Why did Quebec not get a team?

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Quebec city isnt growing... There was 110,000 people in 1910... 125,000 in 1920... It used to be biggest city of Canada, but that time is gone... Like it or not, Quebec isn't really an appealing market, you don't extend any potential business there.

I've been in so many big US city and some in Europe, I'm not close to the area really but QC city is still my favorite place to go hang out and just chill in a city. (Summer time) Winter is cancer anywhere in Canada not named West BC.

tarapoto2006

Mar 2, 2018
Quebec City has a population of ~800,000 while Seattle has a greater metro area population of ~4 000,000. Pretty clear choice if you're the NHL BoG. Plus Quebec City already had a team, they might be a candidate for relocation but I doubt expansion is in the cards for them.

Population of Atlanta: 5,884,736

just sayin'

Noisia

Oct 30, 2018
Because they lost a team already.
Maybe in the future if a team relocates.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I have to say some are opposed to a team going there. Bruins ownership openly said they were against a Quebec team. I'm also wondering what is the habs' ownership stance on the issue. Really doubt they'd be happy to have a team there as well. And just like that its a pretty big stone in your shoe.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Quebec City doesn't bring the NHL any closer to a US broadcasting deal.

Quebec City isnt a large city, the population growth is below average in Canada, and very poor for a metropolitan area.

It makes little sense to invest in a small, slowly growing city. Instead, the NHL will invest in the sunbelt because the expected present value of current and future earnings of a team in Houston is much higher than a team in Quebec.

And exactly how has the Coyotes, Golden Knights, Sharks, Ducks, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Panthers, or Lightning helped get that deal? They haven't, and having Quebec won't.. adding Seattle won't... and even adding Houston won't.

The NHL has been trying to land the "big" US Broadcasting deal since 1970, and never will because not enough people really care about the NHL. And besides, the NHL has taken so long that TV has died anyways. Streaming is the future, not the NHL on NBC.

Reactions: amethyst and Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Seattle did get screwed over during expansions:

The criteria for the 1967 expansion was that a market had to have pro sports teams - that left out Seattle, even though the Totems of the WHL were fairly successful.

In 1974, the NHL granted Seattle a conditional expansion franchise (along with Denver). Later in 1975, the Penguins and the Scouts were in financial trouble and almost moved. Vince Abbey was to be owner of the Seattle franchise, but it was revoked because of financial concerns. However, there was a lawsuit against the NHL that lasted for nine years if I recall right, which finally confirmed the NHL has the right to pick who is and is not in its ownership club.

Then that 1990 expansion push that ended up with Ottawa and Tampa Bay - the then-owner of the NBA Sonics Barry Ackerley simply screwed over his partners, torpedoing the expansion bid by walking into the Board of Governors meeting and withdrawing the bid, immediately before the ownership group was scheduled to present their case in front of the Board of Governors.

So it isn't like there haven't been problems - Seattle has likely been the most snakebitten market with respect to the NHL in modern times, surpassing Cleveland during the "Original Six" era.

It isn't like there's much "Uncle Gary" can do. He cannot relocate teams - that's the responsibility of the teams' ownership.

Then again, when both the Thrashers and the Coyotes were problems, "Uncle Gary" was able to direct the Thrashers to Winnipeg. Seems like True North had been a good partner to the League and were rewarded with a relocated team.

try back in the 70s expansion period and in the early 90s.
Given checkered NHL expansion history, league treading carefully with Seattle on franchise launch year

above is just one article--but its been talked about in various stories over the years. One story was from the 90s when San Jose was awarded a franchise they were going to get one then some back deal was done pulling it away. A big part of it was the NBA blocking NHL from coming in.

Key Arena was viable one designed for both sports. part of the deal that was done had the Sonics redesigning the arena for basketball only so trying to play a hockey game was like how the Islanders were in Barkleys

Again... they havent been screwed over or
back-stabbed.... its been their own doing whether its bad ownership or arena situation. Its nobody's fault but their own.

Bettman cant relocate teams but he can pretty much strong arm owners into doing so. IMO part of the reason they had no issues moving the Thrashers was that the Jets owner is the richest person in Canada and worth over 20 billion.

RE Phoenix... it still is a problem. You wrote that as if it was a past issue. There is a reason current ownership wants to sell (IIRC I read that Barroway wants to get rid of his majority share). Bettman needs to cut his loses, admit Phoenix hasn't worked out (likely never will... in 2012 they were last in attendance despite it being the best season in franchise history) and move it to QC where the team can finally make money.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Brought it up ealier. Quebec was never getting the 31 or 32 team because they wanted to even out the number of teams in each conference. The gm's don't want a situation where it's easier to make the playoffs in 1 division then it is in other. 8 team instead of 7 says any team in the 7 team division has an easier time to make playoffs then a team in a 9 team division if Quebec was given team. Sending say Detroit to west again wasn't going to happen. Dailey was on xm radio and said the exact same thing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I have to say some are opposed to a team going there. Bruins ownership openly said they were against a Quebec team. I'm also wondering what is the habs' ownership stance on the issue. Really doubt they'd be happy to have a team there as well. And just like that its a pretty big stone in your shoe.

I'm sure the Kings werent happy with Anaheim, Tampa with the Panthers etc

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Brought it up ealier. Quebec was never getting the 31 or 32 team because they wanted to even out the number of teams in each conference. The gm's don't want a situation where it's easier to make the playoffs in 1 division then it is in other. 8 team instead of 7 says any team in the 7 team division has an easier time to make playoffs then a team in a 9 team division if Quebec was given team. Sending say Detroit to west again wasn't going to happen. Dailey was on xm radio and said the exact same thing.
Sounds like lame excuse.
Older folks will remember late 80s Patrick division had 1 more team for quite a few years.
Really older folks will remmber 1974 where California was with Toronto and LA with Mtl!

Nhl played with 2 more teams in a conference for many years. Quickly checked 94-95, 2013-2017. If having even 2 more teams on 1 side was such a problem they would have fixed it faster.

Thing is Florida needs to play Mtl in the East for $$$ reasons.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
What was that Jim?
I got cut the first time stating a song title by Jim in French........
( It meant "Your love is too heavy"-- Ton amour est trop lourd. )
I once thought if The Ottawa Senators went to waste (It headed downhill for some time but seems stabilized), Québec would be a nice place to land them. Anyway, Bettman and co. knows Québec is SO craving for a hockey team that they could send them any F'n team and they just do anything to acquire it.
The NHL is conquering new areas while Québec is waiting there as an option for a team moving.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I got cut the first time stating a song title by Jim in French........
( It meant "Your love is too heavy"-- Ton amour est trop lourd. )
I once thought if The Ottawa Senators went to waste (It headed downhill for some time but seems stabilized), Québec would be a nice place to land them. Anyway, Bettman and co. knows Québec is SO craving for a hockey team that they could send them any F'n team and they just do anything to acquire it.
The NHL is conquering new areas while Québec is waiting there as an option for a team moving.
Not sure they are SO craving. They want a team and did what was asked of them. They built the place. They found ownership. Sometimes the excuse is they are too vocal, not enough vocal. They did a few invasions to empty arenas. They host preseason games with 10 000 fans paying to see B teams, exactly like Mtl without a proper stadium and no fan support for baseball is doing.

The Boston owner sure seems to hate Quebec.

Heck even the Quebec pee-wee tournament is world famous; 120 teams 200 000 + paying attendance.

Adult ticket is 8$, same as Panthers ticket on Stub Hub...

Reactions: Voight

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Cus American economy > Canadian economy. Just not an appealing market in general.

I think you mean that America>Canada, but I do have to admit I quite like Quebec. The food and women are great, and the European vibe is truly unique for North America. Montreal is easily one of my top 5 cities in North America (maybe even top 3), QC is charming, and Mont Tremblant is my preferred ski destination on the east coast (It makes the Vermont ski resorts look like kitschy dumps, which is exactly what they are). Outside of Quebec there's really not much reason for the rest of Canada to exist- should just become an American possession like Puerto Rico.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
to be fair, the NFL would move the team out of Green Bay in a heartbeat if they could..they've made several rules to ensure a situation like Green Bay never happens again
green bay is community owned...the nfl already made a rule afterwards to do away with community ownership.....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I thought I recall the potential ownership being in media talking about bringing the NHL back. If I am wrong then I take it back.

I don't remember True North talking about it until it was basically a done deal.

Thats because the NHL wanted to keep it secret. I believe they wanted as little chaos as possible.

You are correct, but Quebec should be high on the relocation list. 1A or 1B

They are the only option of the relocation list IMO. Unless you look at places like KC & Houston that are no sure thing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Seattle is 230 km from Vancouver.

giphy.gif

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
It was pretty clearly a joke as there are several teams that seem to meet that criteria.

Plus he has already explained that a couple of times in this 10 page thread.

I thought they were serious. It wouldn't be shocking around here.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Yeah too many simpletons thinking that butts in the seats is all that matters. It does help but corporate dollars and TV deals are where its at.

Butts matter. More butts means more merchandise sales, more concessions money, more people working at the venue.

Any big city can rent 50 or so suites.

TV deals numbers are so in favor of Canadian cities its not even funny.

"Despite a slight bump on NBC, NHL viewership hit a multi-year low in the regular season.
NHL regular season games averaged 417,000 viewers across NBC, NBCSN and NBC’s digital platforms, down 12% from last year (474K). As noted by Sports Business Daily, it was the lowest average since at least 2010-11. Though viewership declined overall, the NBC broadcast network posted a slight bump for its 12-game schedule. The network averaged 1.29 million viewers (including streaming), up 4% from last year’s record-low 1.29 million (15 telecasts)." From sports media watch

"Hockey Night in Canada’s ratings were up 11 per cent from the 2015-16 season to an average audience of 1.8 million viewers for the 7 p.m. game, and up six per cent (560,000 viewers) for the late game." 2017 numbers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad