Why do so many of the media think the Hall-Larsson trade changed the trade market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NJ's offense hasn't gotten better with Hall and their defense is worse

NJ has seen pretty strong regressions from Palmieri and Henrique (both hit 30 goals last year) and Cammalleri (38 points in 42 games last year, 30 points in 48 games this year).

Hall has been an incredible addition. The problem is we don't have any secondary scoring right now. Zajac has had a nice season but outside of Hall and Miles Wood no one has been able to finish for NJ. Zacha has been heating up lately though, and I like what I've seen from Noesen.

Short term NJ was set back because we gave up our best defenseman on an already below-average defense and replaced him with fringe NHLers like Quincey and Lovejoy. But in a year or two everything will be fine.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Blows my mind that people still want to only view the trade as pure value in a vacuum. As a fan of a team that had beyond porous defense for a decade, trading assets from a position of strength, to address a glaring weakness, and now being in a division hunt, this trade was a damn good trade for the Oilers. And before people scream McDavid at us, our GA is vastly improved, and is a MAJOR factor in our success. If you watch Oiler games, you can see how important our improved blueline is to our success.

This

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The trade didn't change the market, it changed the media and a lot of fans perceptions of the market.

Reliable defensemen who can log heavy minutes against the best competition are rare and very valuable. Edmonton overpaid in a vacuum, but in reality scoring wingers are not worth as much as the general public thinks they are, and reliable defensemen command a premium.

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
The trade didn't change the market, it changed the media and a lot of fans perceptions of the market.

Reliable defensemen who can log heavy minutes against the best competition are rare and very valuable. Edmonton overpaid in a vacuum, but in reality scoring wingers are not worth as much as the general public thinks they are, and reliable defensemen command a premium.

Spot on analysis:handclap:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Hall has never had 30 goals and he's a winger
Hall< Johanssen

Was never a fan of Seth Jones myself so I saw the deal as questionable one for the Blue Jackets but something they had to do and look at where they are now!

Johansen > Hall > Larsson > Jones

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
It's suggesting that we are as good as we are because of Larsson.

It doesn't say that we are good ONLY because of him.

Help a bit?

:laugh::laugh: So how does trading an asset for a lesser one make it a good trade then? Because a team improves its a good trade? Is trading three first rounders for Tyler Bozak a good trade?

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
:laugh::laugh: So how does trading an asset for a lesser one make it a good trade then? If the Oilers are already good that just seems silly

because it shifts our defenseman down to where they should be playing...

It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

Exactly- well put!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oilers traded a position of strength for a position of weakness to improve their team, and it did improve them quite a bit.

It was well reported that they had shopped around the league to see who was available and what trades they could make, and Hall for Larsson was the deal that best helped the Oilers without giving up a player they thought was essential to the team or adding onto Hall.

A bunch of fans on HF who have hardly ever watched Larsson play saying it was a huge ripoff doesn't make it one.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
We'll probably never get better evidence of Larsson's value than the after effects of this trade. He is painfully missed in NJ - he's left a huge hole. He's gone on to fill a huge hole in Edmonton and the team is all of the sudden way better defensively and overall. He's one of the best two way defenseman in the game, he just plays the PK instead of the PP. He almost leads EDM defenseman in 5v5 scoring (only trails Klefbom and Sekera by 1 point) despite playing in a shut down role.

I said on day one that NJ lost the trade the evidence would suggest that is true. Hall has not made this team better offensively or overall. Larsson has made the Oilers better defensively and overall. But people still think it was a lopsided trade in favor of NJ.

I guess some people are just set in their ways - no amount of evidence will change their opinions.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Honestly I can't stress how incredible it is to me, as a human, to see how incapable other humans can be of comprehending a complex system. If it isnt A > B relationship, people get totally lost and confused. There are all kinds of moving parts in both NJ and Edmonton, and this one trade has had a small effect on both teams.

To be honest, I think the Oilers miss Taylor Hall as they have no consistent scoring outside of the top line, especially at ES where he is one of the best in the league. Their D has improved through 3 or 4 players not just one acquisition. There is plenty of evidence to explore to analyze these circumstances, but the facile argument of "Edmonton has improved therefor Edmonton won the trade" is remarkably shallow and frankly quite sad.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Unless your name is Lou Lamoriello you cannot guarantee the Leafs would or would not do anything.

I for one tend to believe the claims of a respected hockey journalist like Pierre Lebrun over random HF posters.

As for teams not making moves like that Colorado is in almost the exact same predicament with Duchene and Landeskog. Duchene is one year older with almost the exact same skill-set of Taylor Hall with term left on his reasonable contract (much like Hall). Sakic is trying to get a star defencemen for his star forward but is finding out that it is difficult. In the end I think you will see a return that is comparable to the Hall trade as Sakic will have to settle for less.

It may not end up being a one for one swap like the Hall deal but he will get defensive help and Avs fans will be underwhelmed.

Colorado is in a much bigger mess than Edmonton was. Edmonton had a 19 year-old generational talent when they made the deal. Amongst Colorado's issues is the fact their young core is not as good as they expected when drafted.
Colorado needs everything.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
because it shifts our defenseman down to where they should be playing...

It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

Again, if you think acquiring a #3 defencemen and having you're 4 and 5 guys play against less opponents is why you're in the playoffs then i think we have two different view points on hockey.

How can you say it was a good trade solely on the improvement in the standings if you're not implying Larsson in the sole reason for it

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I find it frustrating that after seeing that Hall-Larsson trade...then seeing a lesser version of it in the McCann+2nd for Gudbranson deal...the majority of folks on this site seem to still somehow hold firm to this idea that it's "overpayment".

At some point, when it's repeatedly established that big young physical Top-4 RHD go for more in trade than the consensus seems to indicate they're worth...at some point you've gotta acknowlege that maybe, just maybe...those players really are just worth more than the stupid HFBoards fancystats consensus seems to think.

I think there's a a stubbornness and refusal to acknowledge what players actually cost to acquire wrapped up in the idea so many still cling to that the Hall-Larsson trade was a "loss" for the Oilers.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I find it frustrating that after seeing that Hall-Larsson trade...then seeing a lesser version of it in the McCann+2nd for Gudbranson deal...the majority of folks on this site seem to still somehow hold firm to this idea that it's "overpayment".

At some point, when it's repeatedly established that big young physical Top-4 RHD go for more in trade than the consensus seems to indicate they're worth...at some point you've gotta acknowlege that maybe, just maybe...those players really are just worth more than the stupid HFBoards fancystats consensus seems to think.

I think there's a a stubbornness and refusal to acknowledge what players actually cost to acquire wrapped up in the idea so many still cling to that the Hall-Larsson trade was a "loss" for the Oilers.

A few months prior Hamilton-who is better than either was had for a lesser price. Maybe that's why fans are not accepting this is the norm.
I'm not even sure why Vancouver is making the moves they are at this point anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00