Why do people dislike abdelkader so much?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Does anyone else remember that HBO Winter Classic show before the game at Michigan Stadium? There was a moment in one of those episodes where Abdelkader got in a scrap with Shane Doan and as they were skating to the box Doan chirped at him something like "You're playing with the best player in the league and you can't even score, you should be ashamed of yourself!" Low blow but god damn, we were all thinking it..

it was during the lockout shortened year. at 12:30

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
**** Abdelkader.

He ****** sucks. I already created a topic on this dude explaining why. And I’ll say it again, he should not be wearing an A.

Reactions: LazyT

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
Don't know him as a person. The contract sucks but that's on Holland, can't blame him for taking money. But as an on ice product he sucks. He missed an EN breakaway and stole Rasmussen's first NHL goal by being s crappy net front. He no longer fights so guys like mantha and Larkin have to defend themselves and in terms of the eye test he's like the anti Ericson. When I watch it seems like Ericson is on ice for every single goal against, well when Abby is on ice almost nothing happens every single time. I was watching on Sunday and found myself shocked that Abby managed to complete a pass with firing it short or long of the other player. He never seems to get punished for his crappy play either. Which is on Blash/management.

TLDR: He's bad at hockey and paid too much. However I don't blame him for the situation or judge him as a person.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
**** Abdelkader.

He ****** sucks. I already created a topic on this dude explaining why. And I’ll say it again, he should not be wearing an A.

But then it would be Bdelkder which I am fine with by the way!:nod::naughty::laugh:

He has played so poorly that the team strips him of all A's!

Reactions: Electric Eric

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I dont hate abby. I think he is a great person and teammate. He is an average player who belongs on the 3rd or 4th line.

It is not his fault Ken holland is a moron and signed him for too much money for too long. Same with helm, nielson and ericson.

We have too many 3rd and 4th line forwards making too much money as well as 3rd line/7th defenseman.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Abdelkader looks like he is stick handling a grenade ... Hits like he's got a dislocated shoulder and skates like he just finished the Boston Marathon. Feel bad for him as a person but as a player... He would be lucky to find a job in the AHL if his name was John Doe and no one knew him.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Tonights game soured me on Abby. I've been a fanboy of his, defended his play and thats over now.
The guy lost his heart. I see it in interviews and I see it on the ice, he checked out and does not care anymore.
This guy has a letter? What a joke.
Buying him out costs to much, but I hope we can bribe Seattle to take him.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Look on the bright side, there's only 4 more years at $4.25 million with no reduction in salary as the contract gets closer to term!!

:help:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Is it him as a player you dislike or the 4.25M cap hit? If he had a 3M cap hit would he not receive as much hate as he does on these boards. Would the wings have a hard time trying to find a fair offer for him from any other team?
I watched him play in college, and his early NHL looks made me believe that he'd be equally as dominant in the big leagues. How quickly and far he's fallen is just depressing. Went from being one of my favorite players to someone I wish wore a different jersey. I don't bash him though, but there's 'people' on here that just like to talk trash non-stop and Abby's level of play certainly does not shield him from criticism.

With his current contract he's immovable unless KH retains salary and he doesn't like doing that.

Oct 18, 2006
He's really bad. His contract is a disgrace, as everyone but Holland knew it would be the day it was announced.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He exemplifies a lot of problems with this organization in the 2010's. He was given term that should only be reserved to franchise players, a big fat raise as a byproduct of playing with the a hall of famer or two, and his toolset was way overvalued. Most of all, he just personifies this complacent country club atmosphere that's come to embody the organization's short comings this decade and why new management is so crucial.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I have to think the A on his sweater is the only thing keeping him from watching some games from the press box.

I seriously can't come up with any other plausible explanation. If he were a 4th liner playing on an ELC, he'd be sent down to play minutes in the AHL and hopefully develop his game.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
He really sucks and as lazlo said, only the Assistant captain status keeps him from being scrachted

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
He really sucks and as lazlo said, only the Assistant captain status keeps him from being scrachted
He needs to be scratched to send a message. It’s a joke. Ya maybe he’s a good locker room guy but my god he needs to play better. He can’t move, he can’t handle a puck, he can’t think, he can’t kill penalties, he can’t do anything. A message has to be sent and what a perfect time to do it. Call up Ehn and if Vanek can’t go play Wit, at least he works hard and plays hard

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00