Why did Quebec not get a team?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by nilan30, Dec 4, 2018.

1. KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque Registered User

Too many Canadian teams as it is

2. NinjaKick

NinjaKick Registered User

every once in a while when I browse on here and I stumble on a post that makes my brain hurt
    ouch

3. NA Scouting

NA Scouting Registered User

So much fail in this thread.

They literally just built a modern arena based on Pittsburgh's, are you kidding me?

What? Since the beginning of the construction of the arena they never said a thing aside from expressing interest. They entered the expansion process that finally went to Vegas and hardly even complained. They did everything they could and said they supported and respected Bettman and the NHL. They said they would stay ready for the NHL and yet the NHL doesn't give a F. It's actually impressing how the Quebec group hasn't come out in the media and thrashed the NHL

Voight likes this.
  4. cbcwpg

cbcwpg Registered User

Quebec is being saved for the "break glass in case of emergency" team relocation.

bigtim1988 likes this.
  5. McShogun99

McShogun99 Registered User

That is the worst thing to do when trying to impress the NHL. Every game should be an instant sellout with even more wanting to go. That sends a better message then boycotting the league.

6. Cellee

Cellee Registered User

I thought I recall the potential ownership being in media talking about bringing the NHL back. If I am wrong then I take it back.

I don't remember True North talking about it until it was basically a done deal.

7. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    This will be Quebec's lone shot.....

8. NA Scouting

NA Scouting Registered User

What people don't seem to understand is that there is not a single argument against Quebec City being in the NHL. It should be done by now and we should never talk about whether or not there should be a team there ever again.

Giving a team to Quebec City would be very simple, and would cost the NHL nothing. The arena is already built, and they are willing to pay the $500M. The fans already have their butts in the seats and are ready for puck drop. I understand the NHL and Gary wants the league to be some kind of ''private elite club'', to drive prices up, but they should make an exception for Quebec City. Especially after saying how great their bid was during the Vegas expansion process. The NHL knows Quebec City is ready, and Quebec City is ready for the NHL. So what if there is an imbalance in the conferences? It's no big deal. A new team would guarentee the owners more money, and the players 23 more roster spots.

While it is a small market per NHL standards, everyone knows the fans are crazy about hockey and the arena will always be sold out. There might be less sponsorship and growth opportunities but nevertheless the team, even on bad years, will make more money than at least 1/3 of the NHL. In big years, they will be in the top-10. They would be ahead of Florida, Arizona, Carolina, etc even with a bunch of AHLers on the ice. Heck, they sell more tickets for juniors games.

What's the NHL's argument for delaying? ''Meh, we're good with 16-16 conferences.'' Like, what? It's like Apple saying: ''Meh, we're good with making $1.5 billion revenus, and even though we could surely reach $2 billion by expanding to this territory, we... won't. We simply won't. Just because.

Voight likes this.
  9. Cellee

Cellee Registered User

Correct.

10. jaric1862

jaric1862 Registered User

I think is Arizona relocates its to Houston and if Florida, Carolina or Ottawa relocate, its to Quebec City. I think this would be pretty good tbh.

[​IMG]

11. FieldOfDreams

FieldOfDreams If you build it, Tavares will come

Quebec City doesn't bring the NHL any closer to a US broadcasting deal.

Quebec City isnt a large city, the population growth is below average in Canada, and very poor for a metropolitan area.

It makes little sense to invest in a small, slowly growing city. Instead, the NHL will invest in the sunbelt because the expected present value of current and future earnings of a team in Houston is much higher than a team in Quebec.

Fixxer, bigtim1988 and Stickpucker like this.
  12. Cellee

Cellee Registered User

You are correct, but Quebec should be high on the relocation list. 1A or 1B

amethyst and Fixxer like this.
  13. Stickpucker

Stickpucker Playmaka

Just watch the Habs.

14. jaric1862

jaric1862 Registered User

Arizona to Houston, Florida to Quebec. Zero movement of teams from divisions

Voight, bigtim1988 and Cellee like this.
  15. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

Hockey in Houston is nuts.

16. BeSeeingYouSeattle

BeSeeingYouSeattle Part time Leaf fan

Nah. Things are fine.

17. Fixxer

Fixxer Registered User

What I need to do
    When you see Michel Bergeron (Former Nords Coach) and Rodger Brulotte (Baseball Announcer) discussing the Montreal Canadiens, you know there's an issue with sports in the province of Québec (which includes Québec and Montreal). The Montreal team ate up (converted) a good groups of fans around and younger kids don't know about the Nordiques... ALSO, the French language being a thing also play into a lot of French Canadians associating with the Habs. So, why Québec now??
    I know there are a ton of debates and arguments. There are rumors that Geoff Molson also doesn't want Québec to be back... as he can get more profits off is team, instead of having to maybe lose some fans...
    Anyway, the ever-coming back question..

18. DowntownBooster

DowntownBooster Registered User

Why on earth would the NFL want to move the team out of Green Bay? It's one of the most interesting teams in the league and has a rich history. I can see you questioning that market if they had a half empty stadium when they played but they have great fan support. Maybe people need to take the initiative to learn about places before making such harsh judgments as to which locations deserve a team or not.

:jets

19. JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson Registered User

There ought to be a referendum! or, something? :)

20. Spectra

Spectra Registered boozer

Just move the OTT franchise there if needed, perhaps the sooner the better. There are already too many CAN teams as is.

21. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

What was that Jim?

22. Cellee

Cellee Registered User

Dumb

23. lawrence

lawrence Registered User

you know what, I understand Quebec may only have a population area of 800 000, or so, but I still refuse to believe they can't do at least better then 10 American NHL teams. I cannot image them not getting a higher attendance then places Like Miami, Arizona, Brookyln , to name a few.

Voight likes this.
  24. MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX Registered User

7 million dollar man Gary doesnt mind empty seats. If you go to a Panthers home game, you will see that 5 sections behind each goal in the upper bowl are closed. If you happen to have a ticket there, they will get you to a different section. Choose your seat because all upper sections are 80% empty.

Watch a game on tv and the camera never goes higher than the lower bowl. Rich team cover for them because revenue money is pooled.

Voight likes this.
  25. Kimota

Kimota ROY DU NORD!!!

KING
    Don't worry about that, Québec in the late 80s finished last like 3 years in a row and still had a good attendances. We are in hockey nuts country. that is what i don't get from the NHL, wouldn't it better to have filled arenas?