Why does Kessel have the same rating as Malkin??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Many players have been labeled generational talents in the past and have not reached their projected potential. This ranking is viewed as potential, and malkin does have the ability to be considered as a generational talent. Many consider malkin to be that good. As some russian journalist said: 'If malkin were canadian, people wouldn't even be talking about crosby....'

Malkin deserves to be considered in the same breath as crosby and AO who are both considered generational talents.

Malkin deserves nothing until he comes to North America and has a rookie season like Crosby and Ovechkin had.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Your right becasue higher picks are always better than lower ones. Thats why

Lawton>Yzerman

Do you think four teams would have passed on Crosby if he were in the 06 draft? If anything, Kessel is the Lawton of his generation. His stock has been falling six months before he was even drafted! If you think Kessel has a higher offensive upside than Crosby, you need to take your golden goggles off...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Let's just say it.

Who's better right now

Crosby > Malkin > Kessel

Who potentially has the best future

Crosby > Malkin > Kessel

Who has more pro expierence

Malkin > Crosby > Kessel

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal

Although malkin has played in a world championships featuring top nhl stars (during the lockout) and the olympics ( a best-on-best tournament).

As someone mentioned before, no GM in the entire league would take kessel over malkin if they were in the same draft year. Malkin is clearly the superior player and was considered the best player in the world not playing in the NHL.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Really? Hockey's Future's critera for what constitutes a "generational talent"

10 - Generational talent -- a player for the ages, one who can do things with a puck that no other player would even contemplate doing. Very, very few players will be deserving of this rating, probably one per decade. Think Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr, maybe Sidney Crosby, but we'll see.

To give a player like Malkin a 10 (which some want to do) you are suggesting he is a generational talent, i.e. deserving to be mentioned in the same breath as a Gretzky or Orr.

................ which is why I would qualify it with:

B - Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 90 percent for depth chart purposes, which indicates slightly less certainty about a player’s future performance.

C - May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings - has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.

http://hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections.php

..... maybe even 'D.' But his potential is equivilent to a Crosby or Ovechkin. But perhaps a step below as likely to achieve it as those two. Not much though.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Do you think four teams would have passed on Crosby if he were in the 06 draft? If anything, Kessel is the Lawton of his generation. His stock has been falling six months before he was even drafted! If you think Kessel has a higher offensive upside than Crosby, you need to take your golden goggles off...

Wrong way. I am saying that four teams passed on Kessel. And it does not mean that those four are going to be better by draft position.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Malkin and Kessel have one thing in common, they have both been completely shut down by canadian defenders in international competition. Defenders not of NHL elite quality.

I think Malkin has proven, right now, that he is a better player than Kessel. Kessel is a one-trick-pony, he just happens to be amazing at the one trick. Malkin is a very similar player to mario, not dazzling at one thing, but good at everything. IMO you give the choice between either, and I'll take Malkin every time. Players like Kessel score goals. Players like Malkin win games. There's a big difference. Kessel's raw tools are intimidating to say the least. but there were 4 teams out there who saw something in kessel that told them to stay away. If malkin was drafted this year, he would be outright #1 by a mile. Kessel has glaring faults, selfish player, doesn't pass enough, can be shut down by big, mobile defenders.

No one can say where they'll be in ten years, but if in ten years he consensus is that Kessel is the better player, I will cut off and eat my left hand. Hold me to it.

Randall Graves*

Malkin and Kessel both have the potential to be superstars in the NHL, I don't see why comparing the two is such an insult to Malkin.

Perhaps Kessel is less likely to maximize his full potential due to possible attitude problems, but I'd say their ceilings are similar. I see Malkin and Kessel as future stars, but not in the class of Crosby or Ovechkin.

Kessel is 18 and just played his freshman year in college, Malkin is 20 and just finished his 3rd year pro. Malkin is much further along in his development, of course he's going to look better today.
No way.

First Malkin has a tremendous all around game, Kessel is a one way puck hog. Kessel has outstanding speed and finishing ability but he's not going to be looked at like a franchise player. He'll at best, be a second tier star IE: Not a 1A franchise player ALA a Crosby/Phanuef/Malkin.

and competition wise Russia >>>> NCAA, and Malkin has dominated Russia.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Malkin and Kessel have one thing in common, they have both been completely shut down by canadian defenders in international competition. Defenders not of NHL elite quality.

I think Malkin has proven, right now, that he is a better player than Kessel. Kessel is a one-trick-pony, he just happens to be amazing at the one trick. Malkin is a very similar player to mario, not dazzling at one thing, but good at everything. IMO you give the choice between either, and I'll take Malkin every time. Players like Kessel score goals. Players like Malkin win games. There's a big difference. Kessel's raw tools are intimidating to say the least. but there were 4 teams out there who saw something in kessel that told them to stay away. If malkin was drafted this year, he would be outright #1 by a mile. Kessel has glaring faults, selfish player, doesn't pass enough, can be shut down by big, mobile defenders.

No one can say where they'll be in ten years, but if in ten years he consensus is that Kessel is the better player, I will cut off and eat my left hand. Hold me to it.

Although that does not say much since AO was shut down as well in the 2005 WJC.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site

Yes and how many people were willing to the same with Daigle and Kariya or even Koivu.

And you have never seen Kessel play. So your assumptions carry little weight. Kessel was so shut down in the u18 tourney by the big strong canadian D men wasn't he.

KariyaIsGod*

My quotes:

'No it's not, nobody is expecting him to reach lemieux's level. The reason people here are comparing him to lemieux is because malkin's offensive game looks very similar to mario's (ie: same skating style, long reach, soft hands......). I don't expect malkin to average 2pts/game throughout his career.'

'As for his defensive game, he is by far better than both AO and Crosby and is a threat on the penalty kill. '

'Furthermore, his defensive game is what many scouts are also raving about.'

Now where did i compare his defensive game to bob gainey?? And where did i say that he would score 2 ppg?? I know you don't like me as a poster but don't blast me for no reason.....

My bad. I mis -read the two points per game thing.

As for the Bob Gainey comment, that was more or less a result of you blasting Jon Prescription for mocking the Bob Gainey comment thus implying that you agree with it.

Randall Graves*

Skater...eh.
Shot...eh.

Kessel is a little faster than Crosby...but overall skating wise they're so close it's not really a difference. Crosby is one of the best skaters in the league...Kessel may be a little better but they're both going to be top 10 skaters in the league.

I'll give you speed, but if we're talking overall skating I'll take Crosby.

Shot wise...eh...I don't know. Kessel may score more goals, but it won't be because his shot is better, it'll be because he plays the game of a goal scorer. If Crosby would be more selfish out there he could have had 50 goals easily. His shooting percentage was better than Ovechkin's last year(14% to 12.2%)...he just took about 150 less shots. If Crosby has a fault it's that he looks to pass too much.

If Crosby took the same amount of shots his shooting percentage would be lower, that's just a fact of statistics.

The more shots, the more likely a shot percentage is to decrease, just like a batting average in baseball.

KariyaIsGod*

Yes and how many people were willing to the same with Daigle and Kariya or even Koivu.

And you have never seen Kessel play. So your assumptions carry little weight. Kessel was so shut down in the u18 tourney by the big strong canadian D men wasn't he.

Didn't Kessel score 5 or 6 points against Norway then 4 agaisnt everyone else?

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office

Have been, not everytime, but it's a proven fact. Kessel has a very small repetoir, although he might be very good. Kessel has glaring faults, whereas the other 3 don't. That's fact.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
My bad. I mis -read the two points per game thing.

As for the Bob Gainey comment, that was more or less a result of you blasting Jon Prescription for mocking the Bob Gainey comment thus implying that you agree with it.

I merely said that malkin had a great defensive game as well, I never compared it to bob gainey.

espo*

First, i'll say Mario was dazzling at lot's of things,don't know where that one came from.

Second,i'm not sure Kessel is a selfish puck-hog.I can see where you might assume that if you are like me and have only seen him in the WJC'S and other international competitions but there are posters here that see him play in the NCAA a lot and say he's improved a lot in that regard and fed the puck around pretty good this year and i'll take their word for it.He certainly isn't the playmaker Malkin and Crosby are but he may have better potential then we realise in that area. He'd be a way better player if he can develop it to a higher degree that's for sure.

If he could bring it up to even 80% of how good malkin and crosby are at it then we maybe could talk about him being in the same tier as those two guys. In other ways he already is.But his overall offensive game would seem to need some work IMO.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Why is this even a thread? It's obviously a botch.

Also, again- why is Malkin already being mentioned in the same breath as Ovechkin and Crosby? Wake me up when he scores 100 pts or wins a Selke. He has his own hurdles to clear.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
No way.

First Malkin has a tremendous all around game, Kessel is a one way puck hog. Kessel has outstanding speed and finishing ability but he's not going to be looked at like a franchise player. He'll at best, be a second tier star IE: Not a 1A franchise player ALA a Crosby/Phanuef/Malkin.

and competition wise Russia >>>> NCAA, and Malkin has dominated Russia.

Devil's Advocate: The waiver wire is littered with Russians who have "dominated" Russia.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Why is this even a thread? It's obviously a botch.

Also, again- why is Malkin already being mentioned in the same breath as Ovechkin and Crosby? Wake me up when he scores 100 pts or wins a Selke. He has his own hurdles to clear.

Just because hes yet to play in the NHL doesnt mean hes not as good. Hes scored a lot in the russian league against men and played well in the olympics against men, plus a very good defensive game.
So I dont see why he cant be mentioned in the same breath. In the new NHL he will probably have just as good a rookie season as Sid and AO

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Devil's Advocate: The waiver wire is littered with Russians who have "dominated" Russia.

Name one please...

Perhaps you are thinking Yakubov was dominant? Well he was 3rd in team scoring on a really crappy team when he came over... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad