Why do so many of the media think the Hall-Larsson trade changed the trade market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
RYJO has not worked out in Nashville.

They were hioping for more though. Not sure he's playing like a true # C. Poile did call him that when he made the trade.

No, this is wrong. If we had to do that trade again today, I'd be comfortable trading Seth Jones and adding two 1sts to get Johansen, he leads our team in points and is easily the best center we've ever had. At his absolute worst he's on par with a lazy, broken, worn down 35 year old Arnott.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Hall > Johansen, Jones > Larsson

Just because the Oilers made a bad trade doesn't mean the market for a #3 defencemen is an elite top line forward

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Just in regards to your point on Schneider regressing, would it not be fair to say that part of the reason for his regression has been because of the loss of Larsson? So now people are understanding the value of a player like Larsson in seeing the lesser play of Schneider, and the better play of Talbot?

A trade like this one isn't usually your go-to, first option, so I certainly don't expect Nylander to be traded for less value anytime soon. But Edmonton got desperate, they failed a few times in free agency, so they pulled the trigger on this trade. I agree that it was a unique scenario and that not all teams would make a move like that, but it's interesting that you bring up Toronto as a team that definitely wouldn't make a move like that when I think they're actually a team that might consider it [at some point] because like Edmonton, they are so stacked up front with a ton of young talent, but they have major issues on the back-end.

When it comes to your first sentence, it wouldn't be fair at all to blame the loss of Larsson for Schneider's drop in performance. I haven't missed a Devils game all season, Schneider is just letting in too many bad goals. Wouldn't change anything with or without Larsson. The funny thing is though, for such a terrible year by seasons end, Cory could easily have a +.920 SVP and sub 2.50 GAA. He's been playing better lately.

This was a good deal for both teams. We still have Severson and Santini, as right handed defensman. Santini's going to be the better all around if you as me. We have tons of cap space to throw at a free agent of two this offseason

Devils just need a 1st line center to play with Hall and another top 6 RW.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Hall for Larsson was a bad trade. I think Larsson's a legit, top-4 guy but Hall was on overpayment and both these things can still be true.

As for Johansen for Jones. I always see Leaf fans (and others) bring this up in regards to acquiring a defensemen and I'm not sure why. Johansen was a 23 year old RH center with multiple years of control for a 20 year old defensemen with a bunch of control as well.

Hall for Larsson is still an overpayment, but I think Johansen still had more value regardless of how dumb the Oilers are. Wingers aren't useless or worth 0.5 of a defensemen, but this idea that the Johansen trade will make your winger bring back a solid defensemen is iffy and strange.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Hall > Johansen, Jones > Larsson

Just because the Oilers made a bad trade doesn't mean the market for a #3 defencemen is an elite top line forward

yeah it was a bad trade for sure. just check the standings. And let me know when you can get a RHS top 4D with #2 potential for a middle six player.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Toronto has too many forwards, and are weak on D. Nylander for Montour would be an extremely smart move, Leaf fans will never accept that though so no point arguing.

LOL.

What a stupid, rip-off trade that would be.

JVR for Montour would still be a bad trade.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Hall for Larsson was a bad trade. I think Larsson's a legit, top-4 guy but Hall was on overpayment and both these things can still be true.

Hall for Larsson is still an overpayment, but I think Johansen still had more value regardless of how dumb the Oilers are. Wingers aren't useless or worth 0.5 of a defensemen, but this idea that the Johansen trade will make your winger bring back a solid defensemen is iffy and strange.

Yeah it was really dumb for us. I mean we're only in a playoff spot for the first time in 10 years.

You don't think a defenseman of Larssons calibre is a big reason for that? You people are too much sometimes.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Blows my mind that people still want to only view the trade as pure value in a vacuum. As a fan of a team that had beyond porous defense for a decade, trading assets from a position of strength, to address a glaring weakness, and now being in a division hunt, this trade was a damn good trade for the Oilers. And before people scream McDavid at us, our GA is vastly improved, and is a MAJOR factor in our success. If you watch Oiler games, you can see how important our improved blueline is to our success.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
larrson hasnt been a huge part of edm's turnaround...hes helped for sure, imo hes their 4th D right now

still hall was way too much to give up

Lol, watch an Oilers game before you post something as ridiculous as this. You're credibility is taking a beating here.:laugh:

Larsson has easily been the Oilers best dman, I challenge you to name three that have been better. Better yet, just name three period. I doubt you can do that without googling the roster.

As far as paying too much for Hall, I disagree. Larsson has been everything the Oilers needed. He moves the puck out of his own end with ease. He's a great defender. He's very physical and he doesn't get himself out of position when he hits someone. He has a very cap friendly long term contract. He's fit in very well with the team. The team is greatly improved. Name another defence man Chiarelli could have traded Hall for that brings all these things.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
which team misses their former player more?

cause I can tell you the Oilers need the defense of Larsson more than the offense of Hall...

The leafs need defense more than we need offense. I'm not about to advocate for us to trade Mitch Marner for Jacob Trouba.

If I'm visiting another country and only have money from the country I came from, the value of my money doesn't all the sudden decrease. I'm not going to pay $200USD so that I can have $100CDN.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
NJ's offense hasn't gotten better with Hall and their defense is worse

Did you come to that conclusion by completely disregarding any objective stats? Because by literally every available metric, their offense has gotten better.

You can argue that their offense didn't get better by how much their defense regressed (though blaming that all on the loss of Larsson is quite an assumption) but there's literally no argument to make that their offense is worse.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
yeah it was a bad trade for sure. just check the standings. And let me know when you can get a RHS top 4D with #2 potential for a middle six player.

With all this talk about McDavid being a top two player in the game, you'd really thing that the improvement of the Oilers is due to him and not a #3 defencemen??? :laugh::laugh:

Not. A. Chance.

Fair point.

Jones >>> Larsson

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Yeah it was really dumb for us. I mean we're only in a playoff spot for the first time in 10 years.

You don't think a defenseman of Larssons calibre is a big reason for that? You people are too much sometimes.

It can be dumb and can still mean Larsson's a good defensemen, I don't think I said otherwise. Hall has more value than Larsson but Chiarelli didn't care. I personally want my general manager to be a bit more creative in finding a top-4 guy instead of dealing Taylor Hall. He wasn't and now this is where they are.

Larsson helps, you can't have enough legit top-4 NHL guys, but a healthy McDavid/RNH/Klefbom/Eberle + emergence of Benning and stability of Talbot are also huge factors. Larsson's been solid but come on, I'm a huge Oilers fan and I'll admit there's a lot more than just Adam Larsson going on. Klefbom/Sekera/Russell (lmao) all play more than Larsson anyways.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
With all this talk about McDavid being a top two player in the game, you'd really thing that the improvement of the Oilers is due to him and not a #3 defencemen??? :laugh::laugh:

Are you intentionally being thick? Do you know what bringing in Larsson does to our other defenseman? It pushes them down the depth chart.

You can't seriously tell me that we would still be in the position we are if we had Russell or Benning playing on our Top D pairing

I suggest you watch the Oilers play, or learn a little bit more about the game of hockey before you post stuff like this.

One player does not make a team, no matter how good he is.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Are you intentionally being thick? Do you know what bringing in Larsson does to our other defenseman? It pushes them down the depth chart.

You can't seriously tell me that we would still be in the position we are if we had Russell or Benning playing on our Top D pairing

I suggest you watch the Oilers play, or learn a little bit more about the game of hockey before you post stuff like this.

One player does not make a team, no matter how good he is.

One player does not make a team but your original post suggested that the trading of Hall for Larsson is the reason the Oilers are in a playoff position :laugh::laugh:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Yes, because it has to be one or the other, right? McDavid is just a blessing for you guys. Can use him as an excuse to discredit anything you want with the Oilers.

Fair point.

Jones >>> Larsson

Good lord. #3 defenseman? Jones >>> Larsson? Way to destroy your own credibility. Stick to the East, clearly you're catching Z's while games in the West are on.

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
It's getting rather annoying now. Just because one organization and GM decided to do it does not mean the (Soon to be 30) others would make a move like that. It was a rather unique situation which will rarely even come up again.

Also, the media thinks Edmonton being better and New Jersey being worse is case closed. It worked! Well no. What no one ever mentions is Corey Schneider's numbers have regressed terribly. He was elite last season. That is a massive reason why they are not at the level they were last season (Still, not that far off). They went from elite to below average this season in goal.

Also, Edmonton has had a healthy McDavid (Also a year older). Their overall numbers when he is not on the ice is still not impressive.

I just don't see anyone team making a move like that. Most can't afford to even think about moving a forward the age and skill-set of a Hall.

Just this week, an analyst I always respect-Pierre Lebrun claimed the Leafs might trade William Nylander for Brandon Montour. That's ridiculous. I guarantee the Leafs would never do that.

Unless your name is Lou Lamoriello you cannot guarantee the Leafs would or would not do anything.

I for one tend to believe the claims of a respected hockey journalist like Pierre Lebrun over random HF posters.

As for teams not making moves like that Colorado is in almost the exact same predicament with Duchene and Landeskog. Duchene is one year older with almost the exact same skill-set of Taylor Hall with term left on his reasonable contract (much like Hall). Sakic is trying to get a star defencemen for his star forward but is finding out that it is difficult. In the end I think you will see a return that is comparable to the Hall trade as Sakic will have to settle for less.

It may not end up being a one for one swap like the Hall deal but he will get defensive help and Avs fans will be underwhelmed.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
It can be dumb and can still mean Larsson's a good defensemen, I don't think I said otherwise. Hall has more value than Larsson but Chiarelli didn't care. I personally want my general manager to be a bit more creative in finding a top-4 guy instead of dealing Taylor Hall. He wasn't and now this is where they are.

Larsson helps, you can't have enough legit top-4 NHL guys, but a healthy McDavid/RNH/Klefbom/Eberle + emergence of Benning and stability of Talbot are also huge factors. Larsson's been solid but come on, I'm a huge Oilers fan and I'll admit there's a lot more than just Adam Larsson going on.

RNH and Eberle have not been a factor. Despite being healthy they are ******** the bed this year.

And obviously it's more than just Larsson. But he's a HUGE part of why benning has been so good for us. Because he doesn't have to play in a role that's higher than his ability like all the other D we've had in the past.

And don't you think Talbot and Larsson have been mutually influential on each other?

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Yes, because it has to be one or the other, right? McDavid is just a blessing for you guys. Can use him as an excuse to discredit anything you want with the Oilers.

Good lord. #3 defenseman? Jones >>> Larsson? Way to destroy your own credibility. Stick to the East, clearly you're catching Z's while games in the West are on.

The person I quoted suggested that the Larsson trade is the reason the Oilers are in a playoff position. Way to have the blinders up

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
The person I quoted suggested that the Larsson trade is the reason the Oilers are in a playoff position. Way to have the blinders up

I definitely did not say that. You need to stop putting words in my mouth. Just go back and read slowly then come back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad