a step behind out there with the big boys. There is a reason why the Devils waived him.

Actually I do, forget where Schenn was drafted, the hype as well, and just look at their games, Fraser is comparable. If not for perceived pedigree and expectations, Schenn is a marginal NHL defenceman. Oh, I think Holzer has as much upside too if that mind blows you more :). Luke Schenn sucks, he is a one dimensional guy that lacks skill and has a low hockey IQ. Fraser can play his role just fine, which is a minor one. Looking at the Philly highlights from last game I think they are starting to see the real Luke Schenn.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kulemin can't be digging the puck out of scrums and in the open for a shot at the same time.

Frattin can play the point on the PP, and Kulemin can help defensively while playing the boards.

That would work as it leaves a good balance of threat and competent defensive forwards to cushion the absence of the second d

SteveV*

Kuli just doesn't have a natural skillet for a PP, our second unit has always looked awkward to me. I'd slot out Kuli and put Frattin in his place. Kadri and Frattin deserve a shot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Actually I do, forget where Schenn was drafted, the hype as well, and just look at their games, Fraser is comparable. If not for perceived pedigree and expectations, Schenn is a marginal NHL defenceman. Oh, I think Holzer has as much upside too if that mind blows you more :). Luke Schenn sucks, he is a one dimensional guy that lacks skill and has a low hockey IQ. Fraser can play his role just fine, which is a minor one. Looking at the Philly highlights from last game I think they are starting to see the real Luke Schenn.

There was not much to like about him save for his fight

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kuli just doesn't have a natural skillet for a PP, our second unit has always looked awkward to me. I'd slot out Kuli and put Frattin in his place. Kadri and Frattin deserve a shot.

Actually, Kulemin has a very good shot, and if used as a shooter would be good at it.

Tell me though who is going to the boards and fighting in scrums, Kadri, Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Grabovski?

Again, if you are doing the dirty work you aren't going to look pretty.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It's funny that no one in the media has caught onto the Kostka on the PP train. Its absolutely crazy that he gets so many minutes. Just poor, poor coaching but what else is new with this "club". There are many things that I think many of you just knit pick on, but any idiot wouldn't keep doing what RC is doing with Kostka. Don't get me started about not playing your hottest players. Keep plugging away with what is not working, RC and don't change anything up. Even though Frattin has 2 GWG of your 3 wins, don't play him near as much as you should. No better than Wilson.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
at least we stood up to them physically
i thought we did better along the boards

It was better, Leafs were dominated at time in their own zone, but I think McClement and Komarov are very nice additions to the physical abilities of the team.

Lupul might have made a difference on the game last night. Yes, all teams have to go through injuries, but Toronto's depth isn't there yet.

Too bad Gunnarsson is injured, he might have made a difference in clearing the zone, he is capable.

leafspring*

The Bruins worked effectively holding us off the board. There is nothing a team can do about a good team competing hard. That would have been a better game if we won. No changes need to be made because of this game in particular.

Kadri needs to center Kessel for awhile,and Frattin stays with Kadri.

That,and Phaneuf is useless with these minutes,cut him back to 20 minutes a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I can't wait till Lupul and Gardiner are back.

Kostka shouldn't be on the PP, but that's been stated enough times in tgis thread.

Reimer played great.

Kessel needs to score.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
It was better, Leafs were dominated at time in their own zone, but I think McClement and Komarov are very nice additions to the physical abilities of the team.

Lupul might have made a difference on the game last night. Yes, all teams have to go through injuries, but Toronto's depth isn't there yet.

Too bad Gunnarsson is injured, he might have made a difference in clearing the zone, he is capable.

Much better, never had the sense that a complete collapse was close as was often the case in the Wilson years. While the Bruins are a better team it no longer appears to be men toying with boys. for now at least
Getting effective minutes from 3 and 4th liners like McClement and Komarov is a very positive development in the climb to respectability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad