Why is Ivan Provorov so damn underrated?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
In a huge market like Philly? This is a guy who is 21 and undoubtedly one of the premier defensemen in the league. Considering that Ghost is their go to PP guy, it's insane that he put up 41 points last year. Is there another D who can score like that with hardly any points coming from the PP?

This is a 21 year old who can be used in all situations as a #1 D. Quite possibly the next Doughtly level D (completely realistic he can become the best D in the leauge). Yet when talking about the best young defense, we hear Seth Jones.. Slavin.. Etc but hardly ever a mention about Provorov.

This is a guy who can potentially challenge for the Norris as soon as this year. So why is he so underrated? Everyone talks about Couturier, Giroux, Ghost, hell I have even heard more hype about Sanheim than I have about Provorov.

What gives?

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
He was the player that stood out the most when I watched the Blues play the Flyers last year. Dude's a total beast.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was brutal in the playoffs last season, deer in headlights bad. It's still fresh in people's minds.

Wtf are you talking about? He was the Flyers best dman by far. He was their only positive on D and did so with a completely separated shoulder in the last 2 games.

Ghost, after a great regular season, had a really bad 1st round. Maybe you are confusing the two?

Anywho, back to why he is underrated...who knows?

He was tied for the league lead in goals by defensemen with 17 without being on PP1 and was a rock in the dzone. The rest of the league and national media will eventually figure out how good he is. These things take time for some players for whatever reason.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Provorov is a great young defenceman for sure, but his game is still flawed. He will undoubtedly be a top defenceman in the next few years (maybe even this year) but for now he's in that McAvoy tier for me.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
In a huge market like Philly? This is a guy who is 21 and undoubtedly one of the premier defensemen in the league. Considering that Ghost is their go to PP guy, it's insane that he put up 41 points last year. Is there another D who can score like that with hardly any points coming from the PP?

This is a 21 year old who can be used in all situations as a #1 D. Quite possibly the next Doughtly level D (completely realistic he can become the best D in the leauge). Yet when talking about the best young defense, we hear Seth Jones.. Slavin.. Etc but hardly ever a mention about Provorov.

This is a guy who can potentially challenge for the Norris as soon as this year. So why is he so underrated? Everyone talks about Couturier, Giroux, Ghost, hell I have even heard more hype about Sanheim than I have about Provorov.

What gives?
probably not everyone agrees with some of your points.

Kettil33

Aug 21, 2016
Unfortunately for Provorov he plays behind arguably the most puck skilled d-man in the league in the Ghost. So not being the PP1 guy on the team can't help but alter perceptions of him.

If he got PP1 time, he could easily up his points from 5 on the PP to something closer to Ghost's 33, and instead of a 17 goal 24 assist year, you get 20 goals and 44 assists. 20 goals and 64 points and I bet everyone in the league has Provorov as a top 5-10 d-man in the league and he's not under-rated anymore.

But as it is, I have seen him ranked miles behind Werenski for example which is just stupid.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
He was brutal in the playoffs last season, deer in headlights bad. It's still fresh in people's minds.

he was fine. especially considering he was trying to shutdown the best player of the last decade with only one arm.

to answer the OP's question, it comes down to points. he doesn't put up monster 50+ point seasons like popular D usually do. and Ghost being on PP1 will likely hold him back from that, and maybe from getting Norris consideration someday too. considering he topped 40 without getting top PP says a lot about how good he is offensively.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Slavin and Sanheim are more hyped than Provorov? I don't think so. Truthfully I think Provorov is one of the most hyped young dmen in the league, right up there with Jones and McAvoy in terms of talent and recognition. I really don't think he is underrated at all.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ontarians don’t buy the nhl package to see him. Their team is already on regular cable.

All Sens all the time here baby!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad