Why Don't I Like Jack Hughes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Really talking beyond the jersey. I really like a lot of Devil players.

I love Subban. Going to be fun to have him in the metro area. Unique personality made for 2019.

Something puts me off Hughes. Just curious if I a am alone.

(And yes I love Lundqvist- he has soul. However, there is something awkward about him that leaves you wanting more. He does a lot of charity work that you never hear of. There is a distance about him.)
The distance about him is called being European

Seriously though haha, different cultures have different ways of going about things. Countries like Sweden and Germany sometimes seem (or are) very standoff-ish when in reality they just arent used to saying hi to everyone walking by like maybe Americans and hispanic countries are

Reactions: artemponomarev

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I guess he kinda has a frat boy attitude about him, but he's always seemed pretty respectful. I think the media training these kids receive turn them into a bit of a robot in front of the camera, some are better than others, but he does have a bit of a 'fakeness' about him I guess?

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
He's a kid. If there are any concerns about Jack Hughes, I think the main thing is his health and the risk of injury. Guy was getting tossed around during the WJC and IIHF.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kid looks about 12.

Also, seems relatively humble considering he just went #1 overall and has a very good chance of being a sports superstar/many times over millionaire. Despite being in an Uber jock position, he sounds pretty down to Earth to me. Yes, he sounds like a bit of a frat boy/jock, but....he is a jock...so.

Compared to a lot of #1 overall picks in other sports, I really don't see what makes him "smug" or over-confident.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I guess he kinda has a frat boy attitude about him, but he's always seemed pretty respectful. I think the media training these kids receive turn them into a bit of a robot in front of the camera, some are better than others, but he does have a bit of a 'fakeness' about him I guess?
I dont think being honest and open in a sport where its needed should come off as ‘fake’

In fact id say he comes across as just the opposite. For example, he openly admitted he would be upset if not 1st overall. Most guys would give the usual ‘its not when I go that matters, its where’ and so on

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I mean, the kid's definitely got swag.

I'll take a kid with confidence over a timid one, imo. Both can be successful but the latter might have a hard time being a leader in a lockerroom.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
How on earth could a Rangers fan not like Lundqvist

Well, he is superficial and likes his attention & spotlight?

Quite a few people don't rank fashion designer as the most important job in the world.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I feel like that about McDavid. There is something snotty arrogant about him, that lack of smile, his body language, just his overall demeanor.. etc.
Hughes may show overconfidence but not in an arrogant way. He is very humble and soft spoken in his interviews but also a competitor. Crosby is the same way.
McDavid on the other hand is cocky with ice cold arrogance.
I will never forget his facial expression after Hall won the Hart.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
A Ranger fan who doesnt like Lundqvist. You must not like playoff hockey, because most of those teams dont make the playoffs without a prime Lundqvist, let alone a Stanley Cup Final.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The NHL needs more personality generally. Anyone who can pull off a bigger personality without having to reduce themselves to Avery or E. Kane type shenanigans should be applauded.

Reactions: New Jersey

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Nah. Hughes works, nicknames are cool too.

Using first names for athletes you don't know personally is weird

Lest we confuse Jack with Brent Hughes.

For us old-timers, there's been quite a few Hughes' in the NHL.

I actually liked Brent, he was feisty. Fought anybody. Was a terrible fighter though.

Even saying just "Lemieux" is weird when there were three of them in the league at the same time. Each taking turns making news, for different reasons. Jocelyn mostly for playing in Chicago and me being a Hawks fan, but still. He was a feisty, gritty player too.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Even saying just "Lemieux" is weird when there were three of them in the league at the same time. Each taking turns making news, for different reasons. Jocelyn mostly for playing in Chicago and me being a Hawks fan, but still. He was a feisty, gritty player too.

This is a good point. I know I definitely refer to the Devils' Conn Smythe winner in 1995 as "Claude" on a regular basis.

Also helps that I'm a big fan of the Grand Theft Auto series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad