Why Do NHL Teams Keep Employing Brian Elliott?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Flyers have drafted several G's over the past few seasons. Stolarz in 2012, Sandstrom in 2015, Hart in 2016, and signed Lyon out of Yale in 2016.

So, it's a position that they are adding depth and trying to develop their own guy. Key for them is patience and not rushing a guy. I think Hart is their guy, but he'll need time to develop in the AHL. They just signed Sandstrom, so wonder how they deploy their goalies in the AHL next season. Expect Stolarz to be in the NHL next season as the backup. Lyon, no clue where he ends up.

Elliott is a stop gap goalie.

What will happen to Neuvirth and Mrazek, then?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Flyers had a bridge to gap and they're paying him less than what Mason received. Not an ideal situation, but the hand they felt they were dealt

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Fix your lines first. Some of those players out there shouldn't even be on the ice and yeah, Lehtera is one of them and I can guarantee some of you can name a few others. You gave the Pens SEVEN PP and you don't expect the Defending Stanley Cup Champions, who are definitely in Dynasty Mode, to capitalize? Hell, you have SIX PP and couldn't capitalize on at least one?

Brian Elliott may be a normal or mediocre goalie but he's the -least- of your problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: IComeInPeace

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Probably because NHL teams tend to over value experience at the position. I don't even think he's that bad of a goalie, just a mentally fragile one not on par with the other goalies in the playoffs. He too often crumbles after one goal against, even if it wasn't a savable one. Whiffs on way too many pucks to be truly considered a quality #1 goalie.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
I mean beyond those two miraculous seasons he had in his 20s, which if anyone watched would know it was due to St. Louis' system and using him as a platoon goalie.

Elliott has more years where his playoff Sv% is below 0.900 than he does above and at 32, he isn't getting any younger or better. Why do teams keep getting fooled by this guy?
Because teams think he belongs in the NHL. Why else would they sign him?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Ironic. Those two were traded for each other.

Haha sad isn't it. I guess the bottom line is that, at the end of the day the goalie is the most important piece. The trade boards are so obsessed with #1c #1d, but then you have goalies behind them that just can't stop a beach ball.

Elliott isn't great, but top 10 goalies, giguere, roy, hasek, price, rask, lundqvist, etc don't grow on trees.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Haha sad isn't it. I guess the bottom line is that, at the end of the day the goalie is the most important piece. The trade boards are so obsessed with #1c #1d, but then you have goalies behind them that just can't stop a beach ball.

Elliott isn't great, but top 10 goalies, giguere, roy, hasek, price, rask, lundqvist, etc don't grow on trees.
True that. Goalies are criminally underrated on this site. A good goalie can steal you a series, a good centre and defender can't.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I say this every time an Elliott thread comes up. He had a couple good seasons playing on St. Louis, but anytime he's on a team thats less than spectacular at defence he sucks. First it was Ottawa, then Colorado, and now these last couple years in Calgary and Philadelphia. I'm not sure when teams will ever learn

Reactions: Morinisbear

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I say this every time an Elliott thread comes up. He had a couple good seasons playing on St. Louis, but anytime he's on a team thats less than spectacular at defence he sucks. First it was Ottawa, then Colorado, and now these last couple years in Calgary and Philadelphia. I'm not sure when teams will ever learn

Ottawa and Colorado had bad defenses and he was outright awful and below average at best. Philadelphia and Calgary's defense have actually been at worst better league average the last two seasons. He's just not a good goalie.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
True that. Goalies are criminally underrated on this site. A good goalie can steal you a series, a good centre and defender can't.

Eh an elite centre sure can't, but he can influence the game strong. A good defender absolutely can. When Anderson was struggling in rounds 1 and 2, Karlsson singlehandedly stole the series.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I more wonder why no matter what year it is that the Flyers always seem to have questionable goaltending regardless of how good the team is otherwise. They’ve really not had an elite goalie in my time of watching hockey which goes all the way back to 1994
Oh, they had one. They just traded him for draft picks.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Known commodity who can get hot at times. Better backup that starter IMO.

Which backups are better? Not a whole lot I would imagine. It’s not as easy as saying “omg this guy sucks why is he employed?!?!?” when you think about the goalies behind him and his track record and GM’s usual recycling of players.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad