Why is Ivan Provorov so damn underrated?

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Not underrated here. Look at every trade proposal where is name came up. A few fools try to snatch him for crap but fans from around the NHL has him in high esteem.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think the OP sees what others sees. He is rated fine by most except those who go out of their way to discount him.

And I said it before, but the Norris talk needs to quiet down. Without him being on the top PP unit, his points will always be suppressed. But that's ok because Philly already has a top 3ish PP guy in Ghost. So they don't "need" Provy to excel there. Be a beast at ES and on the PK because that's what they need.

That's why you also see some saying that long term, they would be fine with Provy not being on the PP at all and just let Sanheim and Myers man the 2nd unit. It will keep Provy fresher, but he will certainly want those minutes. So who knows.

But it will be tough to get Norris votes when a teammate Dman has 20 more points than him. But like Couturier when he was not getting top opportunities, most fans know his value to the team.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is a guy who can potentially challenge for the Norris as soon as this year.

I think if you (not saying you specifically, but in general) don't consider Provorov one of the best young dmen in the game then you're underrating him.

But he is still young. Defense is a position i'd argue players benefit the most from gaining experience.

Last dman winning the Norris at his age was EK and generally it's an award dominated by veteran dmen.

So what im trying to say is, while he's a stud he doesn't even have 200 games under his belt in the league yet. So if i say he's not going to realistically challenge for the Norris this year i don't feel like im underrating him. Assuming he's going to do what he did last year is one thing, but hitting another level so soon is anything but a guarantee. Let's wait and see.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think he’s viewed at least on HF as one of the best young D men in the NHL.

Love me some Provy going back to his WHL days I thought he was one of the most dominant D men I saw play in the dub in years.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Is he? It seems like he's fairly unanimously seen as one of the top young defensemen. I think it's a bit early to talk about the Norris though.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He was brutal in the playoffs last season, deer in headlights bad. It's still fresh in people's minds.

The Penguins really exposed Provorov IMO. I think he's quite overrated on HFBoards, he doesn't have the high-end tools to be a top-pairing guy IMO.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
In general, he is.

Didn't he get snubbed from the TOP 25 Dmen list provided by NHL Network not too long ago? IIRC Werenski was like 14th, and some could argue to take Provy before him.

Silently he tied the Dmen goal scoring last year as well, which is quite remarkable for him.
That's true but people take these lists way too serious. It's one guys opinion and doesn't really show what most fans think of a player. They may have ranked Werenski 14th and Provy not on the list which we all know is ridiculous but there's a pretty recent Provorov vs Werenski poll where Provorov is getting like 75% of the votes.

I think before and even during last season Provorov was a little underrated but I think now going into this season everyone is aware of how good he is. I think he's pretty fairly rates around here at least.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The Penguins really exposed Provorov IMO. I think he's quite overrated on HFBoards, he doesn't have the high-end tools to be a top-pairing guy IMO.
Lol, not only is he not a #1 but he's not even a top pairing guy? Is this serious? I'd love to see a list of the 60+ defenseman that are better than Provorov.

You do know he played the last game and a half with a separated shoulder, right? He literally couldn't handle the puck in game 6 and had at least one goal where he just lost the puck with no pressure on him and it resulted in a goal against. In the first 5 games of the series he was good. The Flyers were dominated but him and Couturier were the bright spots. He played almost half the game and had good possession numbers despite the team being heavily outshot. He may have been a -2 in those 5 games but the team as a whole was outscored like 15-5 at ES so compared to the rest of the lineup he was very good.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lol, not only is he not a #1 but he's not even a top pairing guy? Is this serious?

You do know he played the last game and a half with a separated shoulder, right? He literally couldn't handle the puck in game 6 and had at least one goal where he just lost the puck with no pressure on him and it resulted in a goal against. In the first 5 games of the series he was good. The Flyers were dominated but him and Couturier was the bright spots. He played almost half the game and had good possession numbers despite the team being heavily outshot. He may have been a -2 in those 5 games but the team as a whole was outscored like 15-5 at ES so compared to the rest of the lineup he was very good.

Just a stud and team first guy. Could barely even rotate his arm but he’s out there battling for the team.

Provy is captain material after Giroux. And I hate the Flyers because of Brandon Manning but cannot say enough good things about the type of player Provy is.

Reactions: StoneHands

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
In general, he is.

Didn't he get snubbed from the TOP 25 Dmen list provided by NHL Network not too long ago? IIRC Werenski was like 14th, and some could argue to take Provy before him.

Silently he tied the Dmen goal scoring last year as well, which is quite remarkable for him.

I wouldn't be too concerned with those lists. He was also listed as the 10th choice for Norris candidates by NHL.com I believe. Anyone who knows hockey, knows he's a stud. I was a little down on him lasst year, but when you isolate him and watch him, the talent and IQ is undeniable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
PRovorov is seen as one of the top young defenseman and a top pairing guy. What more do you want?

Reactions: Critical91

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Probably because hes going onto his 3rd season? Last year was great but he was still a guy figuring things out the last couple years. I think this year we see him gain a lot more respect in the hockey world.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Saw: "Why is Provorov so..." from the main page.

Was expecting to see: "Why is Provorov so overrated?"

Thought to myself: "Oh. Someone actually thinks Provorov is overrated and ISN'T in love with him? This should be a refreshing read since all I ever hear is praise"

Conclusion: He is not underrated.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In general, he is.

Yeah. I don't think he's "underrated" here in the sense that people don't recognize he's really good...but underrated in the sense that for some reason, it seems like it's always being couched as something like, "he's one of the best young defencemen" or "he's going to be a stud". Suggesting he's not even close to the Norris conversation. Or leaving him out of Top-25 lists.

Whereas in my estimation at least, he's already comfortably in that Top-15 range, at least knocking on the door of that Top-10, and a better all-around defenceman than some of the guys who tend to get substantial Norris voting attention.

The most remarkable thing to me, is not only that he's way up there in goal-scoring, and that he generates so much of his point production at even strength...but that along the way, he's also shown that pretty special "Franchise D" sort of ability to more or less drag an anchor around with him as a partner.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yeah. I don't think he's "underrated" here in the sense that people don't recognize he's really good...but underrated in the sense that for some reason, it seems like it's always being couched as something like, "he's one of the best young defencemen" or "he's going to be a stud". Suggesting he's not even close to the Norris conversation. Or leaving him out of Top-25 lists.

Whereas in my estimation at least, he's already comfortably in that Top-15 range, at least knocking on the door of that Top-10, and a better all-around defenceman than some of the guys who tend to get substantial Norris voting attention.

The most remarkable thing to me, is not only that he's way up there in goal-scoring, and that he generates so much of his point production at even strength...but that along the way, he's also shown that pretty special "Franchise D" sort of ability to more or less drag an anchor around with him as a partner.

He was in the top 10 of 2 different media lists citing Norris candidates posted so far this September.

The kid is beloved around the league.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
1) he's a d-man,
2) he's young,
3) he's not on a major contender or Canadian team,
4) he's European,
5) he didn't play in the OHL,
6) he's not on the 1st powerplay unit,
7) not the best advanced stats,
8) hasn't hit 50 points in a season

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s not underrated at all. Basically everyone has him as a top pairing or, at worst, #3 dman. Just because Jones is more exciting to watch doesn’t mean Provorov is underrated

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He was brutal in the playoffs last season, deer in headlights bad. It's still fresh in people's minds.

lol what? Dude carried the Flyers Defense in the playoffs and even did so with a badly injured shoulder.

The guy is massively underrated. Even seeing posts in this thread about how he's comparable to McAvoy, just goes to show how underrated he is. He's on an entirely different level to a guy like McAvoy.

He's a legit, high end #1D already and there's very, very few Dmen in the league I would take over Provorov right now especially when age and contract come into the picture. The list more or less ends with Seth Jones, Erik Karlsson, and Victor Hedman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->