Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
They tried to sell the team BEFORE the back to backs

No one wanted it

Then they won

... So i dunno how much the prior ownership was really trying to sell high cause the team hadn't done shit in a bit

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Has it been proven that Pittsburgh can adequately support a mediocre (superstarless) Penguins team financially?

I mean last time (between Mario/Crosby) the team nearly went bankrupt. I don't know about pre-Mario days, but the landscape has changed considerably since then.
Apples to oranges situation. They didn’t nearly move and go bankrupt because of bad attendance or players salaries. They nearly moved because they had an owner who bartered away luxury boxes, radio rights, TV rights in order to keep ownership of the team. The group that financed him received the majority of team arena’s revenue. Anything the team made on gameday, would go to them and not the team. That went out the window during the playoffs which is where the whole ‘Pens needed to go to the second round to collect the millions of revenue that would generate’ thing came into place in the late 90s.

Any team would struggle with that. Plus while I know many don’t like FSG, they have more money than God. They might eventually sell the Pens if they’re bad for the next 10 years but they’re not relocating.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Apples to oranges situation. They didn’t nearly move and go bankrupt because of bad attendance or players salaries. They nearly moved because they had an owner who bartered away luxury boxes, radio rights, TV rights in order to keep ownership of the team. The group that financed him received the majority of team arena’s revenue. Anything the team made on gameday, would go to them and not the team. That went out the window during the playoffs which is where the whole ‘Pens needed to go to the second round to collect the millions of revenue that would generate’ thing came into place in the late 90s.

Any team would struggle with that. Plus while I know many don’t like FSG, they have more money than God. They might eventually sell the Pens if they’re bad for the next 10 years but they’re not relocating.
This supports what you are saying:

In any case, I doubt FSG went into this eyes closed. They basically will take a hit while rebuilding (aka revenue will drop), but should stabilize once they have a real team. Just may not hit the peaks during the cup years, but I'm sure they know that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Has it been proven that Pittsburgh can adequately support a mediocre (superstarless) Penguins team financially?

I mean last time (between Mario/Crosby) the team nearly went bankrupt. I don't know about pre-Mario days, but the landscape has changed considerably since then.
I think this applies to 95% of the teams in the league. There's maybe 4 or 5 teams who will draw sellouts (or near sellouts) even if they're bad. The vast majority will see attendance/financial fluctuations based on where they are in the standings.

I think it also depends on the sentiment of whether ownership is even trying to compete or not. I think the Pen's "dark ages" weren't just standings-related but the general feeling like ownership doesn't even give a shit about turning the franchise around. If FSG actually looks as though they're building toward something, I think the Pens can survive a handful of bad years.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Penguins fan here. Thanks for continuously and mindlessly supporting a bad franchise so that your team can share your hard-earned money with the rest of the league so we can all win the Cup while you guys go to other boards and act like you're at all relevant.
You are most welcome and good luck!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Even at their most utterly pathetic I think the Penguins were drawing ~12K

That's not good but it's not necessarily indicative of a disaster situation re: attendance should they bottom out, either.
A pretty high % of those tickets were $20 student rush tickets, though. They used to not care if you were a student or not, they were just happy to get people in. My buddies and our parents would all get them. Went to like 30 games in 03/04 that way.

When we bottom out again, attendance is gonna be real ugly unless they start giving tickets away and/or lower concession prices to y2k levels. Disposable income is becoming a luxury rather than a norm.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A pretty high % of those tickets were $20 student rush tickets, though. They used to not care if you were a student or not, they were just happy to get people in. My buddies and our parents would all get them. Went to like 30 games in 03/04 that way.

When we bottom out again, attendance is gonna be real ugly unless they start giving tickets away and/or lower concession prices to y2k levels. Disposable income is becoming a luxury rather than a norm.

I think if they lower the prices they will have a full stadium.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think if they lower the prices they will have a full stadium.
There is 0 chance this city is selling out the arena with whatever our next version of Rico Fata and crew will be unless there are a lot of $5 seats. They haven't even been selling out regularly with Crosby and Malkin still playing and chasing down historic records.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
There is 0 chance this city is selling out the arena with whatever our next version of Rico Fata and crew will be unless there are a lot of $5 seats. They haven't even been selling out regularly with Crosby and Malkin still playing and chasing down historic records.

Not saying they will sell out but outside of 03-04 the team was regularly pulling at minimum 14k.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
What rebuild? The Pens are an average PP away to be a 100 pts team…

Fire the coaching stuff and they would have easily made the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad