Why is atlantic Canada dominated by leafs/habs/bruins when the sens are their official team.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
I can't understand this, Ottawa has one of the smallest markets in the league, you have 2 million+ people living in the East. It's technically their territory and yet they let the habs bruins and leafs have their way?

Why on earth wouldn't they be marketing their players in that area?

EDIT: I understand the history of why the 06 is so dominant.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I don't know maybe because there fairly new and the others have been in NHL for a lot longer? I know Ottawa had a team in the early days but then nothing until Sens came back. Gonna assume in meantime people became fans of the teams that were around and their kids followed them ??
this is the correct answer.

same reason there are a ton of bruins fans out here

in NS we have a pretty big pens fanbase as well, but curiously, not so much the avs... maybe that will change if Nate can bring a cup back home

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
You can't underestimate the lineage of O6 teams. You'll have kids who are Habs fans who's parents and grandparents were Habs fans and it gets passed down through generation. Ottawa hasn't been around long enough for that yet.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
You can't underestimate the lineage of O6 teams. You'll have kids who are Habs fans who's parents and grandparents were Habs fans and it gets passed down through generation. Ottawa hasn't been around long enough for that yet.
the only reason I was in a position to CHOOSE a team for myself rather than just following my dad's team is because my dad's team (Jets) literally didn't exist circa me becoming a fan.

I know A LOT of habs and toronto fans, and they are all legacy fans. they follow their team because their families raised them to love them.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
the only reason I was in a position to CHOOSE a team for myself rather than just following my dad's team is because my dad's team (Jets) literally didn't exist circa me becoming a fan.

I know A LOT of habs and toronto fans, and they are all legacy fans. they follow their team because their families raised them to love them.
Yeah, definitely.

I think it has less to do with success (Leafs, Nucks for example) and more to do with exposure. When I was a kid, the games were on in my house non-stop. And once you're hooked, you're hooked. Good team or bad.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't understand this, Ottawa has one of the smallest markets in the league, you have 2 million+ people living in the East. It's technically their territory and yet they let the habs bruins and leafs have their way?

In addition to the O6, the Habs and Leafs have each had their top farm teams in the maritimes quite a bit. The Leafs have had close to 20 year of AHL teams in the Maritimes and the Habs close to 25, while the Sens haven't had any.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
How is Atlantic Canada in Sens territory?
it isn't IMO.

Atlantic Canada is the wild west. We love hockey but since we have no team to call our own, you will see a ton of different logos in the avg. crowd.

I would rank Penguins, Habs, Bruins above the Senators in terms of popularity here in NS easily. Hell I would say even teams like Vancouver, Edmonton are just as popular as a relatively young team like Ottawa.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
One reason the Bruins are so popular in Atlantic Canada is because of Bobby Orr and WSBK Channel 38.

“TV38” in Boston used to broadcast Bruins games and the UHF signal reached Nova Scotia, parts of New Brunswick, and even parts of Quebec. The Bruins resurrection of the late ‘60s and ‘70s was broadcast live and in color in Canada, and people climbed aboard. A foothold was established and it lasts to this day.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
In terms of history, countless people from Atlantic Canada have come to work in the shipyards/other industries in Boston and New York over the past few hundred years. In that regard, some Newfoundlanders that grew up before 1950 often felt a closer connection to the United States than to Canada.

There are a lot of cultural similarities between parts of New England and Atlantic Canada. They share both significant land and sea borders and undergo significant tourist and trade interaction to this day.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

What do you mean that the east is the Sens territory? If you are talking from a regional TV perspective, I'm pretty sure they share the same territory with the habs which extends from parts of Ontario to the Atlantic.

Last edited:

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
In terms of history, countless people from Atlantic Canada have come to work in the shipyards/other industries in Boston and New York over the past few hundred years. In that regard, some Newfoundlanders that grew up before 1950 often felt a closer connection to the United States than to Canada.

There are a lot of cultural similarities between parts of New England and Atlantic Canada. They share both significant land and sea borders and undergo significant tourist and trade interaction to this day.

i would think the Newfies are Leafs fans because of the St John’s Maple Leafs

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
What makes the Sens our "official team"?

Traditional teams, pre 67 expansion, are king out here. Simple as that.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Nobody cares about the Sens in Ottawa so why would they here?

I live in Halifax and the Penguin (until Crosby retires) are prob 2nd, 3rd or 4th for fans. All the sports retailers since 2005 have been half Pens gear,

I hope to see less Leafs fans in the next gen. Bastards don't deserve to have local fans, let alone national

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I live in Atlantic Canada. I somehow missed when Ottawa was designated the region's official team. I do know that Boston is the closest team, is a prominent team dating back to the original 6 days, and many people from the region have ties to Boston in terms of family and work. Montreal is also closer to here than Ottawa is, is a far more successful and prominent team. Montreal is the team that was on Hockey Night in Canada for decades when that might be the only game that most people saw in a week. Acadians also tend to support Montreal. Toronto is the most prominent team, gets the most media coverage, and many people have economic and family ties to Toronto.

I can only think of one person I've met who is an Ottawa fan honestly. I've seen at least a few Golden Knights fans, somehow.

Reactions: Korg

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The Senators are nowhere near Atlantic Canada... how is it "their" territory? Boston is the closest, no? And Montreal is closer. And FWIW, the Senators barely even have a majority (if that) in their own city. Ottawa is filled with Habs and Leafs fans in addition to Sens fans.

Reactions: donghabs98

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
this is the correct answer.

same reason there are a ton of bruins fans out here

in NS we have a pretty big pens fanbase as well, but curiously, not so much the avs... maybe that will change if Nate can bring a cup back home
It's a correct answer to a question that was never asked.

I said I'm aware of the history, that has nothing to do with what the sens do as an entity.

The sens have been in Ottawa as far as my memory takes me.

I've never heard or seen anything sens related in Atlantic in my entire life.

No players visiting the region, no promotions etc etc etc.

There's also nothing in the sens arena that suggest it even has an east coast connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad