Why did Quebec not get a team?

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
This is an honest question. And I'm not a super angry Canadian who thinks the NHL hates us. I'm just honestly confused because I thought they had an NHL ready arena and some super rich dude that was willing to pony up. Was it simply the East vs West thing needing to be worked out? Or were there other reasons. The NHL has shown it's willingness to go back to former Canadian markets so I have to believe that isn't it. As a Habs fan I kinda hoped it would happen because that was a damn good rivalry back in the day.

Reactions: viper0220

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
When the process began, the Hurricane ownership was up in the air (it's fine now), Ottawa is in a bit of a weird place, Florida is losing money and there's an opt out clause in 2025 and the lease is done in 2028, Arizona is up in the air as well. So having a city ready with an arena and an owner is valuable for the NHL. It's the best backup plan if shit hit the fan quickly for any team.

On top of that add the growth of hockey and the East-West

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Quebec is given opportunities to show they want a team every year during the preseason and they draw under 10k most of the time.

As @Shwag33 said, not enough corporate money, etc. plenty of reasons Quebec keeps getting left out.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Cost has to be a factor at this point.

Vegas paid 500M USD for their team

Seattle will surely pay more (550-650M?)

By the time you do currency conversion you’d be looking at nearly a billion Canadian dollars before the arena even gets built.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Long story short

-brand new untapped revenue stream that will have full support of both the immediate and surrounding areas and a B.I.G big, f***ing ginormous TV deal

Or

-far smaller but traditional hockey market that will make a lot of money but will not have the full support of the province due to the Canadiens eating a big piece of the pie and not make as much money on TV deals

The idea is to grow the game and make money and Seattle is a much better opportunity to do both. I'm not dissing QC either it's just that these are the kind of things that are looked at when deciding expansion.

I hope to see the Nords come back. By rights they're next

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Two things spring to mind for me:
(1) Quebec is east. Conferences are already imbalanced in that direction.
(2) Putting a team in Quebec isn't making any new hockey/NHL fans. Lacks upside from both a monetary and a "growing the sport" perspective.
And a possible third:
(3) Quebec may have an arena, but does it have an ownership group?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Cost has to be a factor at this point.

Vegas paid 500M USD for their team

Seattle will surely pay more (550-650M?)

By the time you do currency conversion you’d be looking at nearly a billion Canadian dollars before the arena even gets built.
Yup.

Plus QC is trying to strong arm getting a team back and are too vocal. They are only going to be a relocation option, they need to shut up, and sit tight.

Winnipeg did everything the right way.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Similar case to Winnipeg. Expand into the big markets ($$), relocate to the smaller, niche markets (WPG, QBC etc) is the logical thing for the NHL to do. The smaller markets may have a hard time coughing up the expansion fee, where as it's likely no big deal for a groups like in Vegas and Seattle.

As long as Quebec is ready on the sidelines, they will almost certainly get the next relocation. It's just a matter of who, and when.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad