Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Maybe OUR 35 year olds are part of the issue. I dont think other teams having old rosters means much. There's younger teams worse thatn the pens. Our guys sure are failing though.

But it's mostly just the pens org is a rudderless ship of chaos and all that has trickled down to ice level

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Maybe OUR 35 year olds are part of the issue. I dont think other teams having old rosters means much. There's younger teams worse thatn the pens. Our guys sure are failing though.

But it's mostly just the pens org is a rudderless ship of chaos and all that has trickled down to ice level

Our guys are failing because of piss poor coaching, piss poor management, and the fact for some reason the Penguins organization thinks it is 2013-14 and they can just play Crosby, Malkin and Letang 20-26 minutes a night and win.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Our guys are failing because of piss poor coaching, piss poor management, and the fact for some reason the Penguins organization thinks it is 2013-14 and they can just play Crosby, Malkin and Letang 20-26 minutes a night and win.
I love the fact some people still say it's the players when we see teams with rosters with LESS talent than the Pens currently in a playoff spot.

Yeah, those powerhouse Flyers and Caps have so much more natural skill available to them than the Pens. Sullivan's not the reason they're ahead in the standings.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

There are a lot of issues, but the age of the core has quite a lot to do with that.

The main issue is that the fanbase,(well, not me), CAN'T and WON'T ACCEPT that the party is over. They had a good run, players can't play forever you know.

If the Pens faithful wanna bellyache how about 2010-15???? That's where the angst should be, we had a ton of talent and squandered it at the hands of Bylsma. THAT you should be upset about. Those guys were in their primes. Granted injuries were part of the issue but that to me is the biggest embarrassment for the team over the last 20 years. Glad our core with Sully came through in 16-17, likely salvaged their legacy.

They're failing because they're over the hill. Maybe now and then you'll see glimpses of a once great -player, but as time goes on they'll fade into obscurity where they belong. They had their time, good for them. But it's over. Accept it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I love the fact some people still say it's the players when we see teams with rosters with LESS talent than the Pens currently in a playoff spot.

Yeah, those powerhouse Flyers and Caps have so much more natural skill available to them than the Pens. Sullivan's not the reason they're ahead in the standings.
Do you love it? How much?

You keep talking about all this skill, what about the age? You're 5 years behind the times. Hell in 2032 you're probably thinking Sid would still be the worlds greatest player.

They're slower and less explosive than they used to be. Just sayin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

You keep talking about all this skill, what about the age? You're 5 years behind the times. Hell in 2032 you're probably thinking Sid would still be the worlds greatest player.

And they are still better than the top pieces on multiple teams ahead of us despite that.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And they are still better than the top pieces on multiple teams ahead of us despite that.
Also, you do understand that the core wants Sully to stay here, right? Maybe blame them there also. If Sid didn't want him here it may make things dicey for Sullivan. So, there's multiple reasons to view the core as inept at this point. Age, diminished skill, and wanting the coach to stay. Whichever reason you choose. The choice is yours!

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Whaddya mean, things are going perfectly. We are tanking while at the same time trotting out Sid and his entourage to sell tickets. Most teams need to conduct a selloff of their top players to really tank it up. This is where HCMS comes in. He is the straw that stirs the losing drink.

FSG is truly diabolical.

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
The thing is, for me at least I could enjoy a rebuild more than this weird in between sort of place where it feels like we are just walking in place and waiting for the inevitable rebuild in two or three years while going nowhere.

Fans like watching young talented players develop so while attendance will be impacted, I don't believe that it will completely crater.
Unfortunately we have no young talented players so there's that.

Come on

Jul 28, 2021
Because why not?

What's the advantage of not doubling down?

Nothing is guaranteed in a rebuild. Teams that are keen on tearing down are honestly more often than not a train wreck even after they do it.
Rebuilding is a joke. You need to try to compete every year as you add youth(especially when your owners are willing to spend to the cap each year). As said before look at Tampa, LV and others. If you want a painful decade, rebuild.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I notice you didn't comment on what makes the Flyers and Caps a more talented roster.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I notice you didn't comment on what makes the Flyers and Caps a more talented roster.
Are they world beaters? No, they just don't suck as bad as we do. That in and of itself isn't saying much. We're the oldest team in the league, that's a fact.

If this was 2017 would they beat us? history tell us no.

Same core, same coach, so what has changed? They aged out.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Because the FO and coach aren't making moves that you would if you were actually in the process of rebuilding. So either they're bad at their jobs, don't think we're rebuilding, or possibly both.

Trading 1 guy isn’t really a rebuild.

Because we aren't rebuilding.

You don't acquire Michael Bunting in a Jake Guentzel trade if you are rebuilding.

I think deep down, we want a good ending to the Sid and Geno era, especially for Sid. Watching such a competitive guy wallow on a shitty team (that is shitty because of a shitty coach and poorly designed) is tough. We want him to squeeze every last bit out of the NHL before it's over.

Now, what I'm about to say is comical because the Penguins have had Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin, but you truly never know if we will ever get a generational talent ever again. We became accustomed to being perennial Stanley cup contenders. Now that those dreams are nearly the end...it's tough.

Much of what I feel has been said in several different ways but mostly this.

We're toeing the line in a haphazard middle of the road approach while making zero moves or adjustments. We trade a 1st to get rid of dead weight + acquire a guy that is a win-now piece, but then keep a system that is a proven failure with a roster that can't support it, is too old to compete in the metro, and too offensively inept to sustain any sort of win streak.

Like, freakin choose a path here. I think that path was to continue to play competitive hockey - which is why the arguments start because their decisions have been comically inept. Who looks at that roster last August and washes their hands of any further improvements? Summer will really tell just how braindead they really are - either fire the coaching staff and go to work on that roster - or keep them around because you're afraid of the optics and watch this team continually tank with zero interest from ticket holders OR television viewers. And if the latter is the case, someone close to Sid needs to encourage him to get the sam F outta there.

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
its hard because the team's GM is faced to rebuild/re-tool around mega star power at the end of their careers which took them to multiple cups , so its a delicate and patient process for Dubas. But will his hand be forced to make the "room shocking" moves before any retirement parties ? Maybe we get a hint of this , over the summer.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so i think dubas's last summer serves as a guide, he'll do a lot of re-working on this roster in the off season, there is a middling chance Jake comes back never know, and then we basically got bunting for free. Jake would be stupid to come back but just saying i could see that happen.

What really should happen is Dubas sits Sid down and tells him we are going all in on re-building and that it would be great if he wants to mentor the next crop but the goal is to become a contender again in X years. Sid getting traded would be seismic in the NHL, and he is the one piece that could legit get us down the road on the rebuild with the return. That won't happen, and I would be personally a bit bummed to see him leave, even though it's the best thing for him and the team.

If we keep limping into the off-season I think Sullivan is on a hot seat at the very least, if not gone in the off season. I predict sullivan gets canned beginning part of next season (before christmas) unless the team is playing bonkers. But at some point when does some people go huh, maybe all these shots and no pitiful scoring percentage is attributable to the F'kd system that sully has. Maybe the PP being so horrendous finally gets a coach canned. But media needs to start calling this crap out. The system just does not work anymore, not only for our personnel but other teams have seen it so much now they are well prepared to play against it.

Player wise, Smith is most likely gone hope he takes Rakell with him. Those two and graves are the biggest turds on the roster for next season. We need a 2nd line center, push Geno to L1 wing and leave him there. He just doesn't have the legs to play a season at center.
Really move Jarry if you can, sell him while he has some value.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Really move Jarry if you can, sell him while he has some value.
Dubas farted that opportunity away with Colorado and New Jersey looking for goalies at the deadline. Two teams unlikely to be on his No trade list.

Dubas has farted in his little Jarry bed, and now he's going to sleep in it. Plus, scraping zero value out of Ned's good season was a nice touch.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm just still kinda bewildered that a 1st wasn't a requirement in any Jake trade. If that means only getting one of those prospects, so be it. Technically, I guess it can still turn into a 1st, but we'll see.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad