Why does Toews get more praise and attention than Kane?

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Kane doesn't have anything close to the same amount of responsibilities as Toews. Their career PPG is close in the regular season and playoffs. Toews just does it while being a Selke winning centre.

Kane gets way too much praise on HF. The guy is on the same level as Kessel but with a better team surrounding him. But people think Kane is on some whole new level.

This. Switch Kessel and Kane and the two teams are the exact same.

member 151739

No. No, they wouldn't be. They play completely different, so how would the team be the exact same? And if you're referring to just results, it's impossible to know. You can't just plug in players and assume the same results. It's ridiculous that some think this is a good argument.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I don't know about that.

At the end of a season, if you looked at the production numbers, maybe. But as far as style of play and skillset, Kane plays a lot more like a center than a traditional winger. He wants and has the puck on his stick all the time, and he's usually the guy that the offense runs through on his line. I've never really seen Kessel 'direct traffic' in the same way.

But, in truth, I don't see as many Leaf games as I see Hawks games.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
Toews has the higher intangibles stats. Kane will never be better than him at those, sorry.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don't see too much of the Hawks. But when an entire fanbase agrees one one guy being better than the other, even if the one guy scores less points than the other. I tend to believe that fanbase.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Where is your proof of this? Please don't give me Feschuk, Wilson or Watters words. They all have axes to grind with Phil and the Leafs

When there's smoke theres fire. Kane is face of USA Hockey and a future hall of famer. Kessel is a guy who will be the next Gomez.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Toews is incredibly overrated. I think they're on the same level roughly. I prefer Kane because he's flashier and scores more in tough situations.

member 151739

Where is your proof of this? Please don't give me Feschuk, Wilson or Watters words. They all have axes to grind with Phil and the Leafs

Where is the proof that Kessel would win a Cup with the Hawks? Taking out Kane, you have to replace his exact key moments in exact times, his production in general, and everything else. Why is it a good argument on HF to suggest that he'd replicate this just because they're around the same offensively?

You can't call out one of those arguments as bad and favor the other. They are both bad arguments. Could Kessel win a Cup with the Hawks? Definitely, but who knows? Nobody. The fact remains that Kane has won (and has been instrumental both times) two Cups with the Hawks. Can't fault Kessel for that, but you must praise Kane for it. Just the way it goes.

Nothingman*

Kane has the killer instinct in the playoffsKessel will never have. He loves the pressure and big stage. I have not seen Kessel enjoy that......or pressure.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Where is the proof that Kessel would win a Cup with the Hawks? Taking out Kane, you have to replace his exact key moments in exact times, his production in general, and everything else. Why is it a good argument on HF to suggest that he'd replicate this just because they're around the same offensively?

Why do I need to prove a claim I didn't even make?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
When there's smoke theres fire. Kane is face of USA Hockey and a future hall of famer. Kessel is a guy who will be the next Gomez.

We'll have to see about that. Kessel is hardly in Gomez territory when he is still ppg. Kane isn't the face of USA hockey either, that probably goes to Suter or Quick, and if you ask me, neither make the hall

member 151739

We'll have to see about that. Kessel is hardly in Gomez territory when he is still ppg. Kane isn't the face of USA hockey either, that probably goes to Suter or Quick, and if you ask me, neither make the hall

Kane's a future Hall of Fame player. Not a lock by any means, but he's on the path, and it can't really be argued otherwise.

Calder
Conn Smythe (first American forward to win this)
2 Stanley Cups

And his career has a long ways to go.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007

One player is a playmaker; the other is a goal scorer. They produce similar numbers in the regular season, but that's about where the comparisons stop. Kane is just a big-game player. His playoff resume speaks for itself.

In fact, because Kane is such a skilled player, I think we as hockey fans want and expect more from him in the regular season. He could definitely be more than just a PPG player if he had Toews' all out effort game-in game-out.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Kane's been the face of USA Hockey for like 5 years :lol: he's an easy hall of famer.

alexny

Jun 15, 2014
Kessel is ppg in playoffs, and hasn't had as much chance to shine as Kane did. Playing for the Hawks will do that for you. Go figure

His choice, although apparently the Bruins were fine with it.

If Kessel couldn't deal with Julien, I have no idea why anyone thinks he would have any use for Joel Quenneville.

He's a defensive-minded coach and he also wants to roll four lines.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Kane's a future Hall of Fame player. Don't see how you can say otherwise.

Calder
Conn Smythe (first American forward to win this)
2 Stanley Cups

And his career has a long ways to go.

Because he has similar numbers to "bums" like Kessel and plays with a much more talented group of players in Chicago than most ppg guys could dream for. If he makes it, it's solely for his playoff hardware and nothing else.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida

Do you really think Suter or Quick are more recognizable than Kane? Not saying it's necessarily deserved when you factor in international play... or even that it matters... but he had more jerseys sold than anyone else in 2014. I think you would be hard pressed to find a more recognizable American player.

Maybe TJ Oshie. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad