Why has lars eller regressed so hard.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
But now Eller needs a contract this summer and it's gonna be complicated for terms and money. In his bridge contract, Eller went from being bench, invisible to the best center on the ice.

30 pts in 46 games in 12-13
17 pts in 30 games to start this season
3 points in 43 games, huge slumps in the middle
16 points in 20 games in the last part of the season (including the playoff)
Finish first for many things as a forward (hits, blocked shot, Faceoffs)

Hard to tell what he'll get...

Ok am I crazy or do you think MT is being told by Bergevin to keep the production down for players like Eller, Galchenyuk and Subban for negotiation purposes?

We all know Subban has been our best defenceman for a long time but the only time he was really used like a superstar was in the playoffs and Therrien didn't have a choice. Eller was doing just fine until Therrien messed him up. Therrien has barely tried Galchenyuk at centre and doesn't even give him enough ice time. Yes I know I'm a major conspiracy theorist but he keeps doing this!

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Ok am I crazy or do you think MT is being told by Bergevin to keep the production down for players like Eller, Galchenyuk and Subban for negotiation purposes?

We all know Subban has been our best defenceman for a long time but the only time he was really used like a superstar was in the playoffs and Therrien didn't have a choice. Eller was doing just fine until Therrien messed him up. Therrien has barely tried Galchenyuk at centre and doesn't even give him enough ice time. Yes I know I'm a major conspiracy theorist but he keeps doing this!

Yes, you are crazy.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
How much will Eller get? 2.5?

Calculating arm-chair GMs on CapGeek I've been using $3 and $8.75 for Subban.
I think Eller will get around 1 million time more: 2.75-3.25M.

Eller is still RFA, so if he wants security we could sign him at 3.5-4 for 5 years.
But he could as well get 2.5M for a year.

DD vs Eller: size, scoring, slumps, PO, clutch, etc.

Interesting. Can he get 45-50 points without PP over a full season?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
There is no reason why this guy isn't a gabriel landeskog for us. His hockey IQ rivals that of a local park mallard and it seems hes just a "floater" on the ice. Does he need more talented linemates ? Honestly i really feel montreal is not a good fit for him.

Well first thing is Lars is Danish and Landeskog is a Swede. Landeskog was the 2nd pick OV in 2011, behind Nugent-Hopkins and ahead of Johnathan Huberdeau. He is already the Capt.for Colorado, a team with many great young players.

Lars was the 13th OV pick in 2007, picked 8 positions higher than expected, many players picked ahead of him and he's not a Capt. So far no immediate reasons to compare these players,IMHO.

Landeskog plays LW, Lars is a natural center. Landeskog came to NA to play his draft year, Lars came to NA two yrs. after being drafted. No similarities yet.

Landeskog is arguably the best player from the 2011 draft, Eller is top ten from his draft year. So this is where the similarities begin they are both top ten players from their draft yrs.

Their style of game resembles a NA player more so than European, both keep themselves in top shape and play a 200ft game, and they are both very hard to play against. Landeskog has played 1st line mins & 1st PP his whole career with the best linemates. Lars has slowly learned the game the same way all Hab players do, working on the 3rd line with poor linemates, changing on a regular basis.

The real plus for Hab fans is that Lars will make the leap up into the Habs top six and have regular linemates with the same complete game, next season. Eller will have a breakout season alongside Galchenyuk, at least that's my optimistic hope.

Lars Eller was a steal when the Habs traded Halak to St.Louis for him and that trades value, will only really be shown in the next couple of seasons, IMHO.:handclap:

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Well first thing is Lars is Danish and Landeskog is a Swede. Landeskog was the 2nd pick OV in 2011, behind Nugent-Hopkins and ahead of Johnathan Huberdeau. He is already the Capt.for Colorado, a team with many great young players.

Lars was the 13th OV pick in 2007, picked 8 positions higher than expected, many players picked ahead of him and he's not a Capt. So far no immediate reasons to compare these players,IMHO.

Landeskog plays LW, Lars is a natural center. Landeskog came to NA to play his draft year, Lars came to NA two yrs. after being drafted. No similarities yet.

Landeskog is arguably the best player from the 2011 draft, Eller is top ten from his draft year. So this is where the similarities begin they are both top ten players from their draft yrs.

Their style of game resembles a NA player more so than European, both keep themselves in top shape and play a 200ft game, and they are both very hard to play against. Landeskog has played 1st line mins & 1st PP his whole career with the best linemates. Lars has slowly learned the game the same way all Hab players do, working on the 3rd line with poor linemates, changing on a regular basis.

The real plus for Hab fans is that Lars will make the leap up into the Habs top six and have regular linemates with the same complete game, next season. Eller will have a breakout season alongside Galchenyuk, at least that's my optimistic hope.

Lars Eller was a steal when the Habs traded Halak to St.Louis for him and that trades value, will only really be shown in the next couple of seasons, IMHO.:handclap:

Dont mention landeskog and eller in the same sentence.there is absolutely no comparison.gabe is a pure stud and lars is , well, a solid 3 rd liner with supposed potential.he needs to take a massive step this season.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I think Eller will get around 1 million time more: 2.75-3.25M.

Eller is still RFA, so if he wants security we could sign him at 3.5-4 for 5 years.
But he could as well get 2.5M for a year.

DD vs Eller: size, scoring, slumps, PO, clutch, etc.

He could reach 40 if he has a skilled hard working winger. In the season, Bourque is likely to be on and off, so that's where he needs a consistant winger to rely on every night. He better hope one of Ghetto/Bournival/Sekac is ready for third line duty.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Dont mention landeskog and eller in the same sentence.there is absolutely no comparison.gabe is a pure stud and lars is , well, a solid 3 rd liner with supposed potential.he needs to take a massive step this season.

Yeah it really didn't make much sense to me either, I thought he was being sarcastic/facetious, who knows?:laugh:

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada

Eller will "take a step up" if our coach puts him in a position to succeed. That means giving Eller more opportunities to develop his offensive game + linemates that can produce offense more consistently. Some of the 1st wave powerplay time that is always reserved for Desharnais has to be shared with Plekanec and especially Eller if you except him to be better than last season.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
This year Eller will have enough ice time to become the player we all know he can be. No doubt. Keep the kid, he will be solid for years to come.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg

LOL i've thought about this before... seems too crazy and psycho conspiracy theorist to be true :laugh:

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Lol that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If guys like Eller actually lived up to their potential we would just trade players to accomodate his salary demands.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
LOL i've thought about this before... seems too crazy and psycho conspiracy theorist to be true :laugh:

Meh, this is probably why MB felt the need to get rid of some vets.

MT went to them too often and most of the kids weren't given the opportunities we all wanted them to have.

Maybe also why MT got the extension. Give him some confidence and take away some blunt tools he likes a bit too much.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Serious?

Ineverplayedthegame

Sep 25, 2013
He'll look much better without a 968 PDO. Dude was hilariously unlucky this year.

Though I doubt he gets the PP time to boost his numbers. If he couldn't get PP time during the playoffs, he probably never will. Wich kinda sucks because he has had, though in a small sample, a very good effect on the team's PP shot generation.

You (and a lot of other people) need to go have a look at the list of players with 45+ ES points. They were 30 of them this year. Pretty much all of them were stars or players that played with stars.

The Habs, in the last ten years, have had three 45+ ES point season. Pacioretty(52) and Cole(47) in 2011-2012 and Plekanec(45) in 2009-2010.

Even if you lower it to 40, you only add Pacioretty(42) 2013-2014, Desharnais(40) in 2011-2012, Gomez(40)(!!!) in 2009-2010, Plekanec(41) 2007-2008, Riberio(41), Koivu(40) and Ryder(40) 2003-2004. That's it.

To put that into context, Plekanec who has been considered anything between a good second line C to average-to-slightly-above-average first line C for most of his career, has put up more than 40 ES points exactly twice.

Those are pretty high expectations.

Already mentionned that in another thread but I would love to see him with Gallagher again. Not even the EGG line (Galchenyuk goes to Plek). Gallagher is a great with Pacioretty and Desharnais ( well he's great everywhere) but his shot rate goes down with them. I looked at his shot rate during the last two years rate per potential C (DD,Plek,Eller,Galch) I noticed that his shot rate went way high with Eller(worth about 5 ES goals). Might be the small sample but that tcould be worth trying, especially since we lost a fair amount of goals this off season. The new defence should help with that too.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He'll look much better without a 968 PDO. Dude was hilariously unlucky this year.

Though I doubt he gets the PP time to boost his numbers. If he couldn't get PP time during the playoffs, he probably never will. Wich kinda sucks because he has had, though in a small sample, a very good effect on the team's PP shot generation.

You (and a lot of other people) need to go have a look at the list of players with 45+ ES points. They were 30 of them this year. Pretty much all of them were stars or players that played with stars.

The Habs, in the last ten years, have had three 45+ ES point season. Pacioretty(52) and Cole(47) in 2011-2012 and Plekanec(45) in 2009-2010.

Even if you lower it to 40, you only add Pacioretty(42) 2013-2014, Desharnais(40) in 2011-2012, Gomez(40)(!!!) in 2009-2010, Plekanec(41) 2007-2008, Riberio(41), Koivu(40) and Ryder(40) 2003-2004. That's it.

To put that into context, Plekanec who has been considered anything between a good second line C to average-to-slightly-above-average first line C for most of his career, has put up more than 40 ES points exactly twice.

Quoted for truth.

The level of production people expect from Eller in order to consider him a top-6 player is absurd. If he could consistently put up 45-50 pts in a defensive role, with no PP time he would be one of the top players in the NHL period. Expecting him to have Kopitar (47 ES points) level production is simply insane.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Since the Therrien/Bergevin era began this is the even strength production of our centers.

Desharnais: 64pts in 149 games
Plekanec: 56pts in 150 games
Eller: 57pts in 141 games

Eller has outproduced Plekanec and is 7pts behind Desharnais. Does anyone seriously doubt that playing with Pacioretty wouldn't more than cover those 7pts, let alone the zone starts that DD gets.

This whole Eller doesn't have the offensive potential, or he's too inconsistent is complete BS. Eller deserves a real shot in the top-6.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Since the Therrien/Bergevin era began this is the even strength production of our centers.

Eller has outproduced Plekanec and is 7pts behind Desharnais. Does anyone seriously doubt that playing with Pacioretty wouldn't more than cover those 7pts, let alone the zone starts that DD gets.

This whole Eller doesn't have the offensive potential, or he's too inconsistent is complete BS. Eller deserves a real shot in the top-6.

Amen. Now is his time.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007

I don't think you took into consideration how many of those points Eller got playing wing for another center...did you?

By the way, I love Eller, so much that I think he will replace Pleks. The way I see it if the Habs want to have a somewhat dominant center line in the next 3 years our centers should be: Chucky, Eller, De la Rose +whoever (maybe Gregoire). The smurf time will be officially over at that point.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Well, as long as the team is winning, that would be great short terms management
But i just think Therrien got his favorite....Briere comments about Therrien having a group of players Therrien didn't really like.

Even if he didn't get the 7 points, his forecheking, puck-possession skills, speed and size cover this small difference.

Already mentionned that in another thread but I would love to see him with Gallagher again. Not even the EGG line (Galchenyuk goes to Plek). Gallagher is a great with Pacioretty and Desharnais ( well he's great everywhere) but his shot rate goes down with them. I looked at his shot rate during the last two years rate per potential C (DD,Plek,Eller,Galch) I noticed that his shot rate went way high with Eller(worth about 5 ES goals). Might be the small sample but that tcould be worth trying, especially since we lost a fair amount of goals this off season. The new defence should help with that too.

Great post.

Funny thing....in 2012-2013....Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher were all on paste for 42+

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think you took into consideration how many of those points Eller got playing wing for another center...did you?

By the way, I love Eller, so much that I think he will replace Pleks. The way I see it if the Habs want to have a somewhat dominant center line in the next 3 years our centers should be: Chucky, Eller, De la Rose +whoever (maybe Gregoire). The smurf time will be officially over at that point.

Does it really matter how many points he got as a winger? He played what 5-6 games as a winger, it's meaningless especially since he's much much better as a center.

We have to give Eller his shot now because if we keep him in a 3rd line role he won't be with the team in 3 years. From day one he's said his goal is too be a 2-way top-6 center. He wants to be on the ice in the last minute of play when his team is up or down a goal. If we won't give him that chance then he's going to head to UFA and find a team that will give him that chance.

Even if he didn't get the 7 points, his forecheking, puck-possession skills, speed and size cover this small difference.

I was looking purely at offence to counter the Eller is just a 3rd liner nonsense that you see so much. When we take into consideration the overall ability it's a no brainer that Eller deserves more.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Eller played a handful of games as a winger so it's not like he produced a ton of points there. Furthermore, if he did well as winger, which he didn't, he would have been kept on the wing. So I suspect his production was probably non-existent on the wing.

The demands for Eller have been completely unrealistic and unacceptable. The guy was our leading scorer in the POs yet he played 8 min on the PP during the whole POs. Let's not forget that we are not talking about a PP that was doing well. We had a struggling PP and kept our best scorer off it. Does this make any sense to you?

We need to give him a top 6 role, but the frustrating thing is that I really don't see us doing it because we had ample opportunities to do so but didn't. It's a damn shame.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Anybody going to change the thread title anytime soon?

Its just not true. In fact, I think the habs and eller have finally found a fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad