Why did Leiweke tear Nonis' 3 year deal to give him a 5 year deal????

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
It makes no ****ing sense.

Before he could've fired Nonis. Now he can't fire Nonis without looking like an idiot, taking a hit to his massive ego, and wasting mlse's dollars (no one likes wasting money).

Please tell me theres still a chance he cleans house (Nonis included). I really can't see it happening cause of this stupid extension.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
The extension means nothing. They'll fire Nonis if they want to bring someone else in.

If anything, the extension was just a vote of confidence towards Nonis for making the playoffs.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
I personally don't mind seeing what Nonis does for the next 2 years before yelling for him to get fired. Nonis has only been in charge of this team for 1.5 years and has been in Burke's shadow but mistakes by GMs are common so I want to see what he does with the core before I make a decision

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
2 seasons as GM, 1 he made the playoffs the 2nd they didn't. Why not see what happens in the 3rd year to see if he was worth the extra 2. You never know, the Leafs could still make the playoffs. Complaining about Nonis is silly at this point. People will try to say he should have made a trade, but a trade wouldn't have done anything to this team. They just fell apart

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I personally don't mind seeing what Nonis does for the next 2 years before yelling for him to get fired. Nonis has only been in charge of this team for 1.5 years and has been in Burke's shadow but mistakes by GMs are common so I want to see what he does with the core before I make a decision

Really?? He thought this team was good enough at the deadline. Now Toronto suckers are on the outside looking in.... AGAIN

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Unfortunately based on what I've been hearing in the media the past few days...it sounds unlikely that Nonis would be fired..much more likely Carlyle is gone...to me..even if Nonis stays as long as he can admit he's made some mistakes and start fixing some of them...I don't mind him staying..but if he stays and Carlyle is the only change..i'll be pissed!

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I don't like what Nonis did with the goaltending mess (should have traded Reimer in summer, you could see that whole situation turning into a train wreck, and it did), the Clarkson contract, or the Phaneuf deal, or him standing pat at the trade deadline when it was clear this team needed serious help.

But still, firing him seems awfully harsh given that he's barely had the job a full year. You've gotta give him the chance to make changes this summer, IMO. Although there's a big part of me that wants the whole place cleaned out, from GM to coaching staff to captain.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Despite what some people think, managers need more then one season to mould a team.

Nonis isnt getting fired this summer folks. This money is irrelevant to MLSE. Retirement package and nothing more.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
They need to clean house, that's it. No other option. None!

Nonis inherited a disastrous Burke squad and made it even worse. He signed huge contracts and totally misjudged the talent he wanted re-signed. He made minor deals on Gleason and thought the team was good enough for the playoffs. He learned nothing from last year's abysmal collapse and now they went down the tubes again.

The team, when it wins, relies on goalie heroics and one line. They are usually outshot and sometimes it's like 40+ shots against. The D is a horror show. They cannot play team defence and that is supposed to be Carlyle's specialty.

Sure, the coach will be fired but he's not the primary reason. The management has been awful and the personnel is beyond subpar. They can keep a few core parts like Reilly, Bernier and since you can't trade 80% of your team, they'll keep JVR, Kessel and probably Gardiner and Bozak, as well. But, the rest? They really have to clean it out and use the draft. The team is not getting any better otherwise.

If people (suckers) believe TL and MLSE/Robbers about some BS 'we're dedicated' to improving things for the fans' nonsense and all they do is tinker, well, then you have your answer. They're be crap for many more seasons. At least you can hope, they'll keep any high draft picks.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
First - Nonis will be afforded time, and that's not necessarily the wrong call despite some awful decisions last summer.

Second - See: Ron Wilson has an example of someone who was given an extension by MLSE, but then fired shortly after it was signed. Also see: Randy Carlyle as an example of someone who was given an extension, and was then fired shortly after it was signed.

Simply signing an extension doesn't mean you have job security locked up.

Plus, it was a strong supportive show of confidence by Tim on the way in the door.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Hey because playoffs! feel good awwwwh yeah guys don't worry about it Timmy's got it under control, parade route's already planned

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton

Before he could've fired Nonis. Now he can't fire Nonis without looking like an idiot, taking a hit to his massive ego, and wasting mlse's dollars (no one likes wasting money).

Please tell me theres still a chance he cleans house (Nonis included). I really can't see it happening cause of this stupid extension.

When there is a lot of gravy you spread it around. Everyone makes out like bandits here and leave the team no better off. It's like the politicians. They come in with all the promises. Raise your taxes. Give themselves great deals and pensions and they are out of there. :)

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

He's afraid to make big moves, I'm not expecting any shakeups. I'm expecting minor tweaks that have little to no effect on the team.

Oct 18, 2010
A wise man once said, "You should plan parade routes and tear down pictures of legends within months of signing on with an organization"

cack

Jul 30, 2013
Leiweke extending Nonis for 5 years is grounds for dismissal.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
Pretty simple actually. It was to release pressure and afford him the ability to make long term decisions rather than short-term win now moves. An example would be Bryan Colangelo making that Rudy Gay trade to get an extension.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Really?? He thought this team was good enough at the deadline. Now Toronto suckers are on the outside looking in.... AGAIN

Or he knew the team wasn't good enough even if they were to add a dman like Weaver so it was more beneficial to just keep the draft pick. Fans complain all the time about how we never have them after all.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Troy Bodie is Leiweke's son in law, and Nonis was rewarded with a premature 5 year contract extension a couple of weeks after Bodie was signed last summer.

I'll let you figure out the rest...

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
I don't agree with the notion that Nonis needs more time. I've seen enough to know that he isn't the right guy for the job.

Why?

This summer he made moves to reinforce what most of us believed to be a potentially strong core. Our young team had almost knocked out the finalist of the Stanley Cup. Sure it didn't always look pretty and leaving, it looked downright horrid but there was enough to be excited about. He fixed what many believed to be holes

• He added some necessary C depth with addition of Leaf-bred Dave Bolland, a proven winner fresh off scoring the cup winning goal. Boston had just finished demonstrating the importance of having horses down the middle in the playoffs.

Shame he got injured. If the early season was any indication, this was a solid pickup. He made us a deeper team, while providing energy, better defensive play and grit

• He looked to massage the core, because of the cap, by replacing two soft one-dimensional forwards (MacArthur, Grabovski) with a sorely needed crash and banger (Leaf-bred Clarkson) and a very cheap alternative for offence (Raymond)

Raymond has come in and provided pretty much the same thing that Clarke offered, highs and lows. He was the biggest bargain signing in the NHL this season. Going forward, his style of play becomes deductive and redundant to a similar group of better players. He'll ask for more. He shouldn't get it. Much has already been said about The Clarkson Deal; it stands as his worst move, and the worst signing in the NHL this season.

• We got Bernier to address goaltending depth, which didn't appear as a major weakness at the time. He/Leweke banked on Bernier's elite potential.

THEY WERE RIGHT

• We were excited about riding the second D Gardiner - Franson pairing that had really stepped it up for us in the first round. Sure, it was risky, but we were prepared to withstand the growing pains of what looked like a pretty solid pair. Finally, we'd have a capable top 4.

Franson's increased ice has exposed him. We now know what we have with him. Gardiner at least has continued to promise...

All while losing minimal assets going forward.

This season has shown that this core/coach combo is not to be depended on to compete year-to-year. With impending pressure from Leweke, I expect Nonis to make bigger shake-up type moves rather than quick fix bandaids. I'm personally excited to see what he can do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad