Why does Toews get more praise and attention than Kane?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kane is a little intimidating.

He doesn't talk much, and flames explode out of the turnbuckles when he extends his arms outward and then brings them down in decisive fashion.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He plays a more complete game. They're pretty equally praised in Chicago. Can't speak for tsn and crap up north.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Kane doesn't have anything close to the same amount of responsibilities as Toews. Their career PPG is close in the regular season and playoffs. Toews just does it while being a Selke winning centre.

Kane gets way too much praise on HF. The guy is on the same level as Kessel but with a better team surrounding him. But people think Kane is on some whole new level.

Why bring Kessel into this? Is this like an HF Board rule that any thread about Kessel has to prop up Kessel by comparing him to Patrick Kane and any thread about Kane has to tear down Kane by comparing him to Phil Kessel?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He plays a more complete game. They're pretty equally praised in Chicago. Can't speak for tsn and crap up north.

Kane gets plenty of play up here in Canada. He's routinely called one of the most dynamic, entertaining, exciting, etc players in the NHL.

And he was in the top 10 in TSN's top 50 this year... and he was the year before that too, I believe.

He gets plenty of credit. I don't know where this Kane fan inferiority complex stems from, to be honest.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Kane doesn't have anything close to the same amount of responsibilities as Toews. Their career PPG is close in the regular season and playoffs. Toews just does it while being a Selke winning centre.

Kane gets way too much praise on HF. The guy is on the same level as Kessel but with a better team surrounding him. But people think Kane is on some whole new level.

Kane is a far superior player to Kessel.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

Pretty much.

Kane had the best selling jersey in the NHL in 2014 and more all-star votes than Toews so some folks are giving more praise and attention to Kane.

But I'm sure in Canada it's Toews all the way and that's understandable from their perspective.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

TSN will always be a bit biased towards Canadians (I find they can be, which is understandable coming from Canadas top sports network). They don't diminish Kanes abilities, but seeing as Toews is the better player, they talk about him that way.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Kane is always the better player against Wild. Toews usually does nothing..

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Kane is always the better player against Wild. Toews usually does nothing..

Bryan Bickell is the Hawks leading PPG scorer against the Wild. That doesn't make him the Hawks best player. :laugh:

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Why bring Kessel into this? Is this like an HF Board rule that any thread about Kessel has to prop up Kessel by comparing him to Patrick Kane and any thread about Kane has to tear down Kane by comparing him to Phil Kessel?

It's like Leafs fans have a Kane sense that tingles whenever his name is brought up in a thread so they can be sure to interject Kessel into the conversation - no matter how irrelevant - and remind us all of his glorious existence.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Kane is a little intimidating.

He doesn't talk much, and flames explode out of the turnbuckles when he extends his arms outward and then brings them down in decisive fashion.

This might be my favorite HFBoards post to date. :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Kane is so much better than Toews it's not even worth debating. But everyone (mostly media) praise Toews and never do the same for Kane. If Kane is lucky on a good day he is looked at as Robin to Toews' Batman.

Kane puts up more points. He is better in the playoffs. He's more clutch. He's more entertaining to watch.

Is this a case of Canadian media picking the Canadian over the American and then the American hockey media guys being brainwashed?

Toews and Kane are very different sort of players. Toews is a two-way, Selke caliber center known for his leadership on and off the ice. Kane's a playmaking, offensive dynamo winger who walks on the wild side of life a bit more. Kane probably has more raw skill, but Toews brings more intangibles and maturity. Both are important part of the Hawks' championship teams. I think the question of whom one prefers and whose better tends to come down to one's personal philosophy about what makes a player fun to watch or what's the first piece you would look for in building a championship team.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's like Leafs fans have a Kane sense that tingles whenever his name is brought up in a thread so they can be sure to interject Kessel into the conversation - no matter how irrelevant - and remind us all of his glorious existence.

It wasn't even a Leaf fan who said that in this thread. Why don't you read the thread before spewing your blanket statement bull****

DyerMaker66*

Because Toews has never beaten a guy up over 125 cents.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Kane plays on the 2nd line getting those easy minutes while Toews is the one shutting down opponents and being relied out there. Toews does the dirty work but Kane makes it look good on the score sheet. It's a good way of using both of them but Toews is the better overall player, Kane might be more flashy but Toews can play that gritty style, cycle and never backs down while sometimes Kane can get a little soft and not always get into the dirty areas.

He's the typical good 'ole Canadian boy, gritty, works hard, two-way, leadership but he's the most important piece of the Blackhawks without a doubt. You build a team around a guy like this, a do it all guy that excels at everything.

I don't disagree that Kane gets easier matchups than Toews generally.

However, you're selling Kane short with your analysis of his toughness and grit.

And one interesting quirk with this year is Q has decided to always put Kane's line on the ice when the Hawks are ahead in the 3rd and the other team goes 6-on-5 to try to tie it at the end. Q is definitely giving Kane more defensive responsibility this year.

member 151739

Because he's a more complete player. They are both integral to the Hawks' success. Same with Keith. Debate which one is the best all you like, I'm just happy we have all three of them. Not to mention Sharp, Hossa, Seabrook, and Hjalmarsson.

But of course, Kessel had to be mentioned because he's the almighty being that would obviously win the Cup if you plug him in on the team because that's such a flawless argument, completely disregarding the fact that the two play entirely different games with and without the puck, and it will derail the thread. As usual.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
To answer the op, Kane doesn't get the praise Toews does because he's lightyears behind him defensively, and doesn't have enough of an offensive edge to overcome it. Toews is great on the dot and is usually a sure bet to come out on top of most match ups he faces, all the while drving possesion, scoring at a good clip, and playing fantastic defense.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
If I'm an expansion team looking to get my foot in the water, make money and attract fans (and still win some games)- I probably pick Kane.
If I'm a solid team looking to make the playoffs and/or win the Stanley cup (and still sell jerseys/make money)- I probably pick Toews.

Two of my favourite players, I think they probably both MEAN as much to the blackhawks as the other but I think that was Toews brings to the table is just a but more value to a team going for the cup. Pretty much if I had to put them on a scale out of 10 they're like a 9.1 and a 9.4 as players.

alexny

Jun 15, 2014
Kane is so much better than Toews it's not even worth debating. But everyone (mostly media) praise Toews and never do the same for Kane. If Kane is lucky on a good day he is looked at as Robin to Toews' Batman.

Kane puts up more points. He is better in the playoffs. He's more clutch. He's more entertaining to watch.

Is this a case of Canadian media picking the Canadian over the American and then the American hockey media guys being brainwashed?

Overstating just a bit, don't you think? The media does love Toews, but Kane's come a long way since the time when a day didn't pass without an article about why Kane should be traded.

And his GM just gave him the same contract (again) as Toews, so it seems that his team values him pretty highly.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Perhaps offensively, but Toews is a complete player. Everyone who follows this sport enough know this.

Put Kane on a terrible team like EDM and he probably won't improve the team much at all other than on the score sheet. Put Toews on EDM for example and they probably improve much more because of having a #1 center. JMO of course. That doesn't mean it is like that for every team. Teams have different needs. But as a whole, Toews is more valuable to most teams because the center position is the most sought after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad