Why Don't I Like Jack Hughes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Opener! We are extremely similar in this! I felt your post 100%. I also hate Jack Hughes' personality: everything he does is so f'ing tilting. The way he turned his back to Kakko and talked to that #3 draft when those three were in the same room showed what kind of person he is. It's insane how opposite he is from Kakko - who is the most kind and precious human being i have ever seen. It literally makes my cry when I start to think Kakko's personality.

Lundqvist is a bit tilting also, maybe because he has zero character. But he has a soul I think.

There is two players in the NHL who has no soul: Nikita Kucherov and Leon Draisaitl. These two humans are terryfying.
I am PRAYING that this is sarcasm hahahahahaha

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Opener! We are extremely similar in this! I felt your post 100%. I also hate Jack Hughes' personality: everything he does is so f'ing tilting. The way he turned his back to Kakko and talked to that #3 draft when those three were in the same room showed what kind of person he is. It's insane how opposite he is from Kakko - who is the most kind and precious human being i have ever seen. It literally makes my cry when I start to think Kakko's personality.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
your lot literally spent half a decade defending sean avery :laugh:

Absolutely correct. Some if the stuff he pulled was indefensible. And yet he rarely crossed the line with physical cheap shots. He was never as "dangerous" as a Claude Lemieux.

I had a difficult time when Ranger players are dirty. Flurry, Tie Domi, a young Kovalev...but NY has had tough guys that weren't running opposition from behind.

Langdon, Orr, Nolan, Kocur, King, Barnaby...pretty respectful group-

Point is I will not defend a player if he does wrong.

Back on point, I don't have a warm, unbridled love for Lundqvist or Leetch. (I live in Connecticut- where Leetch us from,went to BC, sat near his parents at MSG...just a very reserved guy. Leaves you wanting more..)

Adam Graves gives fans that connection. You love the guy. Daneyko is the same. There is a reason those two have their numbers in the rafters. It was beyond their play on the ice.

There is something "off" about Hughes. He comes across as if everything is staged...fake.

I have no clue what Kakko is like. This is not a Rangers- Devil's thing.

Nevertheless, his teammates on the US Development Club seem to love him. That tells me he is a really good guy. It just doesn't translate when he is being interviewed.

He just comes across as fake.says all the right things but in a manner that makes it obvious that he is going by the script.

I just don't like him. Sorry

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
He just comes across as fake.says all the right things but in a manner that makes it obvious that he is going by the script.

You're right, should have known he was just going by a script when he said he was thrilled to be a Devil and judging by his interactions with fans during development camp. No one could possibly be excited to play for the New Jersey Devils. Thanks for clearing that up.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Anyway, for the relevant topic at hand, I feel like Hughes has a very restrained personality, though you can see glimpses of it in how he talks and acts. Doesn’t strike me as smug at all.

Kakko comes off as brash, but hell, let him be. Makes the rivalry more fun.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
I feel like that about McDavid. There is something snotty arrogant about him, that lack of smile, his body language, just his overall demeanor.. etc.
Hughes may show overconfidence but not in an arrogant way. He is very humble and soft spoken in his interviews but also a competitor. Crosby is the same way.
McDavid on the other hand is cocky with ice cold arrogance.
I will never forget his facial expression after Hall won the Hart.

I feel McDavid is a guy who doesn't care for the attention, at all. Seems like a dude who'd just want to train and play, focus 100% on hockey.

5d881994.jpg

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016

Lundqvist is a bit tilting also, maybe because he has zero character. But he has a soul I think.

There is two players in the NHL who has no soul: Nikita Kucherov and Leon Draisaitl. These two humans are terryfying.

giphy.gif

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I feel McDavid is a guy who doesn't care for the attention, at all. Seems like a dude who'd just want to train and play, focus 100% on hockey.

He just seems awkward and unsure on top of probably wanting a bigger personal space. Like awkward Keanu Reaves.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I preface this with saying I am a Rangers fan.

However, I have always been able to separate a player from when they are on the ice and off. The Devils are a team I do not like...hate may be more appropriate. But how could you not love a player like Patrick Elias or Ken Daneyko.

When Mike Peluso started crying on the bench as the Devils were about to win the Cup, I got emotional. I should have felt rage, but I actually shed a tear.

I have never warmed up to Lundqvist. I dislike Messier to the extreme. I found Richter to be quite annoying away from the rink- a know-it-all. It was guys like Adam Graves and Mats Zuch that I loved.

Am I alone in thinking Jack Hughes has a grating way about him...a smugness. Yes, you need self confidence to be great, but what is it that Jack is doing that sours me?

Crosby had me feeling the same way as I do for Hughes, but he matured and is now a guy I like a lot. Just curious if there are others who feel the same.
Lol, big long qualifier/disclaimer just so you can make a thread saying you don't like Hughes because he's on the Devils. You're not fooling anyone.

Reactions: koalabear9301

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009

View attachment 248547
If I didn't know who Connor McDavid was, saw the left photograph uncaptioned and had to guess the backstory, it would be:

Feral teenager is rescued from the jungle, cleaned, given a haircut, and adopted by a middle-aged American couple. Still adjusting to wearing clothes.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
A lot of people are poo pooing on the OP, but as a Devils fan I get what he’s saying. Hughes definitely has some cockiness, smugness, and arrogance in the way he carries himself...but at the same time he’s respectful, says all the right things, and seems genuine when he speaks. It’s a weird mix, but it works for him.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This is a good point. I know I definitely refer to the Devils' Conn Smythe winner in 1995 as "Claude" on a regular basis.

Also helps that I'm a big fan of the Grand Theft Auto series.

I'll only ever refer to Brodeur as Marty. I'd guess that is the case for most Devils fans, and no one ever found that odd.

May I add, this thread is terrific. Lots of laughs.

Reactions: New Jersey

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Okay well how about franchise goaltender then?

If he would focus solely on that, then everyone would love him?

But getting a lot of press for loving fashion / going to photoshoots etc surely will bring some haters out.

It's like Subban, but a light-version. People hate on Subban because he really, really seems to care 100x more about his clothes & getting attention in the media than he does about training & playing.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Lol, big long qualifier/disclaimer just so you can make a thread saying you don't like Hughes because he's on the Devils. You're not fooling anyone.

I am a nothing. Hughes is a young multi-millionare, superstar, professional athlete. I get that.

I don't like the Devils- but am mature enough to look at players beyond the jersey they wear.

My first girlfriend's family had Devil's season tix in the late 80's/early 90's. I was forced to like them to an extent. (I even had to help her judge who was the "hottest" guy on the Club. Good God what I did for that girl...)

Muller, Albelin, Shanahan, Dougie Brown..lot's of guys to like/respect..

So, no. There is just something that bothers me. Have never felt this with Hischier. Love the kid.

Something is off and I want to know if anyone else feels the same.

I am being 100% honest in my question in regards to how Hughes comes across. Probably is just maturity. Guys like Crosby and Kane have changed remarkably as they got older. Hughes is no doubt a good kid. Just asking what is it that bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad