Why don't goalies wear the hasek-style mask anymore?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Rick DiPietro had one of the old school masks a couple of years ago

rickdipietro1.png
This was Chris Osgood's helmet from when he played in Long Island.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Was Hasek's TPS helmet custom made for him? I haven't seen anyone else where that lid, unless people did in Europe I don't know about.

I want to say Tommy Soderstrom had the same cage, but I’m relying of memory.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Those helmets don't protect the head from incoming pucks nearly as well as the modern variation. Goalies like Osgood couldn't get used to the modern styled helmets and stuck with what they were comfortable with. It's the same thing with visors where some guys can't get accustomed to them and continue to go without despite the risk.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I want to say Tommy Soderstrom had the same cage, but I’m relying of memory.
The cage maybe, but that helmet i've never seen anywhere else. looks like those fish with huge craniums, like it was made from a mold of hasek's skull,

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't recall any nhl goalie wearing the hasek style mask, other than hasek himself.

Ah somebody mentioned soderstrom... I think that's true actually.

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
Hasek said the main reason he preffered wearing helmet/cage combo was that he hated something touching his face. He tried a mask few times during practice but hated the feeling of it on his face, not feeling it tight enough on his head, and also different vision. He preffered cage, because it only touches his chin.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Prusek seems to have worn the same model as Marco Bührer in Switzerland.

2013_08_23_marco_buhrer_sc_bern-3x.jpg

EDIT: Both masks seem similar to Hasek's, albeit with ear guard inserts. Oddly, Prusek and Hasek had them with TPS logos, whereas Bührer had it labeled CCM and even Reebok at one point. I wonder which company made the helmet to begin with.

EDIT 2: All above seem to have been made by Warwick

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
For the life of me, I don’t understand how we have self-driving cars, GPS, and 3D printers but we’ve never figured out how to put a piece of glass or plastic into goalie masks that’s shatter proof and doesn’t fog.

Same goes for work safety glasses / goggles.

We are literally going to have people on Mars still fogging up.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
For the life of me, I don’t understand how we have self-driving cars, GPS, and 3D printers but we’ve never figured out how to put a piece of glass or plastic into goalie masks that’s shatter proof and doesn’t fog.

Same goes for work safety glasses / goggles.

We are literally going to have people on Mars still fogging up.

I laughed at this cause its sooo true

It reminded me of a good friend of mine always says, how the hell can we put a man on the moon but nobody for the life of them can figure out how to make a comfortable bicycle seat lol

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Current goalie masks are designed to to basically deflect the puck so you are absorbing less impact. Look at the chin for example. Its narrower and has curves to it, compared to the Hasek mask that is just going to hit you square and take all the impact.

I've never worn one though so I really can't speak from experience as to how it feels to get hit in one.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Compare the cages in those Hasek and Emery pictures:

The newer style has big openings in front of the eyes for better visibility when looking straight forward (or almost straight forward), which should be useful on pretty much every save.

The bottom of the newer style mask fits closer to the face, obstructing peripheral vision (or whatever it's called at the bottom) less than an ill-fitting cage that sticks way off the face.
I remember trying one on back in the 90's, it was like wearing horse blinders. Never understood how people could see out of them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Prusek seems to have worn the same model as Marco Bührer in Switzerland.

2013_08_23_marco_buhrer_sc_bern-3x.jpg

EDIT: Both masks seem similar to Hasek's, albeit with ear guard inserts. Oddly, Prusek and Hasek had them with TPS logos, whereas Bührer had it labeled CCM and even Reebok at one point. I wonder which company made the helmet to begin with.

EDIT 2: All above seem to have been made by Warwick

Even weirder is that photo is from the 2010’s and the bucket has the old CCM logo from 90s-early 2000’s on it.

I thinks it’s an older Jofa though. Reebok bought CCM and Jofa years ago before selling CCM again. Probably couldn’t use the Jofa name on it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2