Why did Quebec not get a team?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by nilan30, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Kunta Kinte

Kunta Kinte Registered User

Quebec city isnt growing... There was 110,000 people in 1910... 125,000 in 1920... It used to be biggest city of Canada, but that time is gone... Like it or not, Quebec isn't really an appealing market, you don't extend any potential business there.

I've been in so many big US city and some in Europe, I'm not close to the area really but QC city is still my favorite place to go hang out and just chill in a city. (Summer time) Winter is cancer anywhere in Canada not named West BC.

2. SensFactor

SensFactor Registered User

Quebec city is too small

3. TT1

TT1 Registered User

Cus American economy > Canadian economy. Just not an appealing market in general.

BeSeeingYouSeattle likes this.
  4. tarapoto2006

tarapoto2006 Registered User

Population of Atlanta: 5,884,736

just sayin'

5. Noisia

Noisia Registered User

Because they lost a team already.
    Maybe in the future if a team relocates.

6. THE HOFF

THE HOFF Registered User

I have to say some are opposed to a team going there. Bruins ownership openly said they were against a Quebec team. I'm also wondering what is the habs' ownership stance on the issue. Really doubt they'd be happy to have a team there as well. And just like that its a pretty big stone in your shoe.

7. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

And exactly how has the Coyotes, Golden Knights, Sharks, Ducks, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Panthers, or Lightning helped get that deal? They haven't, and having Quebec won't.. adding Seattle won't... and even adding Houston won't.

The NHL has been trying to land the "big" US Broadcasting deal since 1970, and never will because not enough people really care about the NHL. And besides, the NHL has taken so long that TV has died anyways. Streaming is the future, not the NHL on NBC.

amethyst and Voight like this.
  8. Voight

Voight #winning

Again... they havent been screwed over or
    back-stabbed.... its been their own doing whether its bad ownership or arena situation. Its nobody's fault but their own.

Bettman cant relocate teams but he can pretty much strong arm owners into doing so. IMO part of the reason they had no issues moving the Thrashers was that the Jets owner is the richest person in Canada and worth over 20 billion.

RE Phoenix... it still is a problem. You wrote that as if it was a past issue. There is a reason current ownership wants to sell (IIRC I read that Barroway wants to get rid of his majority share). Bettman needs to cut his loses, admit Phoenix hasn't worked out (likely never will... in 2012 they were last in attendance despite it being the best season in franchise history) and move it to QC where the team can finally make money.

9. ffh

ffh Registered User

Brought it up ealier. Quebec was never getting the 31 or 32 team because they wanted to even out the number of teams in each conference. The gm's don't want a situation where it's easier to make the playoffs in 1 division then it is in other. 8 team instead of 7 says any team in the 7 team division has an easier time to make playoffs then a team in a 9 team division if Quebec was given team. Sending say Detroit to west again wasn't going to happen. Dailey was on xm radio and said the exact same thing.

10. Voight

Voight #winning

I'm sure the Kings werent happy with Anaheim, Tampa with the Panthers etc

11. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

Sounds like lame excuse.
    Older folks will remember late 80s Patrick division had 1 more team for quite a few years.
    Really older folks will remmber 1974 where California was with Toronto and LA with Mtl!

Nhl played with 2 more teams in a conference for many years. Quickly checked 94-95, 2013-2017. If having even 2 more teams on 1 side was such a problem they would have fixed it faster.

Thing is Florida needs to play Mtl in the East for $$$ reasons.

12. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

Funny how fast food chains build right next to each other.

Voight and Fixxer like this.
  13. Fixxer

Fixxer Registered User

What I need to do
    I got cut the first time stating a song title by Jim in French........
    ( It meant "Your love is too heavy"-- Ton amour est trop lourd. )
    I once thought if The Ottawa Senators went to waste (It headed downhill for some time but seems stabilized), Québec would be a nice place to land them. Anyway, Bettman and co. knows Québec is SO craving for a hockey team that they could send them any F'n team and they just do anything to acquire it.
    The NHL is conquering new areas while Québec is waiting there as an option for a team moving.

14. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

Not sure they are SO craving. They want a team and did what was asked of them. They built the place. They found ownership. Sometimes the excuse is they are too vocal, not enough vocal. They did a few invasions to empty arenas. They host preseason games with 10 000 fans paying to see B teams, exactly like Mtl without a proper stadium and no fan support for baseball is doing.

The Boston owner sure seems to hate Quebec.

Heck even the Quebec pee-wee tournament is world famous; 120 teams 200 000 + paying attendance.

Adult ticket is 8$, same as Panthers ticket on Stub Hub...

Voight likes this.
  15. ScaredStreit

ScaredStreit Registered User

It makes more sense financially...it's really that simple.

16. 135ace

135ace Registered User

I think you mean that America>Canada, but I do have to admit I quite like Quebec. The food and women are great, and the European vibe is truly unique for North America. Montreal is easily one of my top 5 cities in North America (maybe even top 3), QC is charming, and Mont Tremblant is my preferred ski destination on the east coast (It makes the Vermont ski resorts look like kitschy dumps, which is exactly what they are). Outside of Quebec there's really not much reason for the rest of Canada to exist- should just become an American possession like Puerto Rico.

17. mashedpotato

mashedpotato full stack.

Lack of corporate sponsorship.

Simple as that.

/thread.

Shwag33 likes this.
  18. Shwag33

Shwag33 Registered User

Yeah too many simpletons thinking that butts in the seats is all that matters. It does help but corporate dollars and TV deals are where its at.

Viqsi likes this.
  19. sawchuk1971

sawchuk1971 Registered User

green bay is community owned...the nfl already made a rule afterwards to do away with community ownership.....

20. Captain And Coke

Captain And Coke Registered User

Seattle is 230 km from Vancouver.

Voight likes this.
  21. Voight

Voight #winning

Thats because the NHL wanted to keep it secret. I believe they wanted as little chaos as possible.

They are the only option of the relocation list IMO. Unless you look at places like KC & Houston that are no sure thing.

22. Voight

Voight #winning

[​IMG]

23. Cellee

Cellee Registered User

It was pretty clearly a joke as there are several teams that seem to meet that criteria.

Plus he has already explained that a couple of times in this 10 page thread.

24. Captain And Coke

Captain And Coke Registered User

I thought they were serious. It wouldn't be shocking around here.

25. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

Butts matter. More butts means more merchandise sales, more concessions money, more people working at the venue.

Any big city can rent 50 or so suites.

TV deals numbers are so in favor of Canadian cities its not even funny.

"Despite a slight bump on NBC, NHL viewership hit a multi-year low in the regular season.
    NHL regular season games averaged 417,000 viewers across NBC, NBCSN and NBC’s digital platforms, down 12% from last year (474K). As noted by Sports Business Daily, it was the lowest average since at least 2010-11. Though viewership declined overall, the NBC broadcast network posted a slight bump for its 12-game schedule. The network averaged 1.29 million viewers (including streaming), up 4% from last year’s record-low 1.29 million (15 telecasts)." From sports media watch

"Hockey Night in Canada’s ratings were up 11 per cent from the 2015-16 season to an average audience of 1.8 million viewers for the 7 p.m. game, and up six per cent (560,000 viewers) for the late game." 2017 numbers