Why is it hard for some of us to accept that the Penguins are rebuilding?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
To answer the original question:

Because a large portion of the fanbase jumped onboard after they started winning w/Sid & Geno. They've never experienced a losing team. Some will leave as a result.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I wasn't gloating about our lousy team. I was preparing you for the fact that the Boy Genius will do to your team what he did to ours. He already has alienated Crosby and will ruin any hopes for the future. I really wish you luck.

And Dubas maintained the mediocrity, GL bro.

Mediocrity, huh? Giving that franchise way too much credit.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I wasn't gloating about our lousy team. I was preparing you for the fact that the Boy Genius will do to your team what he did to ours. He already has alienated Crosby and will ruin any hopes for the future. I really wish you luck.

And Dubas maintained the mediocrity, GL bro.
Please give us evidence that he’s alienated Crosby. I would love to see or read it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's not about being bad or good. It's about the soulless FSG overlords ruling over the least fun Penguins hockey ever.

I went to 30 games a year during X-Gen and don't need to be told to "embrace the bad years". This era is way, way worse. It's a bunch of corporate bullshit spoonfed by Dubas/FSG cronies.
The X-Gen Pens were more fun because there was hope there that eventually the high draft picks would pay off and the Pens would get somewhere good. And they did.

These Pens are terrible to watch because they aren't bad enough to bottom out completely and also because it's a matter of expectations as well. This team was expected to compete at the least for a playoff spot. Instead they're going to end up nowhere near one, and yet still not bad enough to pick top 5 probably (barring luck).

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I accept for fact that ownership and management intend to compete for as long as Sid is in the uniform, so steps that don't appear to align with that objective are negatively received. I want to see us take one more run at it, or conduct a fire sale. Instead it seems we are going the way of the Red Wings.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The X-Gen Pens were more fun because there was hope there that eventually the high draft picks would pay off and the Pens would get somewhere good. And they did.

These Pens are terrible to watch because they aren't bad enough to bottom out completely and also because it's a matter of expectations as well. This team was expected to compete at the least for a playoff spot. Instead they're going to end up nowhere near one, and yet still not bad enough to pick top 5 probably (barring luck).

The X-Gen Pens were not fun and this idea that they were around here is bizarre.

That team was horrible and the team was also consistently rumored to be relocating during that time.

And that was also only for realistically two seasons. We then immediately got Crosby and Malkin in back to back drafts.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
The X-Gen Pens were not fun and this idea that they were around here is bizarre.

That team was horrible and the team was also consistently rumored to be relocating during that time.

And that was also only for realistically two seasons. We then immediately got Crosby and Malkin in back to back drafts.

Fata looks better than R. Smith :help:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

More fun is maybe the wrong terminology but my point is they were less upsetting than this Pens team.

The X-Gen Pens sucked and nobody expected anything out of them, so watching them lose was whatever. And there was a promise of high draft picks at least.

These Pens were expected to compete for a playoff spot and then fell flat on their faces and Dubas is about to double down on the thing that made them bad (Sullivan). And we're about to lose one of our first round picks either this year or next and said pick might well be a high one. So even if this team loses a lot next year it won't even have the silver lining of losing picks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
More fun is maybe the wrong terminology but my point is they were less upsetting than this Pens team.

The X-Gen Pens sucked and nobody expected anything out of them, so watching them lose was whatever. And there was a promise of high draft picks at least.

These Pens were expected to compete for a playoff spot and then fell flat on their faces and Dubas is about to double down on the thing that made them bad (Sullivan). And we're about to lose one of our first round picks either this year or next and said pick might well be a high one. So even if this team loses a lot next year it won't even have the silver lining of losing picks.
And maybe it's through nostalgia-tinted glasses, but those teams at least seemed to work hard. They just had shit for talent.

Sullivan's Penguins don't seem to give a shit 90% of the time and Sullivan has them playing the absolute most boring game possible.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The XGen years were absolutely more fun as a fan, it's not even really questionable. The team sucked, but who cares? It was easy to root for the underdog and losses meant something (good draft picks, hope that the guys picked would help out). This slow, miserable death of the era is an infinitely worse experience.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

Ehhh, totally disagree. Could be I've grown old and cynical, but the vibes were never as bad as they are now.

It has everything to do with ownership + management. You could tell Craig Patrick and his identity was aligned with the Penguins. We didn't have money but there was "soul". There was worry over the future of the franchise, yes, but I wouldn't say the pessimism was anything like the 5 year over-expired Mike Sullivan led shitshow we have today.

There is none of that "soul" in the FSG era. And if you ask me it's more apparent than ever under Dubas.

Ultimately I just don't trust anything comes out of that little nerd's mouth. I really don't like him as the figurehead of the Pens franchise. Bad vibes, worst ever for me by far.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
we older fans don't know anything more than younger fans, we're just all idiots posting about hockey on the internet. lol.
Well... in the united states (at least in general) age and wisdom are scoffed at and mostly disrespected.
Age discrimination !
Sad really.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
The only rebuilding team terrified and reluctant to play what little young players they have.
Don't forget oldest team in the league with the most stubborn head coach in the league.

The combo of all of those things is just insane. We deserve this hellish limbo we're in for all of those things. Ownership and management just don't want to budge.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Difficult to remember exactly.
I was.... in my late teens so... the mindset was different. The time was different. The music was different. Everything was different. The feel.... is not just different, but it has gone. The feel changed and I don't see it coming back until HCMS is GONE.
I don't like this hockey. I will not support it. I don't care what definition I get described as... but who in their right mind watches something they get no enjoyment from?

I'd rather the revolving door of nobodies trying their best to make it to the big-time... than..... than the old mans retirement community.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Getting Karlsson was the biggest blue-ball. How do you get EK65 to play with Sid and Geno then do an about-face in under 8 months?

If you're going to sell then sell. If you're going to give Sid a chance to keep competing then do that. What is FSG's obsession with being smack dab in the middle?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ehhh, totally disagree. Could be I've grown old and cynical, but the vibes were never as bad as they are now.

It has everything to do with ownership + management. You could tell Craig Patrick and his identity was aligned with the Penguins. We didn't have money but there was "soul". There was worry over the future of the franchise, yes, but I wouldn't say the pessimism was anything like the 5 year over-expired Mike Sullivan led shitshow we have today.

There is none of that "soul" in the FSG era. And if you ask me it's more apparent than ever under Dubas.

Ultimately I just don't trust anything comes out of that little nerd's mouth. I really don't like him as the figurehead of the Pens franchise. Bad vibes, worst ever for me by far.

The Penguins were selling our best players for cash during the X Generation.

I feel like a ton of this is just nostalgia because that team turned into Sid and Malkin.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Even though a Penguins "rebuild" was eventually going to happen, I've noticed that some people seem to have a hard time understanding and accepting that we may not be a contender for "awhile" (until 2030, which is my prediction)

However, sports fans aren't satisfied (during a rebuild) until their team becomes a contender again, which means that we'll just have to deal with it until we return to NHL relevance...

IMO, since the Penguins drafted Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, etc) our current generation of Penguin fans may have some issues accepting the fact that we may not be good for some time, even though this happens throughout the sports world:

Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks, LA Kings, Tampa Bay Lightning, Vegas Golden Knights, New England Patriots, Kansas City Chiefs, etc...

On an extra note, hopefully the Penguins will draft within the Top 5-10 (until they become contenders again) along with possibly winning the draft lottery as well...
You're asking fans to accept their fate and the organization is giving guys like Rakell & Rust 5+ year contracts?????

WAKE UP

Reactions: BusinessGoose

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Don't forget oldest team in the league with the most stubborn head coach in the league.

The combo of all of those things is just insane. We deserve this hellish limbo we're in for all of those things. Ownership and management just don't want to budge.
Oilers are now the oldest.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's not about being bad or good. It's about the soulless FSG overlords ruling over the least fun Penguins hockey ever.

I went to 30 games a year during X-Gen and don't need to be told to "embrace the bad years". This era is way, way worse. It's a bunch of corporate bullshit spoonfed by Dubas/FSG cronies.
Oh bro, you don’t know how good you have it now compared to the early 80s. Those were dark years. Hate to tell you, most pro sports are part of corporations.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad