Why don't goalies wear the hasek-style mask anymore?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I swear I remember somewhere toward the end of Osgood's career the Wings had Mickey Redmond put out a live WTB ad during a game looking to buy SK2000's and parts.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
EcpgTR0WoAoHs8h.jpg

Wow I never realized how big the holes are for the eyes on modern helmets. When we played pond hockey when we were like 11-15 we played with small pucks, those would have gone straight through I think. We mostly played without goalies but sometimes one would have some old goalie gear.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Even weirder is that photo is from the 2010’s and the bucket has the old CCM logo from 90s-early 2000’s on it.
I'd imagine they just had an old sticker lying around, although it'd be funny if CCM provided their sponsoree with an outdated logo.

I thinks it’s an older Jofa though. Reebok bought CCM and Jofa years ago before selling CCM again. Probably couldn’t use the Jofa name on it.
I think the helmet in the above photos is really just the Warwick with stickers or logos painted on it. Not sure if Warwick ever paid the equipment licensing fees for NHL (or Swiss NLA if they have such rules). For example, Jonathan Quick uses their masks but never has Warwick's logos on them.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I've wondered the same myself.

I've read those old masks are safer but can impact performance. Vision/Weight etc?

It's a bit hypocritic by the goalies imo.

The pads got bigger to protect their limbs and chest.
The helmets got smaller/lighter making them less protective against the puck/concussions.

Old Glenn Healy article but perhaps still relevant

Perhaps things are different and the mask are just as safe. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if it wasn't though.

The competitive advantage at that level of sports is just worth more than the debatable safety aspects I think.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I think it also has to do with puck impact. the newer tapered goalie helmets allows the puck to deflect/glance better, than the old ones, which would take a more direct impact from a shot.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I love the look of the old cages...my two favorite goalies growing up wore them, at least for a while (Wregget eventually switched).
ken_wregget_5.jpg

Arturs-Irbe3.jpg

That said, I hated playing with those things and immediately switched to the modern mask. Hell, a lot of baseball catchers have done the same, though in this case the old style is actually safer.
wedgie_foul_ball_sticks_in_mask_of_mariners_catcher_josh_bard.jpg

Some still do, I think it's mostly a comfort thing. If a goalie has a close call they're more likely to use it...Fleury has had multiple neck guards break on him, so he's not about to risk what would happen if they weren't there.
120514-NHL-Marc-Andre-Fleury-of-the-Pittsburgh-Penguins-PI.vadapt.620.high.0.jpg
I used to unbuckle my cage because of Kenny Wregget. I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed back then.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Wow I never realized how big the holes are for the eyes on modern helmets. When we played pond hockey when we were like 11-15 we played with small pucks, those would have gone straight through I think. We mostly played without goalies but sometimes one would have some old goalie gear.

They're not really any bigger than the "cat's eye" cages on older combo masks. It has been an issue for a long time, that's why they're not certified for use by Hockey Canada and haven't been for years. For example, Mario Lessard's mask from 1982:

Lessard+mask-2.jpg

The only goalie I remember at the NHL level who wore a combo mask and didn't use a cat's eye cage was John Vanbiesbrouck.

Photo+Dec+26%2C+6+42+00+AM.jpg

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I think Cloutier was the last Goalie to wear the cooper style. He looked badass in it. He started to wear the current style of mask in LA but it didnt suit him.

Top 3 Goaltender in canucks history dont care what anyone says. #2 on my list.
I must be reading this wrong.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They're not really any bigger than the "cat's eye" cages on older combo masks. It has been an issue for a long time, that's why they're not certified for use by Hockey Canada and haven't been for years. For example, Mario Lessard's mask from 1982:

Lessard+mask-2.jpg

Lol that's definitely not a replica..the puck would go right through those eyes.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Since the discussion has moved to include the cage parts, I feel like putting this Swiss oddity here.

wyWbMMbMFcX8hEFCkLU1LEuOJ6hBGrTUyONdIX9N00QYHUbluZUSCQrCFmQCHn2Uakibs0ExZE_UfMRVPCNJgNuFj4-mE8fo

I remember watching some Rapperswil games and being both amazed and slightly creeped out.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Hasek used to use his head fairly routinely to make saves.

When goalies are hit in the head with the modern mask, thy tend to be stunned a bit and the game has to be stopped. Dom continued on like nothing happened

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Hasek used to use his head fairly routinely to make saves.

When goalies are hit in the head with the modern mask, thy tend to be stunned a bit and the game ahs to be stopped. Dom continued on like nothing happened

You also have to take into account that hasek is a basket case and freak of nature

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think goalies and those that design them have a bigger question to answer:

why are your designs so bad?

no current goalie can hold a candle to the masks of the 70's, 80's, and a bit of the early 90's.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden

Lessard+mask-2.jpg

The only goalie I remember at the NHL level who wore a combo mask and didn't use a cat's eye cage was John Vanbiesbrouck.

Photo+Dec+26%2C+6+42+00+AM.jpg
That's interesting I had no idea. My idea of old masks is probably based of of a handful of masks I saw growing up in the 90's and early 2000's in Sweden. Found an article that claimed the reason for the cat-eyes being non-certified was that sticks could get through, along with an informative picture. I wonder if small pucks getting through could be an additional reason, but I have no idea how common they even are.

masks_hecc_cages_large.jpg

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I have no idea tbh but I'm eternally grateful. Man those buckets are ugly to look at (sorry Hasek & Tretiak)

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Hasek style masks are unnattractive. It hinders them from finding potential mates
This led to goalies with the Hasek mask mutation not being able to pass on their genes and so the mutation has all but died out out of the gene pool. Sad, but that's just nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad