Why don't goalies wear the hasek-style mask anymore?

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Only Hasek looked good in them

The real question is: where is osgoods mask

Both masks are old models and are fading, I think it just has to do with fit/securing the mask. I remember Osgood did an interview in the twilight of his career where he'd said how difficult it was and that his latest mask he bought from a yard sale.

They didn't look shabby but I always thought they weren't as secure as the traditional bucket.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Cages are simply attached to a regular helmet, and thus were generally poorly designed and angled. Because of that it wasn't as effective for protecting against pucks compared to full-on goalie masks.

Goalie masks are designed to take pucks to the head as shots can come from anywhere, hence the smooth design you see on the store shelves. It's like a jet wing where rather than taking the full force of air/a puck flat, it's supposed to slide around it or ricochet.

The old masks blocked the puck rather than deflect it, which causes more force to a goalie's head.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
hasek_sens_match_4.jpg

vs.

ray-emery-mask.jpg

Which would you feel safer using?

Which would someone look better in?

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
I think Cloutier was the last Goalie to wear the cooper style. He looked badass in it. He started to wear the current style of mask in LA but it didnt suit him.

Top 3 Goaltender in canucks history dont care what anyone says. #2 on my list.

Wow. Never thought I'd see this day. Go back a decade and he was synonym to a sieve here on HFBoards. :laugh:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Compare the cages in those Hasek and Emery pictures:

The newer style has big openings in front of the eyes for better visibility when looking straight forward (or almost straight forward), which should be useful on pretty much every save.

The bottom of the newer style mask fits closer to the face, obstructing peripheral vision (or whatever it's called at the bottom) less than an ill-fitting cage that sticks way off the face.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Compare the cages in those Hasek and Emery pictures:

The newer style has big openings in front of the eyes for better visibility when looking straight forward (or almost straight forward), which should be useful on pretty much every save.

The bottom of the newer style mask fits closer to the face, obstructing peripheral vision (or whatever it's called at the bottom) less than an ill-fitting cage that sticks way off the face.

This! I played goalie in peewee, and when I switched from a cage to a real goalie mask I was surprised over how much better vision it gave me. The grid like facemask Hasek wore is very crude in terms of the vision it provides compared to a goalie mask.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
I think Cloutier was the last Goalie to wear the cooper style. He looked badass in it. He started to wear the current style of mask in LA but it didnt suit him.

Top 3 Goaltender in canucks history dont care what anyone says. #2 on my list.

Kings management made him change his mask style due to safety concerns. After his legendary injuries/struggles in LA, management let him go back to his Cooper mask in a last ditch effort to help him find his game. It didn't work.

http://ingoalmag.com/news/islanders-dipietro-dons-osgoods-old-mask-to-protect-shattered-face/

It’s also the reason the Los Angeles Kings cited when they forced similarly injury prone goaltender Dan Cloutier to abandon the same helmet-and-cage set up in favor of a new-style mask because they were more worried about the risks of cuts and concussions than they were the fact Cloutier was uncomfortable and struggled to track pucks in the more modern mask.

01-dan-cloutier-los-angeles-kings-mask-294nm-030209.jpg

dan_cloutier_2008_03_18.jpg

Reactions: Macbanan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad