Why did the Sharks fire Sutter and Lombardi?

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Doug traded for Boyle who is the leading scorer among Defense. Traded Coyle for Burns. Moved POS Toskala and a guy looking at Jail time for DUI in Mark Bell for a 1st round pick which became Couture.

Drafted Hertl, Couture, Vlasic.

Just because the Sharks haven't one a cup doesn't mean Doug hasn't made good moves. Or that LA makes all the right moves.

Also if they Kings were so good at drafting why did they take Teubert over Karlson? Or Thomas Hickey over Couture, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Eller, Perron?

See you can play that game two ways.

Wow pointing to the good things has done has totally changed my mind ..............................Oh wait, no it hasn't. Lombardi has a cup. Wilson doesn't. He wins.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Doug traded for Boyle who is the leading scorer among Defense. Traded Coyle for Burns. Moved POS Toskala and a guy looking at Jail time for DUI in Mark Bell for a 1st round pick which became Couture.

Drafted Hertl, Couture, Vlasic.

Just because the Sharks haven't one a cup doesn't mean Doug hasn't made good moves. Or that LA makes all the right moves.

Also if they Kings were so good at drafting why did they take Teubert over Karlson? Or Thomas Hickey over Couture, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Eller, Perron?

See you can play that game two ways.

You're not doing it right. DW sucks. Lombardi is the best ever.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wow pointing to the good things has done has totally changed my mind ..............................Oh wait, no it hasn't. Lombardi has a cup. Wilson doesn't. He wins.

This is the kind of thinking that gets coaches like Tortorella hired over coaches like Trotz, and gets us players like Wallin, Huskins, Moen, Stuart, Burish Tyler Kennedy, etc. over useful players that we could acquire instead.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Wilson has been more consistent in his GMing where as Lombardi has been better the past 3 years. Wilson took a team that had just missed the playoffs and made the playoffs with them for 11 straight years. Just never really got that mix of luck, injuries, and easy opponents that the Kings got the past 3 years. I'd say Wilson has been the better GM in their tenures with their teams. Lombardi has made a lot of mistakes too. He has 3 albatross contracts on his team in Richards, Brown, and Quick. All 3 of these are absolutely awful.

It can be argued that if Wilson was able to pick up UFAs like Williams, Scuderi (two Kings UFAs off the top of my head), he may have won the cup, and it can also be argued that Lombardi being in LA vs Wilson being in SJ is a reason for Wilson's inability to sign UFAs.
Williams wasn't a UFA, they traded for him.

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California

Well, there we have it. Conversation is done. Dean has won. Doug has lost.

Mods, you can close the thread.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

By this logic.

Burish > Patrick Marleau

Forget about the almost 400 goals Patrick has on Burish.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Wilson has been more consistent in his GMing where as Lombardi has been better the past 3 years. Wilson took a team that had just missed the playoffs and made the playoffs with them for 11 straight years. Just never really got that mix of luck, injuries, and easy opponents that the Kings got the past 3 years.

Lol the Kings opponents havent been easy this year have they?

How many times have the Sharks played down to their opponent in the playoffs?
How many times have they been eliminated by a lower seed?

The "easy opponent" card doesnt work with the Sharks.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Wilson has been more consistent in his GMing where as Lombardi has been better the past 3 years. Wilson took a team that had just missed the playoffs and made the playoffs with them for 11 straight years. Just never really got that mix of luck, injuries, and easy opponents that the Kings got the past 3 years. I'd say Wilson has been the better GM in their tenures with their teams. Lombardi has made a lot of mistakes too. He has 3 albatross contracts on his team in Richards, Brown, and Quick. All 3 of these are absolutely awful.

It can be argued that if Wilson was able to pick up UFAs like Williams, Scuderi (two Kings UFAs off the top of my head), he may have won the cup, and it can also be argued that Lombardi being in LA vs Wilson being in SJ is a reason for Wilson's inability to sign UFAs.

Wilson can't sign UFAs because he limits himself to guys willing to take short term contracts at below market value, which is basically no one.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Dean Lombardi was fired because he pooped the bed in San Jose. He had both Nabokov and Stuart hold out during the year he was canned. Stuart was a big deal to the Sharks back then and Nabokov looked a like one of the leagues most promising goaltenders. The Sharks went from really solid playoff team to cellar team as a result. He had to be fired

Magic, Lombardi really didn't sign any big UFAs either. The ones he did sign were in the twilight of their careers.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Dean Lombardi was fired because he pooped the bed in San Jose. He had both Nabokov and Stuart hold out during the year he was canned.

Dean Lombardi wanted to sign both Nabokov and Stuart well before the start of training camp, it was the new owners that prevented him from doing so because they were more worried about saving money than winning hockey games. I think after that season they learned their lesson and just let DW handle everything when it comes to contracts.

As for Sutter, well, it took him all of 1 season to find a new job and find his way to a Stanley Cup Final. The Sharks replaced him with Ron Wilson, quite possibly the worst head coach in franchise history.

Last edited:

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sutter and Lombardi have shown the ability to evolve and overcome their mistakes and obstacles. Can the same be said for McLellan/Wilson? Personally I don't think so. I don't see our staff getting any better. I mean... Jay Woodcroft? Really?

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_25890916/purdy-sutter-lombardi-haunt-sharks

Interesting article about the insight of that 2002 team that imploded.

It sounds like both Sutter (more so) and Lombardi stepped on their dicks, but learned from it and moved on to start fresh.

I would believe that the Sharks organization continues to step on their dicks today, and I believe the team member that peeled out of the parking lot in his Porsche immediately after the game while blowing off his teammates, being a healthy scratch, has been stepping on his dick.

Sharks slogan for 2014-2015 needs to be "stop stepping on our dicks, but instead step on the opponents".

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Lol the Kings opponents havent been easy this year have they?

How many times have the Sharks played down to their opponent in the playoffs?

How many times have the Sharks played down to their opponent throughout the regular season? I've seen quite a few.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Mostly because they accomplished about as much in San Jose as the Wilson/Koala duo. Nothing.

Of course Wilson's nothing is a bit more impressive seeing as he pulled it off with fewer payroll constraints, a better starting position, and a year round tan.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Well it wasn't Tim Burke. It is just as likely that Tim Burke would still be the head of scouting regardless of Lombardi staying and that essentially means we would not draft Kopitar or Quick anyways. Probably wouldn't even have been in a situation to draft Kopitar either way.

Justin Williams was also looking to be one of the biggest bandaid boys in the league as well when he came to LA. 2 years in a row he only played 30-40 something games.

It wasn't Lombardi who drafted Quick or Kopitar either.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Quick,Kopitar,Brown all drafted by Dave Taylor. But Lombardi's staff developed all of those players.

Lombardi's best hire when he took over, Bill Ranford.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
By this logic.

Burish > Patrick Marleau

Forget about the almost 400 goals Patrick has on Burish.

Not really. Comparing a GM who assembles the entire team's roster to a role player is a terrible analogy. Try again.

You could have at least tried to name some NHL Gm's who have cups and aren't very good in your eyes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not really. Comparing a GM who assembles the entire team's roster to a role player is a terrible analogy. Try again.

You could have at least tried to name some NHL Gm's who have cups and aren't very good in your eyes.

Brian Burke, Jay Feaster, Ray Shero, Bob Gainey, and Jim Rutherford were all Cup winning GM's that just weren't all that good.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sutter's coaching style was being tuned out by the group he had and Lombardi fired him. Lombardi was fired when the team found new ownership.

Their success in LA has nothing to do with SJ. They wouldn't have had the Doughty pick here or get given Jeff Carter a few years back.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Yeah, getting Carter and Richards has a lot to do with Lombardi's connections to Philly. In the fallout of the Pronger experiment, I think Richards wound up on Deano's radar in a kinda similar way to how DW got Thornton.

Lombardi learned some lessons the hard way before LA, and for 4 years before the 1st Cup he probably benefited from the fact that most of LA didn't know it had a hockey team.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
Sutter's coaching style was being tuned out by the group he had and Lombardi fired him. Lombardi was fired when the team found new ownership.

Their success in LA has nothing to do with SJ. They wouldn't have had the Doughty pick here or get given Jeff Carter a few years back.

Ok, then it's all chance. Or luck. You can all stop watching hockey now :handclap:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Also, Lombardi is in LA, it's a much bigger market and they have a FAR easier time signing free agents than we do. Just because he won LA a cup doesn't mean he would have won SJ a cup.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
I don't but that LA attracts more free agents than SJ. I've lived both places and I'd think most Canadians would rather be around SJ. Probably most Americans too. LA is a bit crowded.

Dean did make a trade that has helped the Kings a great deal. Not many thought it was a big deal but getting Justin Williams for Patrick O'Sullivan and 2nd round pick has really worked out for them. Williams is the type of playoff performer us Sharks fans talk about when we are annoyed at Thornton and Marleau for not getting it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad