Why doesn’t it work in Miami?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016

One Florida team is seemingly always struggling to fill seats, the other is not.

Even when the Lightning weren't winning frequently, they weren't dealing with THIS many empty seats- even the Barry Melrose debacle didn't kill off attendance to this degree.

Reactions: berlin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The Lightning had probably the greatest dynamic duo of the 2000's not named Sedin even when they were bad. Lecavalier and St Louis were worth the price of admission alone

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

One Florida team is seemingly always struggling to fill seats, the other is not.

Even when the Lightning weren't winning frequently, they weren't dealing with THIS many empty seats.

This would probably be better from a local but isn't tampas arena in a better location ?

Otherwise they won a cup and then got a first overall pick , players got some individual hardware during their down years .

Then lately other than that blip the other year where they just missed the playoffs they have gone to the ecf a couple times and have generally been a good team

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Bandwagon is huge for the Bolts for the past few years. They love the winning, and that's about it. They don't know a ton about the history of the team, previous players, anything like that. They know their local team is winning and that's what they want to see.

When they weren't winning there were a lot of empty seats. I don't recall seeing it as bad as the Panthers though, but it was bad.

For how pathetic and fickle the Tampa Bay area sports market is, the Miami area sports market is even worse.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
It had to be demoralizing for them to see three of their guys get to the Finals with Vegas.

I hope they get Panarin and Bobrovsky and they become a playoff team. If they then still have issues drawing crowds, then it might be time time to consider alternatives

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
tampa has a good team and also i had a really good time at amalie when i watched a game (more enjoyable than the other two ive been to) so the experience helps bring people in as well

though parking was a bit of a cluster **** i found
100% true

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Every team has a hard time getting fans in south florida; even the Heat had a hard time getting people to come to games prior to LeBron coming and the arena is located in the middle of Miami. Even Brons 1st year here, I remember paying $35-40 for 100 level seats. Even paid $150 for game 1 of the finals vs. the mavs.

The Panthers are located across the street from literally one of the largest malls in America and still have a hard time getting fans to come to the games.

The bottom line is that most people living in Florida are not originally from down here, hence the abundance of away fans during Rangers, Maple Leafs, Canadians, and Flyers games. On top of that College Football is the big sport, with so many UF and FSU alums living in sofl and UM being here.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I remember paying $35-40 for 100 level seats. Even paid $150 for game 1 of the finals vs. the mavs.
here is a straight up lie. I had season tickets during the lebron years. I had 100 level Tix and rarely got less then 2x face value when selling the games I couldn’t go to on stub hub. Sold game 1 against the mavs and paid off the entire post season with the profits.

What N odd thing to make to try and take a dig at the SFL fanbase

Last edited:
Reactions: drktmplr12

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
It's been mentioned but yeah the Panthers do not play in Miami. They are in Ft. Lauderdale which is known for beaches, one of the biggest malls in the US and the fact that it is an unfortunate amount of time and traffic outside of Miami.

Winning consistently also helps with the whole popularity thing.
And SPRING BREAK BABY!

Reactions: robertmac43

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What if they reallocate and play out of Orlando?

Or based themselves in Sunrise but play 10-20 home games in Miami at the arena downtown.

member 305909

Is there any similar talk with any other team in the other major North-American professional leagues that they dont "belong" where they are located?

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
They WORKED in Miami.

They DON'T in Sunrise.

Muuuuuuuch more to do in Miami, especially with the development of Wynwood and the Design District.

GuinosWin71

Mar 18, 2008
What if they reallocate and play out of Orlando?

This wouldn’t work. I live in downtown orlando. I can walk to the Amway. They don’t even sell out magic games, but everybody loves orlando city soccer.

My girlfriend’s family lives 1 mile outside of the arena in sunrise. I was just down there this past weekend. Her father said he only goes to games when the bruins are in town. The location isn’t central by any means. Ft lauderdale is still a 30-35 minute drive from sunrise without traffic. Add in the fact that the team hasn’t been good in some time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad