Why does Toews get more praise and attention than Kane?

FirewagonChange

Oct 8, 2014
Kane is so much better than Toews it's not even worth debating. But everyone (mostly media) praise Toews and never do the same for Kane. If Kane is lucky on a good day he is looked at as Robin to Toews' Batman.

Kane puts up more points. He is better in the playoffs. He's more clutch. He's more entertaining to watch.

Is this a case of Canadian media picking the Canadian over the American and then the American hockey media guys being brainwashed?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Tinfoil hat on for the last sentence...

He is the captain and their 1C. He also isn't handed OZS. He will be portrayed as better.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
I feel like this topic has been done a lot on here..

He's a bit more well-rounded, plays more physical, plays center, wins a lot of face offs, usually very good defensively, good leader, never dogs it, plus he is skilled and puts up points.

He's got the C and the pressure that comes with it.

Seems like more of a nice guy. Doesn't beat up cabbies or pass out in bars etc.

I love Kane though, too.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Kane doesn't have anything close to the same amount of responsibilities as Toews. Their career PPG is close in the regular season and playoffs. Toews just does it while being a Selke winning centre.

Kane gets way too much praise on HF. The guy is on the same level as Kessel but with a better team surrounding him. But people think Kane is on some whole new level.

bhawks1399*

Toews does the hard work, I haven't missed one of their games this season and whenever the blackhawks seem dead in the third period down by a goal its always toews who is the guy putting the entire team on his back and carrying them and always puts in 100% Kane's my favorite player but its the toews line that gets the puck out of the d-zone and into the o-zone. Not saying Kane doesn't usually carry his line but toews definitely works harder for what he gets and does so many of the little things right in all three zones that benefit kanes line. Not trying to discredit Kane or anything as he works hard also but toews gets the recognition he rightfully deserves in the whole two way game category

Edit: also toews is a center who specializes in faceoffs and puts up points while still shutting down the other teams top offensive line

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
Kane is so much better than Toews it's not even worth debating. But everyone (mostly media) praise Toews and never do the same for Kane. If Kane is lucky on a good day he is looked at as Robin to Toews' Batman.

Kane puts up more points. He is better in the playoffs. He's more clutch. He's more entertaining to watch.

Is this a case of Canadian media picking the Canadian over the American and then the American hockey media guys being brainwashed?

Not sure if serious.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Because Toews is a better, more complete player than Kane.

One of these two players can shut down the other team's top players, drive possession better than almost any player in the league, and contribute points, AT THE SAME TIME.

The other is a gifted offensive winger that's very entertaining to watch.

To be quite frank, there's an argument to be made that Kane isn't even the best right-wing on the Blackhawks (though such arguments would be quieter this season than in seasons past).

Kane will always score more goals and sell more jerseys than Toews. Toews will always be more important to the success of the Hawks than Kane.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
People on HF falsely assume that being a centre and being a defensive-minded player are more important than the actual ability of the player. That's why Bergeron and Toews were being put into the top5 of NHL players when neither of them deserve to be there.

Without Kane's offense, the Blackhawks wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are. They need Kane as much as they need Toews (and they need Keith more than either).

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Start with Toews.

Take away everything that isn't pure offense.

Now boost that pure offense up by like 7%.

Give him some cool flashy video game moves that appeal to 8 year olds.

You now have Patrick Kane.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Are you ****ing serious?

I'm not even sure where to start here.

I'll do it the easy way, Toews is a much better all around player while Kane hasn't exactly out scored him by 20 points every season. Toews was much better the year he won the Smythe than Kane was when he won it. And in 2013 it shouldn't of even gone to Kane. He was best forward at the 2010 Olympics, won a Selke and is the running for it every year.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
People on HF falsely assume that being a centre and being a defensive-minded player are more important than the actual ability of the player. That's why Bergeron and Toews were being put into the top5 of NHL players when neither of them deserve to be there.

Without Kane's offense, the Blackhawks wouldn't be nearly as successful as they are. They need Kane as much as they need Toews (and they need Keith more than either).

More important? No.

Valuable? Yes.

Value is inherently based on the a) the impact of the skillset on the game and b) the rarity of the skillset among the pool of players available.

The impact of the skillset is clear. Every team that has won the cup since the lockout has had at least one elite 2-way player, save one... and that one had two HOF dmen.

The rarity of the skillset is also fairly clear. If anybody could play a 200 foot game like Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Hossa, etc, or anybody could be taught to, then it would be common in the league. Of course, it's not, because trying to teach a player like Kane or Kessel to play a 200 ft game is as futile as trying to teach John Scott to put up points like Crosby.

The Hawks would not be as successful as they are without Kane's offense. They would be far worse off with Kane and without Toews though.

Last edited:

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Oh great another Toews vs. Kane thread. For the love of god can we stop already?

Toews is the captain and a star player he's going to get attention. Big shocker.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
That third line was killer tho with Rob Nidermayer, Pahlsson and Moen.

True, though I wouldn't consider any one of them elite.

Pahlsson probably should have got consideration for the Smythe, IMO though.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Kane plays on the 2nd line getting those easy minutes while Toews is the one shutting down opponents and being relied out there. Toews does the dirty work but Kane makes it look good on the score sheet. It's a good way of using both of them but Toews is the better overall player, Kane might be more flashy but Toews can play that gritty style, cycle and never backs down while sometimes Kane can get a little soft and not always get into the dirty areas.

He's the typical good 'ole Canadian boy, gritty, works hard, two-way, leadership but he's the most important piece of the Blackhawks without a doubt. You build a team around a guy like this, a do it all guy that excels at everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad