Why did Leiweke tear Nonis' 3 year deal to give him a 5 year deal????

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Tbh I don't believe for a second Nonis is safe.

Regardless of his deal who cares, this is MLSE with unlimited money. They can afford to pay Nonis whatever buyout is incorporated into his deal.

Not that he should be fired, but Leiwicke shouldn't let his ego play into this. That's something the leaders of this org have messed up with over and over again.

If he doesn't have faith in Nonis eat your god damn pride and can him

WhataStick

Jan 1, 2012
Figured out one of the BIG reasons why Leafs have not won stanley cup last 47 years.
"Leafs Constant change in management & Constant Change in culture of team.
Our Last semi success with constant manager & culture was with Quinn.Then bang new manager in Fergusion (what a Joke!!) then Flecther (another mistake) then Burke
Look at Detroit - with constant management -constant type of team direction -making playoffs 22 years in row and counting -
Even NJ Devils has been a constant type of team ( that's why clarkson did't fit in -no structure with Leafs)
Turn to Present era - Burke was working has heart & guts out to build a winner in Toronto = working on getting the peieces together -BANG he gets canned !!
Norris is in -Another change in management & maybe direction of team again !
Same Boss like the old Boss??
Present time Now we are asking for another change in management to remove Norris -
what the hec is going on!!!!

it all started - Sportsnet removing Burke & leaving us with this mess. Thick & Thin Burke was the man for the job for the Leafs
Watch out his Calgary Flames - they're playing better than the leafs!!

Norris did not ask for the job- Now he has to answer for his decisions & his plans for the future -Sometimes he must ask himself if how better the days were with Burke around.

That's why leafs have not won in 47 years & counting - Constant managemnt change & constant CULTURE CHANGES -

Norris has quite a job ahead of him - Hope he does well for next year
Coach -players changes & draft picks

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
good for you if you knew Clarkson was going put up the points he did. You should be rich from all the money you must make betting on sports.

The FACT is plenty of teams were in on Clarkson. The nature of hitting the free market with multiple suitors is that your price goes up. Right now it looks like an all time bad signing, but that's using hindsight. It would be one thing if we were the only team bidding for him and still paid what we did, but that's not what happened. If he had scored 30 goals and got 150 PIMs, would you be upset with the signing? Or would you have been trumpeting what a smart and obvious move it was?

the fact that other teams were in on him doesnt justify his price tag. a competent GM would have walked away. i can tell you honestly that no one in their right mind thought he was going to score 30 goals again. the Devils had a great year and he was a benefactor. the very NEXT year he put up a little more than half of what he did in 2012, a whopping 15 goals and 24 points. it was a terrible, terrible decision no matter how you spin it

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
good for you if you knew Clarkson was going put up the points he did. You should be rich from all the money you must make betting on sports.

The FACT is plenty of teams were in on Clarkson. The nature of hitting the free market with multiple suitors is that your price goes up. Right now it looks like an all time bad signing, but that's using hindsight. It would be one thing if we were the only team bidding for him and still paid what we did, but that's not what happened. If he had scored 30 goals and got 150 PIMs, would you be upset with the signing? Or would you have been trumpeting what a smart and obvious move it was?

Leafs just throw **** at a wall and when it doesn't work they try it again. maybe a really marginally talented guy can be a great player for us. worth a shot, especially since Edmonton wants him too, those guys know what they're doing: Lowe, Mactavish, Howson, good hockey guys all.

if he turns out to be no good then that's just the way she goes. try to sign the next guy that the hockey hive mind agrees is a winner.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Tbh I don't believe for a second Nonis is safe.

Regardless of his deal who cares, this is MLSE with unlimited money. They can afford to pay Nonis whatever buyout is incorporated into his deal.

Not that he should be fired, but Leiwicke shouldn't let his ego play into this. That's something the leaders of this org have messed up with over and over again.

If he doesn't have faith in Nonis eat your god damn pride and can him

If Tim has someone in mind that he feels would be a better fit to run the team going forward, I would be fine with that. In fact I think it would be good to have someone come in and build the team the way they want. Not just picking up pieces from previous regimes.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Figured out one of the BIG reasons why Leafs have not won stanley cup last 47 years.
Our Last semi success with constant manager & culture was with Quinn.Then bang new manager in Fergusion (what a Joke!!) then Flecther (another mistake) then Burke
Look at Detroit - with constant management -constant type of team direction -making playoffs 22 years in row and counting -
Even NJ Devils has been a constant type of team ( that's why clarkson did't fit in -no structure with Leafs)
Turn to Present era - Burke was working has heart & guts out to build a winner in Toronto = working on getting the peieces together -BANG he gets canned !!
Present time Now we are asking for another change in management to remove Norris -

it all started - Sportsnet removing Burke & leaving us with this mess. Thick & Thin Burke was the man for the job for the Leafs

Norris did not ask for the job- Now he has to answer for his decisions & his plans for the future -Sometimes he must ask himself if how better the days were with Burke around.

That's why leafs have not won in 47 years & counting - Constant managemnt change & constant CULTURE CHANGES -

I would love to see the team set out a type of player they want to have and then use that formula for acquiring pieces that fit the mold. burke claimed to have this but then acquired soft players.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I don't think it's a big deal.

Leiweke has carte blanche to do whatever he wants now including cleaning out the front office.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
the fact that other teams were in on him doesnt justify his price tag. a competent GM would have walked away. i can tell you honestly that no one in their right mind thought he was going to score 30 goals again. the Devils had a great year and he was a benefactor. the very NEXT year he put up a little more than half of what he did in 2012, a whopping 15 goals and 24 points. it was a terrible, terrible decision no matter how you spin it

So in your mind he should get as many goals in 48 games as he did in 80? This is why we need hfboards members running nhl teams.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Leafs just throw **** at a wall and when it doesn't work they try it again. maybe a really marginally talented guy can be a great player for us. worth a shot, especially since Edmonton wants him too, those guys know what they're doing: Lowe, Mactavish, Howson, good hockey guys all.

if he turns out to be no good then that's just the way she goes. try to sign the next guy that the hockey hive mind agrees is a winner.

I'm assuming you understand that a lack of players make it to ufa status in a cap system. It's not like they had their pick of tons of goal scorers available last summer. He was considered the big prize. He could score 25 next year and then we'll see how the tide changes here.

It's funny because if you described the type of forward we need to add to this group, it would be a guy like the Clarkson who played his last 2 seasons in Jersey. physical, hard to move off the puck, gets to the dirty areas, can finish. nobody who was in on Clarkson thought he would play the way he has. But this isn't a video game, sometimes human beings don't perform the way you expected them to.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
So in your mind he should get as many goals in 48 games as he did in 80? This is why we need hfboards members running nhl teams.

ha, i forgot that was a lockout year :)

Clarkson sucks, his contract sucks, Nonis sucks. the Leafs deserve better

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

It's nice you conveniently forgot to mention it's the core that Burke built that has imploded the last 3 seasons.Burke has now also has also bought into the draft rebuild route on how to build a team.

If people want Nonis fired it should be for believing in the gutless players Burke assembled and not for just the one horrendous ufa signing.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
It's nice you conveniently forgot to mention it's the core that Burke built that has imploded the last 3 seasons.Burke has now also has also bought into the draft rebuild route on how to build a team.

If people want Nonis fired it should be for believing in the gutless players Burke assembled and not for just the one horrendous ufa signing.

Nonis and Burke worked hand and hand on every transaction period, including trading away draft picks like a drunken sailor, team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 of the last 9 years and have traded away more draft picks than any one just makes no sense period.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Because the Leafs suck at contract signings, from players right up to management.

It's not a management issue, it's a voodoo issue.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
ha, i forgot that was a lockout year :)

Clarkson sucks, his contract sucks, Nonis sucks. the Leafs deserve better

He was coming off basically what equates to back to back 30 goal seasons. He was exactly what we needed. He just didn't perform. simple as that.

It would be like us acquiring a hard nosed shutdown defender who is at the top of his game. That would seem like a solid move. But if player x has a terrible year next year, everyone on here will claim it was a terrible move.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If only MLSE would sell the Leafs Name and Markham were to have the arena plus be awarded the team, would love if they took Kessel and the lot to play there and a new ownership could just Focus on rebuilding the Real Leafs

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
I doubt they'd fire Nonis after two seasons, especially since they made the playoffs in his first year and came within minutes of knocking off the big, bad Bruins. I think that Carlyle is pretty much gone; he clearly has either lost the room, or else his coaching strategies are completely ineffective, but Nonis will probably get one more year to try and get the team back on track. The right choice for a replacement head coach and a few upgrades to the roster and I think this team is easily playoff-bound again.

wam_raven

Mar 2, 2007
Nonis acquired Bernier, who without a doubt became our #1 goalie. Then was injured and was not the same.

Nonis acquired Bolland, who played great for us in 14 games before suffering a near-career threatening injury. For all we know, he actually may never be the same.

Nonis did not trade Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly, when a lot of people were looking for one to be traded. By the end of the season, they were the best 2 defensemen. He should be commended for not cracking to the pressure and trading one of them.

Nonis just got on a new contract, given by Tim L.

Nonis is very safe.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
I was thinking, during those 8 games, did Nonis say anything? During a time like that, a GM should be taking attention away from the team so they aren't feeling pressured. Burke would have done something to put the pressure on himself or at least deflect it away from the team. In the most pressure filled market, a passive, patient man at the helm is not the right guy. I really really really hope we get a new GM.

Unfortunately I don't think we will be getting one.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Just flipping through the thread, post #68 was the first person to approve of the deal, and we hadn't even heard the dollar amount yet. :laugh:

So in other words we can do a better job than Nonis.

We should pool our money, buy the Leafs and then run them based on hfboards polls.

I make it my personal guarantee we would be a better hockey club with that method. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad