Why is Gretzky so underrated on HF?

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Nobody has a case for challenging Gretzky.

Lemieux achieved Gretzky's level twice in his career. Gretzky held that same level for 5-8 seasons depending on how you look at it, and Gretzky's post-peak career is also significantly better than Lemieux's.

Better peak, better prime, better longevity, I really don't know what the real world case is for Lemieux.

Interesting, I am starting to see what the OP was talking about.

Those who fantasize about pace and projections are the ones who think Lemieux was better or at least his equal. Lemieux is my second favorite player ever, it’s not a knock on him (or any of the greats and many other players games I’ve admired) but Gretzky bested him in every single way, reality wise based on what actually happening and even projected pace. Unfortunately for them, Gretzky played the games and is the living embodiment of projections coming true. You could project some what ifs if his back wasn’t blown out but what’s the point? He’s already the greatest and it’s not even close.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
He may well be the most known, you got me there. :)

Gretzky's career PPG is 1.92, Lemieux's at 1.88. I dare say that the powerhouse team Gretzky had around him had something to do with this small margin in Gretzky's favour. You reverse the teams they played with and I'm confident that Lemieux would be leading in this category. Say Gretzky was the better player, that's fine, hell I agree with you but I have no idea how anyone can say there's not even a debate to be had here.

You don’t think it could possibly have something to do with Gretzky actually playing all those extra games in his old age could it? He had about 2,100 points around the 900 game mark in comparison to Lemieux’s career game total. He played 570 regular season games more than Lemieux. If Lemieux has already slipped back to 1.88 by game 915 (I’m fully aware of all his ailments and the comeback etc), I really doubt he would have been at 1.93 ppg by game number 1,487. You can see it with Crosby in real time. He has a great ppg and was fifth all time at one point but it’s beginning to slip because of the natural order of age and wear and tear from number of games played.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Gretzky's career PPG is 1.92, Lemieux's at 1.88. I dare say that the powerhouse team Gretzky had around him had something to do with this small margin in Gretzky's favour. You reverse the teams they played with and I'm confident that Lemieux would be leading in this category. Say Gretzky was the better player, that's fine, hell I agree with you but I have no idea how anyone can say there's not even a debate to be had here.

That is a terrible comparison because Gretzky played approximately twice as many games as Lemieux into his 30s.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You don’t think it could possibly have something to do with Gretzky actually playing all those extra games in his old age could it? He had about 2,100 points around the 900 game mark in comparison to Lemieux’s career game total. He played 570 regular season games more than Lemieux. If Lemieux has already slipped back to 1.88 by game 915 (I’m fully aware of all his ailments and the comeback etc), I really doubt he would have been at 1.93 ppg by game number 1,487. You can see it with Crosby in real time. He has a great ppg and was fifth all time at one point but it’s beginning to slip because of the natural order of age and wear and tear from number of games played.

That is a terrible comparison because Gretzky played approximately twice as many games as Lemieux into his 30s.

So you want to ignore the supporting casts of these players, OK.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
So you want to ignore the supporting casts of these players, OK.

Gretzky was on a dynasty that was a championship team even without him - that's a big factor obviously.

But then again Lemieux had 6 other hall of famers on his team when they won the two cups.

Gretzky was not surrounded by greatness for the ~800 games he played after leaving Edmonton.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You guys might also want to check out how many (or I should say how few) games Lemieux played when he won the scoring title in 1992-93. Did I mention that his scoring pace for that season meant that had he managed to stay healthy and maintained that pace, he might have obliterated Gretzky's single season records for both goals and points?

Gretzky was healthier longer and his (much) better supporting cast helped his numbers a ton as well. Peak Lemieux however takes a back seat to nobody.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gretzky was on a dynasty that was a championship team even without him - that's a big factor obviously.

But then again Lemieux had 6 other hall of famers on his team when they won the two cups.

Gretzky was not surrounded by greatness for the ~800 games he played after leaving Edmonton.

Yeah I don't remember all the details there TBH but wasn't one of the HOFers Paul Coffey? Who do you think was better, the young Coffey who played with Gretzky or the older version who played with Lemieux?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
You guys might also want to check out how many (or I should say how few) games Lemieux played when he won the scoring title in 1992-93. Did I mention that his scoring pace for that season meant that had he managed to stay healthy and maintained that pace, he might have obliterated Gretzky's single season records for both goals and points?

Gretzky was healthier longer and his (much) better supporting cast helped his numbers a ton as well. Peak Lemieux however takes a back seat to nobody.

Obviously Lemieux and that particular season (as well as his entire career) was wildly impressive. I don’t get what youre trying to say with your first point though. Gretzky had scoring titles on lock by the time the All Star break hit (and realistically you knew he was going to win every time before the season started). So sure, it’s impressive that Lemieux won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games. His “pace” because of an 84 game season was 97 goals and 224 points. Gretzky did 92 and 215 in 80 games....project his totals to 84 games (since everyone loves giving free games and full credit to Lemieux) and we’re looking at 97 goals and 226 points. In no way would Lemieux have obliterated any records, real or projected. It’s also more likely that if Mario actually played those games, he would have fallen a little short (he likely would have gotten to Gretzky’s standard 200 points for the first and only time).

Gretzky consistently put up his video game numbers over whole seasons, there’s very little projecting to be had. Mario’s health should not be used as something to prop up his case, other than having an incredible season in between sessions of chemo which is truly remarkable. Overall it should be a knock just like how Gretzky’s health and actually producing what he did in actuality should be seen more as a strength. We shouldn’t just give free goals and points out and just assume that one guy could have done what only one player ever did for so long and so consistently.

The Oilers won 4 Cups with Gretzky and 1 without him (impressively). But you’re crazy if you don’t think that team still had Gretzky’s DNA all over it and there wasn’t some burning desire to show they could win without him. It’s a perfect storm we’ll never know about otherwise. He contributed to them developing into those players that won that Cup. This argument has always been lazy because almost everyone just looks at its surface level result (they won a cup and Gretzky wasn’t on the team)...I’ve seen very few argue the cause and effect of having Gretzky at the beginning of that Dynasty until the near end.

It reminds me of the Bulls in a way. Sure they didn’t win the Finals without Jordan, but they got damn close to making it without him and then who knows what happens then. But with Jordan they are a dynasty. With Gretzky, they’re in the argument for greatest dynasty in the sport. Without him, they win a cup and are an interesting sort of footnote that allows this argument some room to breath. Would the Oilers have dispatched the Flames the same way Gretzky’s Kings did in the first round that opened the door for any other team in the West to have the chance to get to the Finals?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Obviously Lemieux and that particular season (as well as his entire career) was wildly impressive. I don’t get what youre trying to say with your first point though. Gretzky had scoring titles on lock by the time the All Star break hit (and realistically you knew he was going to win every time before the season started). So sure, it’s impressive that Lemieux won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games. His “pace” because of an 84 game season was 97 goals and 224 points. Gretzky did 92 and 215 in 80 games....project his totals to 84 games (since everyone loves giving free games and full credit to Lemieux) and we’re looking at 97 goals and 226 points. In no way would Lemieux have obliterated any records, real or projected. It’s also more likely that if Mario actually played those games, he would have fallen a little short (he likely would have gotten to Gretzky’s standard 200 points for the first and only time).

Gretzky consistently put up his video game numbers over whole seasons, there’s very little projecting to be had. Mario’s health should not be used as something to prop up his case, other than having an incredible season in between sessions of chemo which is truly remarkable. Overall it should be a knock just like how Gretzky’s health and actually producing what he did in actuality should be seen more as a strength. We shouldn’t just give free goals and points out and just assume that one guy could have done what only one player ever did for so long and so consistently.

The Oilers won 4 Cups with Gretzky and 1 without him (impressively). But you’re crazy if you don’t think that team still had Gretzky’s DNA all over it and there wasn’t some burning desire to show they could win without him. It’s a perfect storm we’ll never know about otherwise. He contributed to them developing into those players that won that Cup. This argument has always been lazy because almost everyone just looks at its surface level result (they won a cup and Gretzky wasn’t on the team)...I’ve seen very few argue the cause and effect of having Gretzky at the beginning of that Dynasty until the near end.

It reminds me of the Bulls in a way. Sure they didn’t win the Finals without Jordan, but they got damn close to making it without him and then who knows what happens then. But with Jordan they are a dynasty. With Gretzky, they’re in the argument for greatest dynasty in the sport. Without him, they win a cup and are an interesting sort of footnote that allows this argument some room to breath. Would the Oilers have dispatched the Flames the same way Gretzky’s Kings did in the first round that opened the door for any other team in the West to have the chance to get to the Finals?

You're right, the word "obliterated" was a bit much, I should have just said that he would have beat Gretzky's records had he maintained his pace. As far as you saying he would have likely fallen short had he stayed healthy, I call BS as I see no basis for this whatsoever.

As far as health goes, I said earlier that I agree, Gretzky's longevity is a point in his favour for sure but peak Lemieux takes a back seat to nobody. I also earlier pointed out Howe's accomplishments some of which surpass what Gretzky was able to and he did in it a much tougher era so there's an argument to be made that Howe>Gretzky, what are your thoughts on that?

As far as the rest of your lengthy post, the fact that EDM won a cup even without Gretzky only goes to support my case - Gretzky's supporting cast was far superior to what Lemieux had. It also sounds like you're trying to give Gretzky himself some of the credit for the cup they won when he was playing for another team? Sorry but that's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

illpucks

May 26, 2011
If Gretzky is underrated, it is mostly by the people who ridiculously think Lemieux is on his level.
Lemieux looked better visually. Gretzky's highlights aren't as good as they should be. You would think he could take a slapshot from his own blue line and score with ease

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
well, watch a few highlights. many if not most of the goals you see would not go in against modern goalies.
Yet somehow nobody else in that eras was able to do what Gretzky did.

Gretzky would still be a superstar in todays game. Give him better skates, sticks, equipment, flying in private jets not commercial airlines, better training, nutrition, coaching, video analysis, 3on3 OT, etc.. All of it. Gretzky would still be the GOAT.

His vision and passing ability is unparalleled. Deceptively good shot for his time too.

It's a shame the under 30 HF'ers don't understand how good he really was.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Who is underrating Gretz around here?
I think that the 1 thing 99% of this board can agree on is that career wise there is Gretz and there is everybody else below him
With that being said i would take Lemieux over Gretz if we were talking for one season only and both in their prime

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
When Gretzky left his stacked dynasty team he was only 27. For the first time in both of their careers they were both prime. Healthy... and on similar teams.... let the 89 season begin. One guy was obliterated by 31 points and after that the other was never healthy again.

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
His numbers, like any players during the 80s are inflated against any other time period. Doesn't mean he wasn't the best, but the numbers do lie to some extent when compared to players today and everybody knows it.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Who is underrating Gretz around here?
I think that the 1 thing 99% of this board can agree on is that career wise there is Gretz and there is everybody else below him
With that being said i would take Lemieux over Gretz if we were talking for one season only and both in their prime
See 88-89

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
He may well be the most known, you got me there. :)

As much as you think it's funny being the most known is certainly a part of being the greatest. Convenient how you left out the fact that Gretzky hold all the records and got double Orr's(Or Marios really) career value pretty much.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
What an odd question. Gretzky is universally acknowledged as the greatest hockey player ever. People tend to overrate current players because they seem them more. It's not like the younger crowd sits there and watches Gretzky's highlights all night. Besides, seeing the competition / goalies of Gretzky's prime years puts a little damper on things. I wish we could see Gretzky in today's NHL. I bet he would be amazing, given the success that smaller, cerebral players have had in the past few years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
As much as you think it's funny being the most known is certainly a part of being the greatest.

LOL OK, whatever you say.

Convenient how you left out the fact that Gretzky hold all the records and got double Orr's(Or Marios really) career value pretty much.

I have addressed this, how did you miss it? Wait, are you having trouble with the words "longevity" and "peak"? May I suggest that you spend a bit of time on www.dictionary.com and try again.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I just watched a highlight video of Gretsky.
He was clearly 8 steps ahead of everyone else. He knew how everyone else was going to react.
There was no wasted motion, there was no wasted motion.
There's alot of subtlety, which isn't appreciated by people with short attention spans ie those seeking cool highlights.

I guess its "edgy" to say Gretsky wouldn't score those goals.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What an odd question. Gretzky is universally acknowledged as the greatest hockey player ever. People tend to overrate current players because they seem them more. It's not like the younger crowd sits there and watches Gretzky's highlights all night. Besides, seeing the competition / goalies of Gretzky's prime years puts a little damper on things. I wish we could see Gretzky in today's NHL. I bet he would be amazing, given the success that smaller, cerebral players have had in the past few years.

Granted I haven't this entire thread but is this really an issue? In other discussions I've seen on this subject the only players that ever get brought up besides Gretzky are Orr, Lemieux and Howe. I think most people have them as the top 4 ever to play the game though the order varies wildly and obviously, none of them are current players.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
If he would play today, his numbers would be easily beatable by someone from '80s, what argument you're going to use to make him better? 80's was a high scoring era? But it's an invalid argument according to many older people here.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think everyone is missing the biggest knock out there. Gretzky didn't play for the Leafs. If he had played for the Leafs he'd not only be the greatest hockey player ever, but jesus christ incarnate. I mean f***, they think Nylander is an elite player. Imagine what they'd think of Gretzky if he played there.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think everyone is missing the biggest knock out there. Gretzky didn't play for the Leafs. If he had played for the Leafs he'd not only be the greatest hockey player ever, but jesus christ incarnate. I mean ****, they think Nylander is an elite player. Imagine what they'd think of Gretzky if he played there.

Yeah. Look at how hyped Sundin is/was compared to his actual accomplishments.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He's not underrated.

He's the Best player Ever but I will say Mario also was the best player ever. Gretzky pretty much did everything on the ice, creative, fantastic vision. But Mario the moment he stepped foot on the ice he was like in a completly different league and I'm not playing with words, NHL was pro A and he was pro AA where they could have created another league for him. He was a superior being on the ice like when you're a kid and you play with your slightly older brother, you cannot possibly best him. That was Mario in comparison to the other players. Mario was Superman, Gretzky was Iron Man/Tony Stark maybe as far natural talent vs thinking skills(Wayne was known for praticing his shot and new moves all the time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad