Why doesn’t it work in Miami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No. They still have a 17,625 seating capacity, but only 16,514 gets counted into the attendance. The other 1,111 seats still exist and get sold. I believe they were luxury boxes that used to be counted into attendance, but now they don't.

A sellout for the Devils gets posted as 16,514. However there is actually 17,625 people in the arena.
I would love to see an official link to this explanation because it makes absolutely no sense to not count actual people at the game. Higher attendance numbers are a good thing. There is no reason to artificially deflate those numbers.

Reactions: berlin

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I would love to see an official link to this explanation because it makes absolutely no sense to not count actual people at the game. Higher attendance numbers are a good thing. There is no reason to artificially deflate those numbers.

Actually most arenas or stadiums usually don't count luxury boxes into attendance. The Devils were just following suit.

Reactions: Beezeral

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
It’s because they haven’t had much to cheer for, it’s the same in almost all sports cities, (especially smaller cities, but even large cities such as Chicago in the 90’s and early 2000’s for example) win and they will come. Of course the location being so far away from much of anything doesn’t help either. Being bad a few seasons is one thing but when your team sucks for a decade or two that’s different. I think a better question would be why are the Islanders at the bottom of the league for attendance yet they’re first in the division and play in one of the nations largest cities? And don’t even try telling me “it’s the arena’s fault”.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderAlleyNomad

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I don't know, might have something to do with Melnyk and the team tanking for 2 straight years despite not having a plan or a first round pick this upcoming year. Why would anyone want to go to a game when they know their top UFA's to be are all going to get traded for sub par returns while Cody Ceci will be resigned at 8x8 and made captain.
Exactly! 2 years of BS and you're sick of it, right?
The Panthers various owners have been Melnyk-ing for most of the last 20 years....

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
There is no arena that is home to at least one Big 4 franchise (NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB) in a less appealing place than Sunrise.

Panthers had better attendance at the far smaller Miami Arena.

Hockey worked in Miami and it could work at the American Airlines Arena.

All these Broward fans defending those embarrassing turnouts is extremely cringy.

The BB&T is surrounded by the Everglades, an antiquated mall, a trailer park, an IKEA and housing developments. In other words, hell.

Reactions: berlin

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
here is a straight up lie. I had season tickets during the lebron years. I had 100 level Tix and rarely got less then 2x face value when selling the games I couldn’t go to on stub hub. Sold game 1 against the mavs and paid off the entire post season with the profits.

What N odd thing to make to try and take a dig at the SFL fanbase

I am part of the sofl fan base. Been a Heat and UM fan since moving here in 2001. Tix were that cheap the first season LeBron was here. The ticket prices didnt rise until after they won their first chip with the big 3. I also paid $35/seat for game 1 of the playoffs against the knicks. This was all on stubhub.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
You have to understand that there is a major difference between a losing season and a losing culture. We've seen the effects of both.

Carolina had a losing season in 2006-2007 when they failed to make the playoffs after winning the Stanley Cup. They had solid attendance that year. The same thing occurred in 2009-2010, where we again missed the playoffs after a deep run in 2009. Again, attendance was solid.

But now, after a decade-long playoff drought, we are trying to reverse the effects of a losing culture in Carolina. It is hard to drive ticket sales and season ticket renewals when fans are convinced that their team sucks and is hopeless. The only way to overcome this losing culture is for ownership to reconnect with the fans and to commit to winning. Dundon has made that commitment. Now that the team is winning, the fans are starting to return.

That's all that Florida needs. A consistently competitive team to cheer for. You don't have to make the playoffs EVERY year, but when more than half of the teams do advance to postseason play, your team should be in the mix at least every other year.
The bolded part says it all. People have long forgotten that once upon a time, you couldn't find a ticket to a Dolphins game. The team was great, everyone wanted to go, the place was packed, it was a "gotta go to" destination for opposing fans, no Dolphins fans who had tickets was doing the "eh, I've got better things to do on a Sunday, anyone want these tix?" thing. You wanted a ticket? Bring lots of cash, prepare to pay out the nose.

Since 2001, though? They've been to the playoffs exactly twice and had six (6) winning seasons in 17. They haven't won a playoff game since 2000. They haven't played for a Super Bowl bid since 1993. The result? Fans have grown apathetic and disinterested, tickets are an easy get; the level of support down there is weaker and not remotely as die-hard as it was even 20 years ago.

There are very few teams that pack all the seats regardless of how the team is doing. For all the rest, prolonged losing has a way of making great markets look terrible and prolonged winning has a way of making weak markets look great.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
They WORKED in Miami.

They DON'T in Sunrise.

Muuuuuuuch more to do in Miami, especially with the development of Wynwood and the Design District.

You would think with sawgrass mall close by that people would make a day out of going to the mall then to the game but it doesnt happen.

They need some sustained success to get a good fan base.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I am part of the sofl fan base. Been a Heat and UM fan since moving here in 2001. Tix were that cheap the first season LeBron was here. The ticket prices didnt rise until after they won their first chip with the big 3. I also paid $35/seat for game 1 of the playoffs against the knicks. This was all on stubhub.
Again. Actual season ticket holder. I went to 20ish regular season games and all but one playoff game year one and still cleared a couple grand on my tickets.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
a pre-season game that took place at 3:00 pm on a weekday. lmao. your bias is so incredibly real.
Every game I've watched has had stands that look like that, if someone could find a non-playoff game that looked packed I'd be very interested, because every single game I've seen this year (and I watch a lot of hockey) has looked barren

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I guess 2K people makes s big difference when watching on tv

Panthers.0.0.jpg
I’m sure “attendance” was quoted at 8-9000.. it’s because all those empty 100 level seats are technically “sold” they’re corporate seats, giveaways to people that don’t care about hockey. And why would they? The team is mediocre, nothing exciting will happen except “fast skating”, Florida will likely lose, and you just spent $200+ on parking, food, and $12 beers to sit with these 1500 people on a random Wednesday or whatever. I have said it repeatedly in several threads. Euro no contact hockey will not sell in the U.S. this is what happens.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
You'd think all the people going on cruises would show up a day early in Ft. Lauderdale to check out a cheap game. Most of the cruise crowd are staying in Plantation, and Sunrise is literally right there.

I've been to BB&T more than I've been to the Prudential Center and Brendan Byrne combined.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
That one poster above is 100% bang on. It's not winning and having a generation not care because of it.

I'm in Edmonton. Mid 30's. Been watching since 1990 (That's when I remember as my dad and brothers watched it a lot before as well).

The Oilers were a bubble team and made the play offs in the early and late 90's. Kept me hooked.

My nephew is 15 now. He got hooked to basketball by watching youtube, etc. Oilers have sucked his whole life pretty much lol.

He asks how the Oilers are doing, but does not care. The losing lost the Oil a lot of up and coming fans

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Euro no contact hockey will not sell in the U.S. this is what happens.
Then why does it sell in Tampa, Boston, New York, Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Winnipeg, Nashville, Vegas, and San Jose?

All of those places either have winning teams who've been winning for years, recently got a team that's currently really good, or happens to be one of the few markets that attracts fans no matter what. That whole "consistent winning" thing, the Panthers haven't had since 2000.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Northern Florida is people from all over the continent who just ended up there. Many bring hockey fandom with them.

South Florida is basically every different nation, Spanish, Hatian, Indian, Jamaican
Black, White, Cuban, and Asian. The residents there party in the city where the heat is on all night, on the beach till the break of dawn. When would they go to watch Ice Hockey? No way... it's about to reach five-hundred degrees in the Carribean seas!

:laugh:

I started reading this... then I asked myself: Did he just do what I think he did? Read it again and proceed to lmao. :laugh:

Well played

Reactions: Beezeral

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Miami and Tampa are like night and day- just because they are in the same state doesn't mean jack.

Miami is basically in a foriegn country, let's face it. Jai-Ali is legitimately more popular than hockey. I mean nobody would question why hockey doesnt work in Rio De Janerio or Havana, would they?

Tampa is a military town that attracts people from all over the US to live and work there long term, many of whom bring their hockey fandom from elsewhere and then go native.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Then why does it sell in Tampa, Boston, New York, Toronto, Montreal, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Winnipeg, Nashville, Vegas, and San Jose?

All of those places either have winning teams who've been winning for years, recently got a team that's currently really good, or happens to be one of the few markets that attracts fans no matter what. That whole "consistent winning" thing, the Panthers haven't had since 2000.
Lol...

Toronto Montreal and winnipeg are in Canada. It doesn’t matter what kind of hockey they play. The oilers missed the playoffs from 07 to what... 2016? And save one year, they sold out every home game.

Tampa? Wins.
Boston? Wins, and they’re the “big bad bruins”
Rangers? Messier.
Washington? Wins, and ovy, who never shies away from contact. Plus, Wilson.
Pitt? Duh.
Smashville, vegas, and San Jose? It’s because they built their fan base on tough hockey.

Watching the chi/det game now.. what do they show for the stadium series pit/phillly game? Hits and rough stuff.. which hasn’t happened since 2012.. and won’t happen Saturday, lol. Refs and linesmen will make sure of that, especially when it’s on NBC.

I have watched since 91. I am one of about 8 people I know that truly follows hockey. The new product has no appeal to casual fans. Americans love the rough stuff. NFL is in the same boat now that they’ve taken hitting out.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
You'd think all the people going on cruises would show up a day early in Ft. Lauderdale to check out a cheap game. Most of the cruise crowd are staying in Plantation, and Sunrise is literally right there.

I've been to BB&T more than I've been to the Prudential Center and Brendan Byrne combined.
HA, my parents are going on a cruise on Sunday. I suggested they go catch a game as they love hockey and both said "meh". Mind you they're used to being in the box @ Scotiabank Place but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad