Why did the Sharks fire Sutter and Lombardi?

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Haven't seen much on this topic. Considering they are favored to win their 2nd Stanley Cup in 3 seasons...

If I remember correctly, the Sharks dumped Daryl Sutter (in 2002?) because he couldn't win the big games? Lombardi was also ousted the very next season in favor of Doug Wilson?

I hate to bring up the past in a time like this... but is seems relevant. Has anyone asked Doug Wilson about this? Has this at all been mentioned around the organization?

What are your thoughts on this?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Haven't seen much on this topic. Considering they are favored to win their 2nd Stanley Cup in 3 seasons...

If I remember correctly, the Sharks dumped Daryl Sutter (in 2002?) because he couldn't win the big games? Lombardi was also ousted the very next season in favor of Doug Wilson?

I hate to bring up the past in a time like this... but is seems relevant. Has anyone asked Doug Wilson about this? Has this at all been mentioned around the organization?

What are your thoughts on this?

It wasn't until sutter went to Calgary and was a gm then his second tenure before he became the coach he is today. He was a good coach with the sharks he's a great coach now it was that experience that led him to where he is now as others have mentioned before. As for Lombardi look at him as well and know you gain that experience to move to another team learn from mistakes. We were starting a new era that time. I believe he was fired right around after Nolan was moved. it's really hard to compare what was then what is now. Drafting development have to be part of this conversation as well. There's no guarantee if those two were still here that the sharks would necessarily have a cup.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
That is kind of my point. Where would the Sharks be right now if they still had the Sutter/Lombardi tandem?

Sutter and Lombardi have shown the ability to evolve and overcome their mistakes and obstacles. Can the same be said for McLellan/Wilson? Personally I don't think so. I don't see our staff getting any better. I mean... Jay Woodcroft? Really?

RexFeral

Registered Boozer
Aug 10, 2011
That is kind of my point. Where would the Sharks be right now if they still had the Sutter/Lombardi tandem?

Sutter and Lombardi have shown the ability to evolve and overcome their mistakes and obstacles. Can the same be said for McLellan/Wilson? Personally I don't think so. I don't see our staff getting any better. I mean... Jay Woodcroft? Really?

You're right! Let's call Tortarlelelooll and recycle somebody's dimwitted ACs and watch our team reign supreme.

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_25890916/purdy-sutter-lombardi-haunt-sharks

Interesting article about the insight of that 2002 team that imploded.

Sounds about right; that's basically what I remember.

I also think that Sutter didn't know how to handle some of the higher profile players, cause I do remember that Sutter and Teemu got into a shouting match where Sutter told Teemu to take his Ferrari back to Anaheim or something along those lines...

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

Selective memory. Do you not like Larry Robinson?

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Sharks were changing owners. They also wanted a new style of play. They said they were going to copy the Ottawa Senators model. They managed to do that, lots of regular season success, no Cup for San Jose.

Sutter style was out, Ron Wilson style in.

Dombardi didn't want Sutter gone and didn't want to be GM anymore. Also, Dombardi was a lousy GM while he was with the Sharks. Every year there were players who he would sign late, messing with the team chemistry. He managed to make probably every mistake possible as a GM while he was here.

I think the new owners wanted Marleau to be the centerpiece. I think that was probably a mistake.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
In regards to Selanne, I think Nolan didn't like Selanne. Selanne was a good player, but he disrupted the team chemistry and he couldn't hit an open net.

I think Sutter was pissed that Selanne tended to float around and not be productive while he was here. Picking up Selanne was supposed to be the final piece, but it actually destroyed that team.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I think the new owners wanted Marleau to be the centerpiece. I think that was probably a mistake.

From my perspective, that is what I remember hearing about. Sutter was hard on players like Marleau and Teemu because he thought they were too comfortable playing in small market San Jose. The organization wanted to keep Marleau and not Sutter, which I agree was probably a mistake.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Lombardi's reputation was pretty tarnished during / after the Nabokov and Stuart contract holdouts. I thought they had a pretty solid D on paper, but missing Stuart was a big setback.

Lombardi then remained in the GM "wilderness" as a Philly pro scout for 3 years. I guess LA had potential, but it was nowhere near the playoff map in 2006.

In fact, the Doughty contract holdout had eerie echoes of Stuart / Nabby, but Deano pivoted off of it into positive territory. Probably used some hard-learned lessons.

There's one positive from the Sharks' 2002-03 season that I still remember to this day. Cap Raeder coached one NHL game, between Sutter's departure and Wilson's arrival. And that game made Cap Raeder the winningest coach in NHL hockey history: one game, one win, resulting in a points percentage of 1.000.

chris39bong

I remember the fans liking Lombardi even when he was fired. He was instrumental in building a respectable team. Looking back on it, he was probably handcuffed by ownership and the scapegoat for missing the playoffs. He took the fall because of the Nabakov and Stuart holdouts which crippled the season. I blame the players more than the GM, but the Sharks had high expectations and unfortunately Lombardi got fired. Firing Lombardi was probably a bad move, but I think the organization was also very confident in Doug Wilson so they were able to make that move. I think Wilson is every bit as good a GM as Lombardi.

Sutter, on the other hand, wasn't all that great a coach in SJ. He wasn't bad either, but there were definitely complaints among a lot of fans in Sutter's coaching. He had gained a rep for being able to take a team to the playoffs consistently (he was/is a good motivator most of the time and knew how to get a lot out of his players) but there was the thought that he couldn't coach a good system, especially for skilled players, and as a result he wouldn't be able to lead a team deep into the playoffs. I remember the Sharks PP being a sore spot during his tenure and somewhat bad rapport with both younger and skill players (Marleau, Korolyuk, Selanne). Even a guy like Friesen put on 10lbs at the expense of some of his speed to appease Sutter and be more of a grinder.

Sutter has probably learned a lot in the 10 years he's been gone, but even now, Kings fans still moaned about his unwillingness to play guys like Toffoli last season and Pearson this season. Young players that many thought were ready for the NHL, but Sutter sent back to the A. Both guys got called up late in the season and had a big impact on the Kings stretch and playoff runs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's been over 10 years. Does it really matter at this point? They earned their pink slips even if they did a lot of good in their time here. Makes little difference now and them getting canned probably helped them evolve as people in their positions.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Lombardi was let go specifically because he did not do what the Sharks's owners wanted...they wanted to shed salary and obtain value for players like Selanne and Damphousse. Lombarid overplayed his hand and got nothing for those players.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I truly believe the Sharks would have won the Cup in 2004 if the new ownership didn't interfere that season and we had kept Nolan.

The Sharks should never have let Mike Ricci and Vincent Damphousse go. Those guys would have provided a lot of nice veteran leadership to the Sharks's teams from 2006-2008 (in theory, Damphousse doesn't retire). DW spent a part of those years just trying to acquire a player like Ricci back...

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Look at you guys making excuses for Doug Wilson and the current Sharks.

Please. Lombardi is great GM and always was.

The fact is Lombardi got Carter, Richards and Gaborik instead of the Sharks getting any of that action. And that has made the difference. Did he attain Justin Williams too? Who drafted Kopitar and Quick?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

The fact is Lombardi got Carter, Richards and Gaborik instead of the Sharks getting any of that action. And that has made the difference. Did he attain Justin Williams too? Who drafted Kopitar and Quick?

Well it wasn't Tim Burke. It is just as likely that Tim Burke would still be the head of scouting regardless of Lombardi staying and that essentially means we would not draft Kopitar or Quick anyways. Probably wouldn't even have been in a situation to draft Kopitar either way.

Justin Williams was also looking to be one of the biggest bandaid boys in the league as well when he came to LA. 2 years in a row he only played 30-40 something games.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands

Doug traded for Boyle who is the leading scorer among Defense. Traded Coyle for Burns. Moved POS Toskala and a guy looking at Jail time for DUI in Mark Bell for a 1st round pick which became Couture.

Drafted Hertl, Couture, Vlasic.

Just because the Sharks haven't one a cup doesn't mean Doug hasn't made good moves. Or that LA makes all the right moves.

Also if they Kings were so good at drafting why did they take Teubert over Karlson? Or Thomas Hickey over Couture, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Eller, Perron?

See you can play that game two ways.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wilson has been more consistent in his GMing where as Lombardi has been better the past 3 years. Wilson took a team that had just missed the playoffs and made the playoffs with them for 11 straight years. Just never really got that mix of luck, injuries, and easy opponents that the Kings got the past 3 years. I'd say Wilson has been the better GM in their tenures with their teams. Lombardi has made a lot of mistakes too. He has 3 albatross contracts on his team in Richards, Brown, and Quick. All 3 of these are absolutely awful.

It can be argued that if Wilson was able to pick up UFAs like Williams, Scuderi (two Kings UFAs off the top of my head), he may have won the cup, and it can also be argued that Lombardi being in LA vs Wilson being in SJ is a reason for Wilson's inability to sign UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad