Why doesn’t it work in Miami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Sure there's bias in there, but I will say this, there are far more people living outside Miami than there are inside Miami. Being in Sunrise draws people from Miami AND from further north because it's a good central location.

I lived in Boca for a couple years, took me 30 minutes at most, tack on another 15 from people father east. Now from West Palm it takes around an hour. Bottom line is there's going to be traffic anywhere.

Put it in Miami and there's going to be more immediate traffic around the area and coming in from up north is going to be even more difficult. A Miami location is good for people in Miami and that's about it, likewise for Downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Sunrise is centrally located in the region and it has easy access. If you put it east, you're going to have to drive into the most congested areas in the region. Pretty much the only time I run into heavy traffic going to Sunrise is on Friday evenings, and anyone who uses the turnpike from where I am to the Sunrise Expressway is going to experience the same. Go through my posts and look at how many people live in that area. And that's ignoring everyone to the south of the arena who also have easy commutes.

Sunrise might not be the best for people in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or West Palm Beach, but it's a damn good compromise for all three.

thank you. i get the feeling anyone saying the best place is downtown doesn't actually drive in the area at 5-6 PM. it's REALLY bad getting into the city. everyone has a freakin car down here and the traffic reflects that, especially downtown.

They WORKED in Miami.

They DON'T in Sunrise.

Muuuuuuuch more to do in Miami, especially with the development of Wynwood and the Design District.

IMO people that want to go to bars and night clubs after a hockey game are in the minority down here. your point of "there's more to do in miami therefore attendance would be better there" is moot because the average patron interested in wynwood is not interested in sports in the slightest and the average hockey fan down here couldn't care less about wynwood's revitalization. don't get be wrong, wynwood is a great place if you are inclined to do that sort of thing. go ahead and do a survey in wynwood of how many people want to fork over $100/pp for a night at the hockey arena with $14 beers instead of a good old fashion bar hop. i'll bet a non-insignificant percentage won't even know there is a hockey team or what they are called.

sunrise is VERY easy to travel to for an overwhelming majority of south floridians. FOUR highways intersect less then a mile away. 595(westbound), 75 (northbound), sawgrass expressway (southbound), and alligator alley (eastbound). the only one with bad traffic heading toward the arena is 595 west.

This wouldn’t work. I live in downtown orlando. I can walk to the Amway. They don’t even sell out magic games, but everybody loves orlando city soccer.

My girlfriend’s family lives 1 mile outside of the arena in sunrise. I was just down there this past weekend. Her father said he only goes to games when the bruins are in town. The location isn’t central by any means. Ft lauderdale is still a 30-35 minute drive from sunrise without traffic. Add in the fact that the team hasn’t been good in some time.

since when is a 45-60 minute drive enough to stop someone from going to a sporting event, concert, or whatever? if the show sucks, people will not go. my good friend drives 40 minutes every week through traffic to bowl in a league with me because it's fun. if it wasn't fun he wouldn't make the drive.

Reactions: StrangeVision

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
It works in Tampa because of winning. Remember it wasnt that long ago the lightning were selling ticket for $8 at 7/11 location if you bought a slurpy. And that was only a few years after they won a cup.

If Tampa had a decade of bad teams that building would be just as empty as the Panthers.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
nothing at the pro level works in Miami.

The Marlins are ignored, and were ignored even when winning World Series

The Dolphins removed 10,000 seats in their stadium renovation. Mostly to be able to hit the 100% capacity requirement to avoid a local blackout

The Heat recently have had solid attendance, but outside of the LeBron boost they got they've been a poorly supported franchise overall

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
"Everyone who sees a team drawing 1000 fans a night and wants them relocated, not even necessarily OUTSIDE the state of Florida, is a troll!!"
The article clearly refers to the people who want the team sent to Quebec as trolls. The people who want to move it to a different area of SFL are simply misinformed.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The Islanders play in Brooklyn. Which would be one of the third most populated city if it were to leave NYC. Getting 12,000 people a night is problematic, worse when you're #1 in your division.

Ottawa is in a traditional hockey market. In a densely populated metropolitan area. They may be dead last, but you'd think they'd get a better attendee rate than Florida.

I don't know, might have something to do with Melnyk and the team tanking for 2 straight years despite not having a plan or a first round pick this upcoming year. Why would anyone want to go to a game when they know their top UFA's to be are all going to get traded for sub par returns while Cody Ceci will be resigned at 8x8 and made captain.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
nothing at the pro level works in Miami.

The Marlins are ignored, and were ignored even when winning World Series

The Dolphins removed 10,000 seats in their stadium renovation. Mostly to be able to hit the 100% capacity requirement to avoid a local blackout

The Heat recently have had solid attendance, but outside of the LeBron boost they got they've been a poorly supported franchise overall
Wrong.
They sold out that (55k football) stadium they were playing in at the time, during both WS runs. They had no build up to either WS season, and no success after either (sold off most the roster the season after the first title). They were isolated events, as low impact success building titles as you can get. So even when the Marlins had success, they limited it as much as possible.
This is why their attendance struggled, they did not build on, or build up to that success. But during those runs, they sold out a 55k seat football stadium.

Reactions: drktmplr12

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
If it only works when the team is winning, is it really working? :dunno:
Attendance issues are not new. Teams struggle with attendance all the time when they're not winning. And that's with organizations that have storied historys, championships, great players, and moments, etc. The Panthers don't even have any of that on top of struggling.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Attendance issues are not new. Teams struggle with attendance all the time when they're not winning. And that's with organizations that have storied historys, championships, great players, and moments, etc. The Panthers don't even have any of that on top of struggling.
This is coming from a devils fan so I also know what it is like to be a fan of the least popular team in your area.

The devils are bad yet the attendance is middle of the pack. I don’t have the stats to back it up, I am just going off of the eye test. The recent panthers home games have looked BAD on television.

I don’t know what needs to be done to get butts in the seats whether it’s making ticket prices $10 or giving them away to try to draw in new fans. I am not proposing a relocation, I just want it to not look bad. It’s not good for the game.

There is nothing else like it going on in the nhl right now. It’s so bad that the Dallas goalie said it felt like a practice/scrimmage. It’s not like the panthers are a really bad team either even after a bad management decision gifting Vegas 2/3 of a first line.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
This is coming from a devils fan so I also know what it is like to be a fan of the least popular team in your area.

The devils are bad yet the attendance is middle of the pack. I don’t have the stats to back it up, I am just going off of the eye test. The recent panthers home games have looked BAD on television.

I don’t know what needs to be done to get butts in the seats whether it’s making ticket prices $10 or giving them away to try to draw in new fans. I am not proposing a relocation, I just want it to not look bad. It’s not good for the game.

There is nothing else like it going on in the nhl right now. It’s so bad that the Dallas goalie said it felt like a practice/scrimmage. It’s not like the panthers are a really bad team either even after a bad management decision gifting Vegas 2/3 of a first line.
upload_2019-2-20_13-45-21.png

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

Misleading because the Devils capacity is 16,514. Technically it's 17,625, but they stopped counting certain sections of seating into the overall capacity and attendance. The Devils are averaging 15,232 (92%) at the Prudential Center this year. When adjusting it for the 17,625 capacity it's 16,257.

TL;DR

Officially: 15,232
Unofficially: 16,257

NOTE: Make sure you click on the "18-19" blue link at the bottom.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Misleading because the Devils capacity is 16,514. Technically it's 17,625, but they stopped counting certain sections of seating into the overall capacity and attendance. The Devils are averaging 15,232 (92%) at the Prudential Center this year. When adjusting it for the 17,625 capacity it's 16,257.

TL;DR

Officially: 15,232
Unofficially: 16,257

NOTE: Make sure you click on the "18-19" blue link at the bottom.

so the Devils tarped off a few sections to "reduce" capacity and you say that I'm being misleading? your post makes no sense.
I guess 2K people makes s big difference when watching on tv

Panthers.0.0.jpg
nice job pulling up a pic from a game FIVE years ago.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
so the Devils tarped off a few sections to "reduce" capacity and you say that I'm being misleading? your post makes no sense.

nice job pulling up a pic from a game FIVE years ago.
Well this pic from this year doesn’t look any different

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
When we were winning in 96 it worked pretty darn well the arena was packed. It doesn't work in Miami or Sunrise for the simple reason we aren't a winner. If we win and are competitive the fans will show up to the games and spend their money.

That's pretty much the whole state of Florida when it comes to pro-sports and some college.

It's a shame it's like the bandwagon state. Team wins, people jump on, team loses, they jump off.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Winning means a lot. I have to believe that is much of the problem. The location of the arena is not ideal either but I believe winning trumps location of arena. Maybe the success of Shayne Gostisbehere can help turn the tide. Good products overcome obstacles.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
If it only works when the team is winning, is it really working? :dunno:

You have to understand that there is a major difference between a losing season and a losing culture. We've seen the effects of both.

Carolina had a losing season in 2006-2007 when they failed to make the playoffs after winning the Stanley Cup. They had solid attendance that year. The same thing occurred in 2009-2010, where we again missed the playoffs after a deep run in 2009. Again, attendance was solid.

But now, after a decade-long playoff drought, we are trying to reverse the effects of a losing culture in Carolina. It is hard to drive ticket sales and season ticket renewals when fans are convinced that their team sucks and is hopeless. The only way to overcome this losing culture is for ownership to reconnect with the fans and to commit to winning. Dundon has made that commitment. Now that the team is winning, the fans are starting to return.

That's all that Florida needs. A consistently competitive team to cheer for. You don't have to make the playoffs EVERY year, but when more than half of the teams do advance to postseason play, your team should be in the mix at least every other year.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

No. They still have a 17,625 seating capacity, but only 16,514 gets counted into the attendance. The other 1,111 seats still exist and get sold. I believe they were luxury boxes that used to be counted into attendance, but now they don't.

A sellout for the Devils gets posted as 16,514. However there is actually 17,625 people in the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille