Why did Quebec not get a team?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
So much fail in this thread.

Cost has to be a factor at this point.

Vegas paid 500M USD for their team

Seattle will surely pay more (550-650M?)

By the time you do currency conversion you’d be looking at nearly a billion Canadian dollars before the arena even gets built.

They literally just built a modern arena based on Pittsburgh's, are you kidding me?

Yup.

Plus QC is trying to strong arm getting a team back and are too vocal. They are only going to be a relocation option, they need to shut up, and sit tight.

Winnipeg did everything the right way.

What? Since the beginning of the construction of the arena they never said a thing aside from expressing interest. They entered the expansion process that finally went to Vegas and hardly even complained. They did everything they could and said they supported and respected Bettman and the NHL. They said they would stay ready for the NHL and yet the NHL doesn't give a F. It's actually impressing how the Quebec group hasn't come out in the media and thrashed the NHL

Reactions: Voight

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Then stop complaining about getting a team.

That is the worst thing to do when trying to impress the NHL. Every game should be an instant sellout with even more wanting to go. That sends a better message then boycotting the league.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
So much fail in this thread.

They literally just built a modern arena based on Pittsburgh's, are you kidding me?

What? Since the beginning of the construction of the arena they never said a thing aside from expressing interest. They entered the expansion process that finally went to Vegas and hardly even complained. They did everything they could and said they supported and respected Bettman and the NHL. They said they would stay ready for the NHL and yet the NHL doesn't give a F. It's actually impressing how the Quebec group hasn't come out in the media and thrashed the NHL

I thought I recall the potential ownership being in media talking about bringing the NHL back. If I am wrong then I take it back.

I don't remember True North talking about it until it was basically a done deal.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
What people don't seem to understand is that there is not a single argument against Quebec City being in the NHL. It should be done by now and we should never talk about whether or not there should be a team there ever again.

Giving a team to Quebec City would be very simple, and would cost the NHL nothing. The arena is already built, and they are willing to pay the $500M. The fans already have their butts in the seats and are ready for puck drop. I understand the NHL and Gary wants the league to be some kind of ''private elite club'', to drive prices up, but they should make an exception for Quebec City. Especially after saying how great their bid was during the Vegas expansion process. The NHL knows Quebec City is ready, and Quebec City is ready for the NHL. So what if there is an imbalance in the conferences? It's no big deal. A new team would guarentee the owners more money, and the players 23 more roster spots.

While it is a small market per NHL standards, everyone knows the fans are crazy about hockey and the arena will always be sold out. There might be less sponsorship and growth opportunities but nevertheless the team, even on bad years, will make more money than at least 1/3 of the NHL. In big years, they will be in the top-10. They would be ahead of Florida, Arizona, Carolina, etc even with a bunch of AHLers on the ice. Heck, they sell more tickets for juniors games.

What's the NHL's argument for delaying? ''Meh, we're good with 16-16 conferences.'' Like, what? It's like Apple saying: ''Meh, we're good with making $1.5 billion revenus, and even though we could surely reach $2 billion by expanding to this territory, we... won't. We simply won't. Just because.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think is Arizona relocates its to Houston and if Florida, Carolina or Ottawa relocate, its to Quebec City. I think this would be pretty good tbh.

NHL-Relocation-Map-Houston-and-Seattle-1024x640.png

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Quebec City doesn't bring the NHL any closer to a US broadcasting deal.

Quebec City isnt a large city, the population growth is below average in Canada, and very poor for a metropolitan area.

It makes little sense to invest in a small, slowly growing city. Instead, the NHL will invest in the sunbelt because the expected present value of current and future earnings of a team in Houston is much higher than a team in Quebec.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Quebec City isnt a large city, the population growth is below average in Canada, and very poor for a metropolitan area.

It makes little sense to invest in a small, slowly growing city. Instead, the NHL will invest in the sunbelt because the expected present value of current and future earnings of a team in Houston is much higher than a team in Quebec.
You are correct, but Quebec should be high on the relocation list. 1A or 1B

Reactions: amethyst and Fixxer

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Hockey in Houston is nuts.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
When you see Michel Bergeron (Former Nords Coach) and Rodger Brulotte (Baseball Announcer) discussing the Montreal Canadiens, you know there's an issue with sports in the province of Québec (which includes Québec and Montreal). The Montreal team ate up (converted) a good groups of fans around and younger kids don't know about the Nordiques... ALSO, the French language being a thing also play into a lot of French Canadians associating with the Habs. So, why Québec now??
I know there are a ton of debates and arguments. There are rumors that Geoff Molson also doesn't want Québec to be back... as he can get more profits off is team, instead of having to maybe lose some fans...
Anyway, the ever-coming back question..

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
to be fair, the NFL would move the team out of Green Bay in a heartbeat if they could..they've made several rules to ensure a situation like Green Bay never happens again

Why on earth would the NFL want to move the team out of Green Bay? It's one of the most interesting teams in the league and has a rich history. I can see you questioning that market if they had a half empty stadium when they played but they have great fan support. Maybe people need to take the initiative to learn about places before making such harsh judgments as to which locations deserve a team or not.

:jets

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Just move the OTT franchise there if needed, perhaps the sooner the better. There are already too many CAN teams as is.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
At the very least they should consider moving teams like the Canes/Yotes/Panthers to Quebec

you know what, I understand Quebec may only have a population area of 800 000, or so, but I still refuse to believe they can't do at least better then 10 American NHL teams. I cannot image them not getting a higher attendance then places Like Miami, Arizona, Brookyln , to name a few.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
you know what, I understand Quebec may only have a population area of 800 000, or so, but I still refuse to believe they can't do at least better then 10 American NHL teams. I cannot image them not getting a higher attendance then places Like Miami, Arizona, Brookyln , to name a few.
7 million dollar man Gary doesnt mind empty seats. If you go to a Panthers home game, you will see that 5 sections behind each goal in the upper bowl are closed. If you happen to have a ticket there, they will get you to a different section. Choose your seat because all upper sections are 80% empty.

Watch a game on tv and the camera never goes higher than the lower bowl. Rich team cover for them because revenue money is pooled.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Don't worry about that, Québec in the late 80s finished last like 3 years in a row and still had a good attendances. We are in hockey nuts country. that is what i don't get from the NHL, wouldn't it better to have filled arenas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->