Why has lars eller regressed so hard.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I could be wrong because I missed the last few games of the season, but it seems Eller started playing better when Gionta was placed on his wing.

I am happy to see him playing a PPG in the playoffs. He is thriving. Using his size, speed, making some good decisions.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Given his years as a pro, I believe Eller will be a UFA after next season unless of course he is signed to a longer deal.

Many blame Eller for his mostly lousy regular season, while others, like myself, think MT played at least a role in Ellers bad year by not putting him in a position where he could succeed, like the line mates he had.

Eller is making just over $1.2M this year. You could sign him to a one year ....show me ...contract for probably $1,5M-$1.75M and then try signing him to a long term deal in line with what he is showing. The risk of course is he walks. Or, you could up the amounts to get term, because I am going to guess Eller sees himself as a better player than what he did last year. Maybe he takes 2 years at $2.25M-$2.5M per or into the $3M range for 3 -4 years.

I would not want to risk losing him after next year and for sure would offer the 2 year deal and probably go for the longer term deal. What would you sign him for ?

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I could be wrong because I missed the last few games of the season, but it seems Eller started playing better when Gionta was placed on his wing.

I am happy to see him playing a PPG in the playoffs. He is thriving. Using his size, speed, making some good decisions.

Well it's not exactly surprising that giving Eller some offensively capable wingers would make him shine. He played brilliantly with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Playing with Moen, Prust or inconsistent Bourque wasn't going to help him get out of his slump.

Gionta is still ~ 20 goal scorer, so Eller actually has somebody to pass the puck to.

I'm really curious how Eller would play with Vanek and Pacioretty. Instead of DD, Vanek would handle playmaking and setting up duties, while Eller would battle along the boards and retrieve pucks and of course Pacioretty would be the trigger man. Eller would basically take Gallagher's role when Gallagher was playing with Patches and DD, while Vanek would replace DD.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
yes but I think he can still be a 2nd line center given the right line mates.

That being said I like the idea of him and Pleks doing the 2a/2b duties which can reverse when ever need be.

I've always considered Plecky as our number 1 despite the ever revolving door of rotating wingers.
This still holds true as evinced by his current playoff role, Ice time, matchups etc.
With the adjustments MT has made does this elevate Eller to a 2?
His line seems to be next in the queue with regards to matchups. Not sure about the TOI.
This currently leaves the MP DD duo/Gallagher as a 3 with fewer defensive responsibilities.
I will be intrigued to see how long this continues. I absolutely think this is our best option against Boston
at least at home and perhaps beyond. So maybe he is 2 currently in number if not name?
Would the sheltering of DD's line force CJ to use Bergeron against either Plecky or Eller in Boston?
They obviously have to get him on the ice. It is amazing how switching 1 player can completely change the dynamics of a lineup/team.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
yes but I think he can still be a 2nd line center given the right line mates.

That being said I like the idea of him and Pleks doing the 2a/2b duties which can reverse when ever need be.

Yes, absolutely. I also think he has the ability to play at above a third line level. When Lars is fully dialed in he is a monster. He just hasn't shown the consistency yet. He's improving in that regard though and is looking like the type of guy we need to continue making the playoffs and having deep runs.

That said the coaching he's received hasn't really blown me away. I think Eller got the shaft with linemates for pretty much the rest of the year after the EGG line cooled off.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yes, absolutely. I also think he has the ability to play at above a third line level. When Lars is fully dialed in he is a monster. He just hasn't shown the consistency yet. He's improving in that regard though and is looking like the type of guy we need to continue making the playoffs and having deep runs.

That said the coaching he's received hasn't really blown me away. I think Eller got the shaft with linemates for pretty much the rest of the year after the EGG line cooled off.

No he didn't. They took Gallagher off his line, not Galchenyuk. It wasn't until he was clearly slumping that they moved Galchenyuk to play with Plekanec.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
No he didn't. They took Gallagher off his line, not Galchenyuk. It wasn't until he was clearly slumping that they moved Galchenyuk to play with Plekanec.

Let's be honest here.

At this point in their respective careers Gallagher is much more of an impact player than Galchenyuk.

Gallagher and Eller work well together.

Galchenyuk is going to be really good but I view him as a work in progress and Gallagher as more of a finished product.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Let's be honest here.

At this point in their respective careers Gallagher is much more of an impact player than Galchenyuk.

Gallagher and Eller work well together.

Galchenyuk is going to be really good but I view him as a work in progress and Gallagher as more of a finished product.

Gallagher's definitely closer to his potential than AG but I still think Gallagher gets better. Wouldn't be surprisd if he ends up being consistently close to 30 goals per year.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Gallagher's definitely closer to his potential than AG but I still think Gallagher gets better. Wouldn't be surprisd if he ends up being consistently close to 30 goals per year.

Gallagher will get better.his work ethic on and especially off the ice is insane.like price and subban he will never ever settle for less than being a champion.as for eller , he s a solid 3 rd liner.jus lacks vision , strenghth and speed.at least he will be cheap to sign long term.if we decide to go that route.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Gallagher will get better.his work ethic on and especially off the ice is insane.like price and subban he will never ever settle for less than being a champion.as for eller , he s a solid 3 rd liner.jus lacks vision , strenghth and speed.at least he will be cheap to sign long term.if we decide to go that route.

You know he won the fastest skater on the habs....

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
You know he won the fastest skater on the habs....

Wow.impressive.he won a practice race.too bad he cant convert that speed into actual game situations. In real games Gallagher blows him away and doesnt give up the puck at the opposition s blue line.repeatedly. he needs alot of work in all areas of the game.or I guess we could just keep making excuses for him .

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Wow.impressive.he won a practice race.too bad he cant convert that speed into actual game situations. In real games Gallagher blows him away and doesnt give up the puck at the opposition s blue line.repeatedly. he needs alot of work in all areas of the game.or I guess we could just keep making excuses for him .

I guess that's why he's been the best forwards by far in the last playoffs run.....is that an excuses for him? Toughest games are in the PO.

I guess this can tell us a lot about others players as well..

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Eller is twice the skater Gallagher is... He's also more skilled with the puck on his stick.

The big seperation character, tenacity, and consistency.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Eller is twice the skater Gallagher is... He's also more skilled with the puck on his stick.

The big seperation character, tenacity, and consistency.

Twice the skater as Gallagher? Lol.ok.he is what he is guys.a 3 rd line center.that is a fact.no? Until he proves more he doesnt deserve top 6 duty.and please dont use the excuses.theres one thing lars is excellent at.being inconsistent.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
But now Eller needs a contract this summer and it's gonna be complicated for terms and money. In his bridge contract, Eller went from being bench, invisible to the best center on the ice.

30 pts in 46 games in 12-13
17 pts in 30 games to start this season
3 points in 43 games, huge slumps in the middle
16 points in 20 games in the last part of the season (including the playoff)
Finish first for many things as a forward (hits, blocked shot, Faceoffs)

Hard to tell what he'll get...

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
You meant hockey sense right ?

I don't think Eller's main problem is lack of Hockey IQ...I think is a question of confidence.

I like Eller a lot, as a player and as a person too always very honest and open pressers. I like his attributes: he is a fast skater, hits, blocks shots and kill penalties, is strong on the face-offs and I think he has offensive upside that we have not yet seen (during the regular season). I think he was rushed and would have been great for him to play one year in Hamilton....but..that's another story

As Bergevin always say "players make decisions for us". If Eller continues on the path of the last playoffs, he will be the one pushing Plekanec out of the team.

anonymous9739872329

May 3, 2006
Around MTL
Four monthes and all of the HFHabs taskforce on the question and we still didn't find a plausible answer? We need to reaccess our human capital talent pool here if we can't solve such a question with the given time and resources allocated. No GM/coach bashing until then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad