Why is atlantic Canada dominated by leafs/habs/bruins when the sens are their official team.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
You can't underestimate the lineage of O6 teams. You'll have kids who are Habs fans who's parents and grandparents were Habs fans and it gets passed down through generation. Ottawa hasn't been around long enough for that yet.
And you have people like myself who never wanted any part of the conflict between the habs and leafs members of my family.

People like myself who don't like following teams when their games are never on tv.

Fans like myself who don't struggle to follow more than one team.

You're also radically overestimating how many people stick to their parents team, when it isn't the default team of the area.

Last edited:

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
The Senators are nowhere near Atlantic Canada... how is it "their" territory? Boston is the closest, no? And Montreal is closer. And FWIW, the Senators barely even have a majority (if that) in their own city. Ottawa is filled with Habs and Leafs fans in addition to Sens fans.
It's the magic of how the territorial rights of Eastern Canada are divided. French Quebec is montreal, anything south of belleville is Toronto.

And FWIW, the Senators barely even have a majority (if that) in their own city. Ottawa is filled with Habs and Leafs fans in addition to Sens fans

This is exactly why these sould be more active in atlantic canada.

The heck does the Sens have to do with the east? Both MTL and BOS are much closer to the Maritimes than OTT.

It's their broadcast territory.

It's the default team in Newfoundland.

If you have bell it's either them or watching Montreal games in French.

What do you mean that the east is the Sens territory? If you are talking from a regional TV perspective, I'm pretty sure they share the same territory with the habs which extends from parts of Ontario to the Atlantic.

Far as I know it's only the french langauge hab games that are local.

You get a scattered game of the habs but it isn't the local unless you're willing to watch RDS.

NdqUsqnPHZuzwvmM5iBth79Hax6F0Cm_HLG9FJCzP-Qw9NjvCXm-KLB7hHDbiQguMI1BAyla2M95MwNcCytGIQ5o8qCtm_S8BUxLW3qCXolMQw

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There were no Senators fans when I was a kid. No Pens fans either. Just Bruins, Habs, and Leafs.

I can maybe imagine the Senators catching up in another 30 years. It's easy peasy to watch whatever team you want so I don't really know if territorial rights means that much.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
There were no Senators fans when I was a kid. No Pens fans either. Just Bruins, Habs, and Leafs.

I can maybe imagine the Senators catching up in another 30 years. It's easy peasy to watch whatever team you want so I don't really know if territorial rights means that much.
Leafs are probably still 3rd. and I would bet there's more Oiler and Flames fans then Sens fans

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
You're also radically overestimating how many people stick to their parents team, when it isn't the default team of the area.

My point is, it's harder for a kid to pick their own team when they grow up in a family that is already biased toward one team. Sure there's kids that will overcome that and pick a different team anyway but I would say the majority will just adopt their family's team.

So in Ottawa's case, you have Leafs or Habs fans who's families had selected them as their team before the Sens were even around. And those families still cheer on those teams to this day even though they're in a non-Leaf/Hab area.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
i would think the Newfies are Leafs fans because of the St John’s Maple Leafs

Isn't newfie a derogatory term? I'm American so I legitimately don't know, but I thought it was. Am I wrong here?

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
As others have said, there are very few Ottawa Senators fans in the Atlantic Provinces.....and there are no significant reasons why there would be.

Obviously, very large contingents of Habs and Leafs fans, followed by Bruins, and then Penguins.

I suspect there are more Pens fans per capita in Nova Scotia than anywhere else in Canada, and I suspect there are more Bruins fans per capita in the English-speaking parts of New Brunswick (Saint John, St. Stephen, Sussex, Fredericton, Woodstock areas, etc.) than anywhere else in Canada, probably followed by Nova Scotia.

Acadians probably cheer for the Habs more than anybody outside Quebec, and lots of everybody else in Atlantic Canada are Habs fans too.

Last edited:

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Atlantic Canada isn't Sens territory. It was traditionally Habs territory. When the Sens re-joined the NHL, the Habs agreed to share their territory with the Sens, so Habs fans in Ottawa can watch their games, plus they believe in their brand and don't fear other teams' local broadcasts from being shown in Quebec and the East. So, east is shared between Habs and Sens. It could be shared with the Leafs too, but their insecurity complex and greed led them to not share territory with the Sens, and Habs too. The Leafs will do anything to ensure Habs and Sens local broadcasts will never be on TV in Leafs territory. Even though they are screwing their fans that live in Ottawa, Quebec, and Atlantic from seeing Leafs local broadcasts.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Maybe because there are much better teams, a lot closer, with a lot more history, and there is nothing at all that makes Ottawa appealing to the East coast, let alone "their team".

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Born and raised in the Maritimes it has always been Leafs/Habs/Bruins country.

There are some Sens fans but as mentioned already they are still considered new compared to the others.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Atlantic Canada isn't Sens territory. It was traditionally Habs territory. When the Sens re-joined the NHL, the Habs agreed to share their territory with the Sens, so Habs fans in Ottawa can watch their games, plus they believe in their brand and don't fear other teams' local broadcasts from being shown in Quebec and the East. So, east is shared between Habs and Sens. It could be shared with the Leafs too, but their insecurity complex and greed led them to not share territory with the Sens, and Habs too. The Leafs will do anything to ensure Habs and Sens local broadcasts will never be on TV in Leafs territory. Even though they are screwing their fans that live in Ottawa, Quebec, and Atlantic from seeing Leafs local broadcasts.

As somebody in Thunder Bay, ON(ie Northwestern Ontario), I know we get both the Jets and Leafs and I believe we get the Sens(I know we used to back before i started getting game center)

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
In the case of Montreal it is without a doubt the French language connection. New Brunswick (38%) French is the primary language.

After proximity to Montreal it is the record of success (# of cups) and then as njdevils1982 points out above the Voyaguers created huge Habs loyalty in the province with their two AHL Calder Cups here in Halifax. I know this first hand having grown up next to the forum in Halifax and our family being a billet for the Montreal Jr. Canadiens (and the Vees).

In the case of Boston people have mentioned cultural connections and that is true with many Atlantic Canadian families having worked in or having members of their families in New England. But I think the real reason is the out-pouring of aid Halifax received after the Halifax Explosion on Dec 6, 1917. It was the Boston Red Cross and the Massachusetts Public Safety Committee that immediately came to the aid of this shattered city before anyone did and not only provided doctors, nurses, food, etc but actually helped to rebuild the city. We still send a 40 foot tall Christmas tree each year to Boston. I have participated in that tree lighting ceremony before and Nova Scotia spends 400K on the spectacle every year (both mayor's, govt officials, concert featuring NS artists, etc). Its a GREAT show in the common every year. Atlantic Canadians' historic relationship with New England, or the "Boston States, arguably goes back to the 18th century when first the New England Planters then the United Empire Loyalists established the first major British settlements in the region, but intensified in the late 19th century when post-Confederation economic malaise in Atlantic Canada combined with a huge demand for labour in industrial New England to create a massive shift southwards.

Boston–Halifax relations - Wikipedia

Why Nova Scotians Send A Christmas Tree To Boston Every Year

I would say for the Bruins it was also cup success in the '70's, Bobby Orr, Glen Murray, Don Sweeney and now Brad.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
You're not wrong. In my opinion, the term shouldn't be used, except in very limited contexts.

Here's an article about it:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/newfoundland-1.4115872

Thanks. I've never used the term to describe a person because I was uncertain about the connotation but that article helped fill me in. I have no Newfoundland or Maritime roots but my wife does; part of her family came from the UK and Ireland to both Newfoundland and Nova Scotia (and possibly Quebec; there's some French names buried in there somewhere?) in the 19th century and made their way to New England at some point afterwards.

In the case of Montreal it is without a doubt the French language connection. New Brunswick (38%) French is the primary language.

After proximity to Montreal it is the record of success (# of cups) and then as njdevils1982 points out above the Voyaguers created huge Habs loyalty in the province with their two AHL Calder Cups here in Halifax. I know this first hand having grown up next to the forum in Halifax and our family being a billet for the Montreal Jr. Canadiens (and the Vees).

In the case of Boston people have mentioned cultural connections and that is true with many Atlantic Canadian families having worked in or having members of their families in New England. But I think the real reason is the out-pouring of aid Halifax received after the Halifax Explosion on Dec 6, 1917. It was the Boston Red Cross and the Massachusetts Public Safety Committee that immediately came to the aid of this shattered city before anyone did and not only provided doctors, nurses, food, etc but actually helped to rebuild the city. We still send a 40 foot tall Christmas tree each year to Boston. I have participated in that tree lighting ceremony before and Nova Scotia spends 400K on the spectacle every year (both mayor's, govt officials, concert featuring NS artists, etc). Its a GREAT show in the common every year. Atlantic Canadians' historic relationship with New England, or the "Boston States, arguably goes back to the 18th century when first the New England Planters then the United Empire Loyalists established the first major British settlements in the region, but intensified in the late 19th century when post-Confederation economic malaise in Atlantic Canada combined with a huge demand for labour in industrial New England to create a massive shift southwards.

Boston–Halifax relations - Wikipedia

Why Nova Scotians Send A Christmas Tree To Boston Every Year

I would say for the Bruins it was also cup success in the '70's, Bobby Orr, Glen Murray, Don Sweeney and now Brad.

I know that northern New Brunswick is highly French-speaking; in fact, there's even a town in Maine on the Northern New Brunswick border (Madawaska) where more than 80% of families speak French at home. Does that part of New Brunswick have different sporting allegiances as a general rule as compared to southern New Brunswick?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You're not wrong. In my opinion, the term shouldn't be used, except in very limited contexts.

Here's an article about it:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/newfoundland-1.4115872

What is the negative connotation attached to "Newfie" that makes it derogatory?? I must be missing a piece of history here... Isn't it like calling a Canadian a Canuck? Why should I get offended by the term "Canuck" being Canadian? Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
In addition to the O6, the Habs and Leafs have each had their top farm teams in the maritimes quite a bit. The Leafs have had close to 20 year of AHL teams in the Maritimes and the Habs close to 25, while the Sens haven't had any.

Charlottetown was the Sens AHL team in the 90's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad