Why don't goalies wear the hasek-style mask anymore?

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Marco Bührer, SC Bern's current goalie:

2013_08_23_marco_buhrer_sc_bern-7x.jpg

FreshBlood

Feb 5, 2011
Florence Schelling played with special cage.
Gdt3LKF.jpg

Also Irbe and Thomas played with old school masks.
irbehelmet2.jpg

irbe_traininghelmet.jpg

(Old school/new school mask?):huh:
image.jpg

Reactions: AnimalFear

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Thomas' Panthers mask is the shell of a "current" style goalie mask with the jaw bone part cut off and a players cage attached. That's probably the weirdest mask I've ever seen.

As far as the Osgood/Cloutier/Hasek (which, in later years was a single-piece mold, not the converted Cooper 2000), I don't believe they meet current NHL safety standards, and therefore, are considered illegal equipment.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hasek was even more badass, as he didn't wear that plastic neck protector piece. He had his neck exposed with a thin fabric neck guard covering only part of his neck.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
In my experience, as a former goalie who's used both, is that the Hasek version is more difficult to see out of. I'm sure you could change the cage on it and all that but why bother? While we're on the subject, players should go back to these
WayneGretzky-ThreeSlow.jpg

butch-goring.jpg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It's weird how what some of these guys wear almost becomes part of them. You can't really even picture Hasek or Gretzky wearing anything other than what they wore.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The answer is safety. Masks have evolved - sometimes in ways not detectable by the naked eye. Take the classic Mike Richter mask. Looks very similar to current masks, but in reality it did not provide him with enough protection and contributed to his concussions. His last season, he wore an "even more modern" mask.

The old Hasek/Osgood masks are just not safe enough to be worn in the NHL anymore.

But while we're posting classic pictures, how has nobody mentioned Tommy Soderstrom? :yo:

tumblr_nhwb0zQPmx1spx4u4o1_400.jpg

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
The answer is safety. Masks have evolved - sometimes in ways not detectable by the naked eye. Take the classic Mike Richter mask. Looks very similar to current masks, but in reality it did not provide him with enough protection and contributed to his concussions. His last season, he wore an "even more modern" mask.

The old Hasek/Osgood masks are just not safe enough to be worn in the NHL anymore.

But while we're posting classic pictures, how has nobody mentioned Tommy Soderstrom? :yo:

tumblr_nhwb0zQPmx1spx4u4o1_400.jpg

The new helmets do a better job of distributing the force of puck hit the helmet than those helmets do.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I thought I once read that the newer goalie masks deflected pucks away from the face more often then the older styles where the head took a lot of the force.

EDIT: Should have read the thread first I guess. My answer has already been covered.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Florence Schelling played with special cage.
Gdt3LKF.jpg

Also Irbe and Thomas played with old school masks.
irbehelmet2.jpg

irbe_traininghelmet.jpg

(Old school/new school mask?):huh:
image.jpg

The Tim Thomas mask case is funny. I remember one game his helmet broke so he used Tuukka Rask's, but it was too small for his head or something.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
To be fair no one looks good in Sens colours ;) :sarcasm:
Except Rihanna.

Helmets don't deflect the puck as well. The new masks are much safer in that they better distribute impact and deflect the puck... It's a safety thing. The design concept is now used by, in my estimation, the majority of catchers in baseball. It's not a coincidence.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad