Why do our coaches throw our players under the bus?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It's pretty stupid to rip a player to the media. Justified or not the coach knows the media will always talk about the negative... way to **** with a young players confidence bud. First Kadri, now rielly. I don't get it... I like carlye's coaching I just don't get this... I hated Wilson for it and I hate that Carlyle does it. I don't get how this could be a positive in anyway... some things should stick between a player and a coach.

Mr Scarface*

Positive way it is. Carlyle wins Stanley Cups and throws people everywhere. He's the ultimate hard ass.

mikebel111*

When did randy throw rielly under the bus? I saw the interview and he didnt do anything like that. He said that rielly is just experiencing life in NHL. He also said he is making errors but also said he is not the only ones making same errors. Just motivation by him. Nothing bad

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Because sometimes a face to face conversation isn't enough to light a fire under a player's ass.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
If it's continuous, it's throwing under the bus. If it's just a couple comments once it's probably more trying to light a fire under them to improve them, rather than trying to degrade them.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I wish people on this forum would stop acting like Carlyle is the only coach who calls out players, keeps trying things that don't work and is overall stubborn.

Don't even get me started on the Wing fans who cry about Babcock not giving Tatar and Nyquist opportunities while Cleary and Samuelsson continually draw into the line-up.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Why Are leaf fans so wieny? That's a more appropriate thread, does everyone expect Carlyle to kiss his ass or something? He's a coach not his mother

mikebel111*

Why Are leaf fans so wieny? That's a more appropriate thread, does everyone expect Carlyle to kiss his ass or something? He's a coach not his mother

Plus he wasnt even throwing rielly under the bus

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
OP and many others don't seem to understand how media scrums work. RC doesn't come out and say "come one come all!!! gather round! Let me tell you about this terribad Rielly kid!"

The coach answers questions asked by the media; whom them decide what to publish.

When a reporter asks a question about a player A; and the coach answers that question. Why is it "throwing him under the bus".

Penalty Kill Icing*

OP clearly doesn't know what throwing under the bus is.

Go lookup Therrien blaming his best defenseman (who also won a Norris) and singling him out for the loss when the forwards got 1 goal in the game. That is throwing under the bus.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Everything I've heard from Carlyle thus far tells me he rarely talks about a player in a negative light, and generally talks about the teams' deficiencies as a whole, rather than individuals. So to summarize, I must have missed the memo..

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is why the "everyone gets a trophy" philosophy is such a bad idea.

Hopefully our professional hockey players are not as thin skinned as some of our fan base.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes, how dare a coach throw a player under the bus (he didn't) like he did to Kadri.

I mean, Kadri is terrible because of it! :sarcasm:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Should Carlyle cuddle and blow kisses to the players instead? Yeah, I'm sure that would work out well too!

I don't think Carlyle threw anybody under the bus at any point since being here.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why do our coaches throw our players under the bus?

Maybe, to take the thunder away from the fans and media. This fan base throw our players under the bus far more than the coaches do!!!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kadri was thrown under the bus several times. Rielly was not. He responded to a question and never once attacked Rielly but stated that he needs to be better and as well stated so do others.

Rielly will be fine, he himself knows that he needs to be better and he will. There is no story here.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Anyone see what the habs are doing with subban and how they released a video of the coach ripping him in the video room? Yeah. It could be a lot worse for Reilly

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kadri was thrown under the bus several times. Rielly was not. He responded to a question and never once attacked Rielly but stated that he needs to be better and as well stated so do others.

Rielly will be fine, he himself knows that he needs to be better and he will. There is no story here.

When was Kadri ever thrown under the bus by Carlyle?

The worst Kadri had to endure was getting benched here and there for sucking. A lot of players go through it. Did we miss when Kadri credited Carlyle for his success last season when he finally broke out?

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
One of the main things I like about Carlyle is that he doesn't throw our players under the bus, or talk bad about them publicly.

Ron Wilson couldn't go a week without doing that.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Yah Carlyle was horrible in Anaheim too. I mean he ruined players like Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan and Fowler. I doubt they will ever do much and most certainly will not win a cup :sarcasm:

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Why do posters think anything that isn't french kissing a player's behind is throwing them under the bus? Grow a spine people, you're like Senators fans complaining that hockey night in canada has a pro-leaf bias.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
There's no issues with Carlyle's approach to Rielly's performance.

Morgan is one of the most mature and understanding rookies in the game today. He understands what Randy is trying to accomplish, and he's not blind to his mistakes.

Morgan comes in every practice and tries to implement new things that he's learning on a daily basis.

Nobody said the learning curve was going to be easy for Morgan, and this past few days, and tonight will forever be in the back of his head.

It's another learning experience for Morgan, and something for him to reflect on.

If he wants to play constant minutes in this league, starting this year, he'll have to be better.

If he wants to stay in this league, let alone be a star that many believe he can be, he'll have to be pushed to his limits and Randy's trying to accomplish that.

No matter how many players butt heads with Randy and believe at the time they are being singled out, and being treated a bit too harshly, they come out of the situation and realize that they are truly a better player for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad