Why Do NHL Teams Keep Employing Brian Elliott?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I mean beyond those two miraculous seasons he had in his 20s, which if anyone watched would know it was due to St. Louis' system and using him as a platoon goalie.

Elliott has more years where his playoff Sv% is below 0.900 than he does above and at 32, he isn't getting any younger or better. Why do teams keep getting fooled by this guy?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
In the playoffs with the Blues, on his last year/playoffs there, he was awesome. He then went with the Flames... not so great.... who is he with now?

Reactions: izzy

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don’t get it. Elliott is a great 1B goalie but given he’s had one good playoff run over the past decade and 4-5 bad runs I don’t know why any coach would start him in a playoff game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don’t get it. Elliott is a great 1B goalie but given he’s had one good playoff run over the past decade and 4-5 bad runs I don’t know why any coach would start him in a playoff game.
well he's philadelphia most experience goalie and its not like any other goalie on that team is outplaying him so why not give him the starts?

Reactions: AnimalFear

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I more wonder why no matter what year it is that the Flyers always seem to have questionable goaltending regardless of how good the team is otherwise. They’ve really not had an elite goalie in my time of watching hockey which goes all the way back to 1994

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Good goalie but Flyers gotta rattle Murray before Pens rattle Elliott

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
The OP is mad because Crosby now has 7 more points than his favorite player...

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The Flyers love him because hes a "nice guy". They put way to much emphasis on personal character to the point where it over shadows poor on ice performances.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The OP is mad because Crosby now has 7 more points than his favorite player...

And if you add them to his regular season total he's still 12 back of the game's best player.

If you want to derail this thread and continue to show how salty you are that someone has legitimately surpassed Crosby, you can do that. However, it's a Brian Elliott thread. You're the only one hurting yourself if you keep on down this path.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The pens had him beat a ton in game two and choked on their shots... the Flyers are going to stick with him next game because of that g2 but they ought to give a look to anyone else if he lays another egg...

I mean Id rather they just play him all series, but I understand why flyers fans want any other option

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
And if you add them to his regular season total he's still 12 back of the game's best player.

If you want to derail this thread and continue to show how salty you are that someone has legitimately surpassed Crosby, you can do that. However, it's a Brian Elliott thread. You're the only one hurting yourself if you keep on down this path.

If Elliott gets 3 shutouts in a row, he will recieved a tremendous amount of praise. It’s not his fault if he’s playing against one of the best forward group in the league...

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I mean beyond those two miraculous seasons he had in his 20s, which if anyone watched would know it was due to St. Louis' system and using him as a platoon goalie.

Elliott has more years where his playoff Sv% is below 0.900 than he does above and at 32, he isn't getting any younger or better. Why do teams keep getting fooled by this guy?

Because the f***ing alternatives are Ben Scrivens and J.Bernier.

JagerPuck

Jun 6, 2008
NJ
After Elliot allowed that Leighton-like goal in what was one of the last games of the year, I wept for this playoff run.
Nightmares of Michael Leighton looking clueless as Pat Kane skated around him with his hands raised, celebrating the Cup clinching goal ran through my head.
Just like Mason before him. The guy missed 25 games and gets the starting nod just a handful of games before the playoffs start. Elliot is as streaky as any goalie I've seen play for the Flyers. There is a reason he was able to be signed cheap.

Cannot wait until Carter Hart gets to the Flyers.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Because there are maybe 20-25 goalies in the world who are actually better than him. Good teams shouldn't try to get away with using him as their #1 but there are a lot worse guys out there.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My yearly post that usually gets me ripped by his current team only for his former team to finally nod their heads:

elite 40 game goaltender. Turns into a beer league putz right after. You can set your clock to that shit.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I more wonder why no matter what year it is that the Flyers always seem to have questionable goaltending regardless of how good the team is otherwise. They’ve really not had an elite goalie in my time of watching hockey which goes all the way back to 1994

Flyers have drafted several G's over the past few seasons. Stolarz in 2012, Sandstrom in 2015, Hart in 2016, and signed Lyon out of Yale in 2016.

So, it's a position that they are adding depth and trying to develop their own guy. Key for them is patience and not rushing a guy. I think Hart is their guy, but he'll need time to develop in the AHL. They just signed Sandstrom, so wonder how they deploy their goalies in the AHL next season. Expect Stolarz to be in the NHL next season as the backup. Lyon, no clue where he ends up.

Elliott is a stop gap goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad