Why Do NHL Teams Keep Employing Brian Elliott?

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Mase is a good dude and a great goalie when on his game.
As crazy as it sounds, since my team is in same division, would have liked to see Steve remain in Philly.
Rejuvenated his career and from what I saw Philly fans loved him.

Love Bob, but always had a soft spot for Mase even though it didn’t work out here.

Mason >>>>>>>>>> other Flyers goalies

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
They got 3 good seasons out of Mason. Biron was good to a degree. I remember Biron stole that 2008 series against Montreal.
Yeah Mason was good, but his series against Washington was embarrassing. We missed him against the Rangers in 14 though.

Biron/Niittymaki tandem had it's moments, but Biron was inconsistent and getting old, and Nitty's hips were made of rice paper most of his career, aside from that season in Tampa that got him the bloated contract with San Jose. Boucher has his moments, Roussel had his moments in the early 90's etc. Key words being "Had their moments".

The thing about Flyers goaltending is it's not quite "goalie graveyard" bad like Vancouver was before Luongo, more just "Passable" year in year out. The last tandem that was consistent are both now Metro GM's. Let that sink in.

I'm drooling over the idea that we have not one good prospect goalie, but 3 really good one's and two who already have NHL experience. One of them has to work...right??

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I more wonder why no matter what year it is that the Flyers always seem to have questionable goaltending regardless of how good the team is otherwise. They’ve really not had an elite goalie in my time of watching hockey which goes all the way back to 1994
Pete Peeters was good, I think.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Elliott is my least favourite Sens goalie of all time. Just mediocre all around

I still like him a lot more than Lehner and Emery. He was a gentleman unlike those two. And Emery's lows were way worse than Elliott's lows. Lehner's lows weren't as bad, but Lehner wasn't a good goalie overall. Can't believe I was so high on Lehner before. To think I wanted Anderson traded early on during the lockout so Lehner and Bishop would play.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I am still puzzled by what Calgary was doing with him last season. That franchise has made some idiotic goalie decisions lately and committing to Elliot as a starter might have been the peak of them.
The Flyers though I might kinda understand. He is just a placeholder to them and at least they avoided f***ing themselves by extending Mason. You win some, you lose some.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I more wonder why no matter what year it is that the Flyers always seem to have questionable goaltending regardless of how good the team is otherwise. They’ve really not had an elite goalie in my time of watching hockey which goes all the way back to 1994
Sergei Bobrovski had quite good stats back in 2010-11.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Wasn't Hextall in the 90s or was he in the 80s?
Both. I believe. He was good but volatile. If I remember correctly (I was prett young, ahhh) he was not very consistent. But I’m sure there are people here who can better inform. I remember he had a really stand-up style. Lots of rebounds. Flopped. But was usually effective. And chippy.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Both. I believe. He was good but volatile. If I remember correctly (I was prett young, ahhh) he was not very consistent. But I’m sure there are people here who can better inform. I remember he had a really stand-up style. Lots of rebounds. Flopped. But was usually effective. And chippy.

Yup....late 80’s and 90’s.

Chippy isn’t the word I’d use.

Bat shit crazy comes to mind......

........and loved every minute of it.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I've asked the same thing before OP. I think Elliott is a great 1B/backup goalie, but I would not rely on him at all as a true #1 and I would definitely not start him in the playoffs unless the team needs a shakeup.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don’t get it. Elliott is a great 1B goalie but given he’s had one good playoff run over the past decade and 4-5 bad runs I don’t know why any coach would start him in a playoff game.

Yup, if Elliot is your backup you're in decent shape

Asking him to be a starter and a playoff starter? You're gonna have a bad time

Reactions: Morinisbear

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why Do NHL Teams Keep Employing Brian Elliott?

Have you seen the rest of our goalies? Neuvirth can't fart without pulling a muscle, Mrazek's a concussion risk every time he's on the ice from the way he flops around, the coaches clearly don't trust Lyon, Stolarz was injured all year, and Dustin Tokarski.

Elliott is genuinely the best goalie we can run out there right now. I cannot wait to turn the reins over to Carter Hart, once he gets his feet wet in the AHL.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Eh an elite centre sure can't, but he can influence the game strong. A good defender absolutely can. When Anderson was struggling in rounds 1 and 2, Karlsson singlehandedly stole the series.
I think the skaters have to work hand in hand in order to steal games. Goalies don't need anyone's help to steal games.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Probably because NHL teams tend to over value experience at the position. I don't even think he's that bad of a goalie, just a mentally fragile one not on par with the other goalies in the playoffs. He too often crumbles after one goal against, even if it wasn't a savable one. Whiffs on way too many pucks to be truly considered a quality #1 goalie.

The thing is as a whole Elliott's only good goalie fundamental is positioning. He has poor rebound control, poor puck handling, he isn't fast, isn't super smart, isn't the most athletic. He isn't a big guy either. St. Louis system did him wonders allowing him to see relatively slower shots than he's facing without their system and that's helped him tremendously. Even though Allen has terrible positioning and allows a ton of bad goals, it's no coincidence Allen faces significantly lower high danger and quality chances than Elliott just because Allen can control the game back when both played for the Blues. Sure now and then Elliott can make an excellent pass, an excellent acrobatic save, etc. But don't count on it.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Elliott is our starter and deserves to be. Neuvirth is made of glass, and Mrazek? Well inconsistent isn't the right word. More like schizophrenic. Elliott is another band-aid in a long line of band-aids, and hopefully a bridge to Carter Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad