Why does Steven Stamkos struggle in the playoffs?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The more high-profile and one-dimensional a player is, the more likely they'll be shut down in the playoffs. With defenses tightening up (especially in the neutral zone), less offense is generated off the rush and more comes from the cycle (maintaining possession, either picking the defense apart with passes down low or working back to the point looking for deflections or rebounds). Ovechkin in his prime being shut down by Montreal is a great example of this. As prolific as he was in those days, he was a one-trick pony, scoring most of his goals off the rush and usually with the same move (curl and drag, shoot through the defenders skates). Stamkos finding quiet ice and needing to be set up is another example of one trick that he's really good at but that is easily taken away from him.

The ones you see excel in the playoffs are typically the players who score lots of ugly goals, like Parise, or guys who score in so many different ways that they can't be labeled as one type of player, like Kane.

Edit: since I criticized prime Ovechkin and I'm sure some will take offense or give Halak all the praise, I'll point out that I think he's a far more complete player now than when he was putting up more points. He's lost a step physically for sure but he's a much smarter player than he was before.

Ovechkin shutdown by Montreal ? 10 points in 7 games is getting shutdown now ?
That's 1.42 PPG, or 117 points over the course of a full season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You're crazy if you think Cooper isn't going to absolutely bury Erne in the pressbox and on the 4th line.

The plan before the season started was first for a 2nd line of Palat - Flip - Callahan, with Kucherov playing on the top RW with Stamkos, and Johnson as the 3C, then TKO emerged. TKO has bascially managed to isolate Stamkos, since the KFC (Killorn-Flip-Callahan) line has been an excellent line as well on both ends of the ice. Then our 4th line , which has also been solid. Boyle with 15 goals this season is very impressive, that is 3rd line goal scoring right there.

It's almost like we have to pay Stamkos, and then pay to get another MSL type winger to get him back to that 90 points form. Erne could take several seasons before he is even ready to play, and who knows how he does in a top line situation, he is no MSL, different kind of player.

I think everyone might have to accept the fact that Stamkos may not be this 50 plus goal scorer, 90 point player anymore. Honestly, thought his production was more than fine this season, but it was the bad decisions and just being lost out there, that has been the real issue. Hopefully Yzerman realizes this and won't just hand him a blank check. Anything more than around 9 or 10 million will seriously handcuff this team.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
You're crazy if you think Cooper isn't going to absolutely bury Erne in the pressbox and on the 4th line.

I don't expect it, just saying it is possible. Cooper loved Paquette, he didn't exactly see much time in the press box. Cooper loves Erne who is of a similar mold just offensively more talented. So I don't think it is impossible that he gives him Time on the top line. Get someone that relies on skill more than physicality, good luck with that press box bud. :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't expect it, just saying it is possible. Cooper loved Paquette, he didn't exactly see much time in the press box. Cooper loves Erne who is of a similar mold just offensively more talented. So I don't think it is impossible that he gives him Time on the top line. Get someone that relies on skill more than physicality, good luck with that press box bud. :laugh:

Given Erne's style of play, it's not hard to picture him getting fast tracked. With Brett Connolly gone, Brenden Morrow leaving, there'll be room for at least one winger next year.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

It's more about fan expectations, I think. If we're dying to see him play, off to the pressbox he goes.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
The more high-profile and one-dimensional a player is, the more likely they'll be shut down in the playoffs. With defenses tightening up (especially in the neutral zone), less offense is generated off the rush and more comes from the cycle (maintaining possession, either picking the defense apart with passes down low or working back to the point looking for deflections or rebounds). Ovechkin in his prime being shut down by Montreal is a great example of this. As prolific as he was in those days, he was a one-trick pony, scoring most of his goals off the rush and usually with the same move (curl and drag, shoot through the defenders skates). Stamkos finding quiet ice and needing to be set up is another example of one trick that he's really good at but that is easily taken away from him.

The ones you see excel in the playoffs are typically the players who score lots of ugly goals, like Parise, or guys who score in so many different ways that they can't be labeled as one type of player, like Kane.

Edit: since I criticized prime Ovechkin and I'm sure some will take offense or give Halak all the praise, I'll point out that I think he's a far more complete player now than when he was putting up more points. He's lost a step physically for sure but he's a much smarter player than he was before.

I'll never understand how giving up 10 points in 7 games is shutting a player down.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I'll never understand how giving up 10 points in 7 games is shutting a player down.
Well, he had only 1 point in the last two games, so technically he can be right if you ignore the fact that in the 4 games before he scored 9 points. :sarcasm:

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Well, he had only 1 point in the last two games, so technically he can be right if you ignore the fact that in the 4 games before he scored 9 points. :sarcasm:

1 point over a 2 game sample size is being shutdown? Not to mention he had a goal stolen from him in Game 7 because NFL officiating is an embarrassment.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
Don cherry has said it best currently.

At the same time. Give credit to Detroit for finding a way to contain him and limit his playing ability

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He's seemed off, and then in that last powerplay at the end of the period, he took that pass in the slot. He had a player on him, but he wasn't being tackled or anything, and he tried the spin and shoot, and there was no pepper on it. That clinched it for me...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That was the best game Stamkos has played in a while. We have plenty of scoring when he doesn't score. We just can't have him constantly handing the puck away.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Still nothing from Stamkos.
The Lightning could be in trouble against Carey Price if Stamkos doesn't wake up

451179950.0.jpg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos had a pretty good game tonight. A couple of our best chances came from him. Just a few inches off...

The third period tonight was the first time in months that his line was the one I instinctively wanted to see on the ice in offensive opportunities.

Good game for Stammer.

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015
Huh? Is this the HF equivale of a "great captain"? If you win you're great and if not, you're a horrible C? even though none of us has a single clue what a great captain even means nor do we have a clue how to rate them but do anyways? And by none I mean every single poster on these forums... Just to make it clear I'm not singling anyone out.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
Huh? Is this the HF equivale of a "great captain"? If you win you're great and if not, you're a horrible C? even though none of us has a single clue what a great captain even means nor do we have a clue how to rate them but do anyways? And by none I mean every single poster on these forums... Just to make it clear I'm not singling anyone out.

Most fans who have a clue know what makes a great Captain, I guess you dont.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: