Why is atlantic Canada dominated by leafs/habs/bruins when the sens are their official team.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I'm in Ontario and we would use the term Newfie and about 1000 jokes around it to describe people of Newfoundland as ....in essence....stupid.
but that is no different than how we use the term Torontonian to mean "yuppie"

just because people denigrate the place and its people doesnt mean anything inherently is wrong with the term.

sounds like you guys are awful mean to Newfoundlanders

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why is Atlantic Canada part of Ottawa's TV territory? My understanding is that you can blame the Leafs. Basically, when the Sens joined the league in 1992, they wanted to share Ontario with the Leafs and the Leafs refuse to make a deal. So, Ottawa made a deal with Montreal to share territories. As a result, both Ottawa and Montreal are the regional team (tv-wise) for everywhere east of the Belleville-Pembroke line in Ontario. A few years back, I believe the Leafs and Sens made a deal to share the eastern half of Northern Ontario and some territory just west of the Belleville-Pembroke line. The Leafs share the western half of Northern Ontario with the Jets.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can't understand this, Ottawa has one of the smallest markets in the league, you have 2 million+ people living in the East. It's technically their territory and yet they let the habs bruins and leafs have their way?

Why on earth wouldn't they be marketing their players in that area?

EDIT: I understand the history of why the 06 is so dominant.

Over 100 years of tradition

varano

Jun 27, 2013
but that is no different than how we use the term Torontonian to mean "yuppie"

just because people denigrate the place and its people doesnt mean anything inherently is wrong with the term.

sounds like you guys are awful mean to Newfoundlanders

Yuppies is a term for rich snobs.

I explained myself and you just wanted to use it as an opportunity to try to be a white knight. Like I didn't see that coming.....

Thanks for your input. I'll let myself from 30 years ago know About your feedback

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Off topic but from what I've heard through the years one reason why the Bruins have a hold in Quebec is because many were once Nordiques fans and refused to support the Habs once they lost their team. On top of that there is the fact many Quebecois went to work in New England so fandom also stems from there as well as many other reasons.

Regarding Sens: definitely not a maritime team so why the surprise?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I can't understand this, Ottawa has one of the smallest markets in the league, you have 2 million+ people living in the East. It's technically their territory and yet they let the habs bruins and leafs have their way?

Why does geography have to dictate the official team? Id think the team you are a fan of is the official team...

The NHL is one business, whats good for the big teams is good for the NHL. They arent competing against each other in the way you think.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Mostly because they havnt been around very long and their owner is a white collar criminal that ppl don’t want to support.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Off topic but from what I've heard through the years one reason why the Bruins have a hold in Quebec is because many were once Nordiques fans and refused to support the Habs once they lost their team. On top of that there is the fact many Quebecois went to work in New England so fandom also stems from there as well as many other reasons.

Regarding Sens: definitely not a maritime team so why the surprise?

I believe Patrice Bergeron grew up a Nords fan so it's kind of interesting that he's spent a large portion of his both youth and professional life either rooting for or working for arch-rivals of the Canadiens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad