Why does Steven Stamkos struggle in the playoffs?

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
A lot of the all star players from the regular season are shut down in the play offs. It's called facing the other teams top defensive pair.

Johnson get's more room to play that is why he is out scoring Stammer.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
A lot of the all star players from the regular season are shut down in the play offs. It's called facing the other teams top defensive pair.

you are clearly not watching the games. Johnson is the top priority for the Red Wings - has been since the first time we played them.

Another awful game by Stamkos - even counting the assist.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Can't believe he choked on that golden opportunity right in front of the net on the PP. Could've sworn that was JT Brown out there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, he showed up long enough to have a nice heads-up assist, and then went brain dead again. I have no explanation for that penalty he took on Mrazek.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's almost a different game in the playoffs. Less space and time, and tighter defenses. I guess it's something that has to be learned for some players, and some players are perhaps naturals at upping their pace or find space, whatever it is.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
3rd least TOI among Lightning forwards tonight (13:38). Sure, partly because we only had 2 PP chances (compared to Detroit's 7 PPs, cough) but he's clearly not his usual (read: pre-2015) self. I thought he had a strong 1st period but after that he was pretty silent and shined with two penalties.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is he injured?

Nope.

Part of his ice time is because we had 7 penalties and he doesn't kill them. He was also in the box on an off-setting minor that took him off the PP. So his icetime is a little misleading.

Not to mention the fact that Tyler Johnson has been our #1C for half the year and the only guy outside of Tampa Bay who realizes that is Mike Babcock.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well, he showed up long enough to have a nice heads-up assist, and then went brain dead again. I have no explanation for that penalty he took on Mrazek.

Especially since it was exactly like the one Paquette took. Would have thought everyone would be on notice after that.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Heatley would disappear in the same way in the playoffs. They both are players who sneak into dead spot of the ice, scoring opportunistic goals. In the playoffs and tighter checking, there are no dead spots.

Playoffs:
Heatley : 77 games = 16 goals
Stamkos: 28 games =8 goals

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Heatley would disappear in the same way in the playoffs. They both are players who sneak into dead spot of the ice, scoring opportunistic goals. In the playoffs and tighter checking, there are no dead spots.

Playoffs:

At least prior, Stamkos had more than that to his game. He's perfectly capable of scoring dirty goals - just doesn't have the heart to do it anymore.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I'm starting to think pure snipers like ovi, stamkos just can't get through as easily in the playoffs compared to those who are quick and shifty. By no means is Ovechkin having a bad playoff series but he was just so much more effective in the playoffs when he had more lateral movement and explosiveness. I think guys who could create space on their own are more likely to succeed compared to those who rely on shots/linemates in the playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

What series are you watching?

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

Playoffs:

Johnson: 10 games = 7 goals.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Babcock is game planning against stammer because that's what great coaches do. I think OV struggled vs Detroit scoring as well.
It doesn't help that stammer is missing open nets either but Tyler Johnson is stepping up big time.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Babcock is game planning against stammer because that's what great coaches do. I think OV struggled vs Detroit scoring as well.
It doesn't help that stammer is missing open nets either but Tyler Johnson is stepping up big time.

No, he's not. Detroit knows the TKO line is our #1 line and prefers to expend energy trying to stop them. I'm pretty sure Glendening has been seeing a lot of time against the TKO line specifically to slow down Johnson. Cooper juggled lines a bit in game 6 and Kucherov had a few shifts with Stamkos, desperate attempt to get him going. Didn't help, no linemates have been helping him. He's become a black hole.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Again, are people saying this stuff even watching the series?

Tyler Johnson is stepping up WHILE taking on the best matchups, go ask Detroit fans if they even care about matchups against Steven Stamkos :laugh:
Babcock is throwing everything against Johnson right now.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
No, he's not. Detroit knows the TKO line is our #1 line and prefers to expend energy trying to stop them. I'm pretty sure Glendening has been seeing a lot of time against the TKO line specifically to slow down Johnson. Cooper juggled lines a bit in game 6 and Kucherov had a few shifts with Stamkos, desperate attempt to get him going. Didn't help, no linemates have been helping him. He's become a black hole.

Maybe not anymore, but if you think Babcock didn't game plan for stammer, especially his one timer on the PP when they found out they were playing Tampa I'd say you're crazy.

I agree with you now that he's trying to find a way to stop TKO line bcause their speed and skill is causing big problems for Detroit.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe not anymore, but if you think Babcock didn't game plan for stammer, especially his one timer on the PP when they found out they were playing Tampa I'd say you're crazy.

I agree with you now that he's trying to find a way to stop TKO line bcause their speed and skill is causing big problems for Detroit.

That's a pretty good idea, if you know, his one-timer or the TB PP was actually relevant this year.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Once again - fans of neutral teams not watching the games are telling us what's really going on, just like all season.

"Oh, Stamkos is taking the hardest match ups." Clearly false. "Stamkos does most of his damage on the PP." Not true - has never been true (or at least not since his second season). He had like 12 PP goals this season out of his 43, which is pretty much in line with what he scores every year. "Stamkos is clearly injured." He's clearly not.

He's bad. None of those explain why he can't bury a puck from three feet out and the goaltender dead to rights. Something is severely wrong with his brain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad