Who's to blame for the Coyotes woes?

Who?

• Total voters

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Even Paul Maurice said it in his post game last night. Paraphrasing but "this Coyotes team, for the last 4 or 5 games, isn't the same team from the beginning of the season."
Nice of him. He plays the Coyotes back to back. Of course he's going to be complimentary.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
On June 19, the Arizona Coyotes announced they would not be offering captain Shane Doan a new contract, despite his NHL-best 10 years as leader of the team, and 21 in the organization. The 40-year-old right wing retired just over two months later.

Owner Andrew Barroway and general manager John Chayka made the call. They saw a need to focus on the future and transition leadership.
“After serious consideration, we have decided to not offer [Doan] a contract for the upcoming season. The time has come for us to move on and to focus on our young, talented group of players and our very bright future,” Barroway said in a statement via NHL.com.

There is now a leadership void with the team.

Arizona Coyotes Forcing Out Shane Doan was a Bad Idea

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Doan was done. He deserved much better treatment for sure, but he would stick out like a sore thumb if he were in the lineup today. It was time for the captain to retire.

As for lack of leadership, I am hugely disappointed in OEL for not taking that team over as his. You don't need the C to act like a captain. You lead by example. OEL was lethargic to start the season.

Domi seems to need a couple more years under his belt to feel like he really belong on an NHL top line and not take it personally when pucks don't go in. It comes and goes, you just keep taking chances and move forward. I still think with maturity he could be a good captain, but now is not the time yet.

I do agree with Doan's statement:

“It becomes more about, am I in the lineup tonight? Because if I’m in the lineup tonight, I’m happy. I know we’ve lost 10 in a row, but I’m still playing in the NHL. There’s an element to that which is so hard to get past."

Seems like that's most of the team's mindset, and the few vets who take ice time for granted just don't seem to care all that much. Fact is, the current record should be UNACCEPTABLE for any leader.

Reactions: _Del_

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think we necessarily lack leadership, b/c everyone probably has their own definition of leadership that fits multiple players on the roster.

I think that for the returning players, it was that fear of taking the plunge to be the leader after Doan, and for the new guys, it was the fear of how the players from the previous year's team will react to someone trying to be more of a leader when it may not be their place to do so.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You guys just like making stuff up huh?
On June 19, the Arizona Coyotes announced they would not be offering captain Shane Doan a new contract, despite his NHL-best 10 years as leader of the team, and 21 in the organization. The 40-year-old right wing retired just over two months later.

Owner Andrew Barroway and general manager John Chayka made the call. They saw a need to focus on the future and transition leadership.
“After serious consideration, we have decided to not offer [Doan] a contract for the upcoming season. The time has come for us to move on and to focus on our young, talented group of players and our very bright future,” Barroway said in a statement via NHL.com.

There is now a leadership void with the team.

Arizona Coyotes Forcing Out Shane Doan was a Bad Idea

Surprised?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Vegas doesn't have a captain. They also haven't had a problem keeping the puck out of their net (despite being forced to use a slew of AHL goalies).

Maybe our goalies for the first 10 games of the season just sucked.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Vegas doesn't have a captain. They also haven't had a problem keeping the puck out of their net (despite being forced to use a slew of AHL goalies).

Maybe our goalies for the first 10 games of the season just sucked.
As did our play in front of the goalies. The entire product was crap. Still crap (except for those that look for beauty rather than success. or those who judge by horseshoe rules.

Reactions: BUX7PHX

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
RRhfXlz.png

cnXdqV2.png

... red is bad.

I don't think we need red and blue blobs to tell us a pairing of Connauton and Schenn is a train wreck on ice.

Reactions: _Del_ and Mosby

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That you guys are still making stuff up? Not especially.
Hi _del_ ! I asked the grand kid if your post constitutes snark. She said it’s lame even for a young teenager.

If you aren’t of age I sincerely apologize for ripping you for your Tocchet crush and I won’t bother you further.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Is Tocc fired tomorrow? I mean 0-20 in regulation, have to be thinking about it. The all time record for most games without a win in regulation!

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Barroway wanted a lean and mean rebuild from the beginning and he got his wish now. We could be the worst NHL team for the next 2 or 3 seasons. It wouldn't be so bad finishing as the worst team in the NHL if there was only 1 lottery to decide the 1OV as we would be debating and getting all giddy with the top 2 players in this draft. Barroway 's only mistake was not taking full ownership control sooner as both Eichel and Matthews would be on this team now. Can't live in the past so all we can do is move forward.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yeah I don't think we can pay three coaches. If they fire Toc Bizcrappy and Nash would have to coach and we'd have one feed for both radio and TV. Might be funny for a bit. Roster would go back to the non-scoring waiver fodder we had before but they'd able to fight.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Just steal a sun devil assistant coach and pay him gas money. It seriously can't be any worse. Shit, make Shane Doan the coach. He's got nothing else to do.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Did you read that Domingue was working out with Doan before returning to Canada? He and Tippett must be on the phone together after every game laughing their asses off.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
With as many players looking lost as they do I would say this has to go on the coach. Tocchet still has proven no value as a NHL head coach. If we were seeing the players evolve and the team improve, then there could be some value there. Really the only difference we have seen from the team is slightly improved goaltending, but more is needed and possible. Waiting this long to name a captain has been detrimental given the circumstances.

There are several replacement level players on this team, and Domingue was at the top of that list to start the season. Kempe was worth a call-up, but not the stint he has pulled and at the cost of a player with potential like Duke. KConn and Schenn showed how thin the defense was after our top 4-5. There are likely others I am not inspired to remember to call out either.

I think there have been some bad decisions by management. The trades made sense at the moment, and everyone gave Chayka rave reviews for them. Having this kind of overhaul was likely a mistake. A culture change was needed, but they did not successfully install a new culture and likely have a worse one now than they did previously. Changing the coach, change the players, either of these changes could have been made and had an impact, but they did both and coupled that with dropping Doan the way they did.

At this point, does it really matter who is to blame though? This could start becoming more about solutions than blame, because the mistakes have been made. How do we fix this now?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I liked the off season changes = brand new culture and was pretty excited to see the infusion of talent with a fast paced puck pursuit game. Adding Stepan was needed to give some experience at C. Adding Hjalmarsson was fantastic. Raanta was probably the best option at G (who knew Dominque would forget how to goalie over the summer). Heading into the season Chayka addressed the need for a top 5 RHD by trading for Demers. Biggest miss was not replacing Vrbata. Certainly the coaching choice looks like a major error right now.

Hard to see how the team gets out of this without trading a major player (OEL, Domi or Stepan).

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
the team needs som goal scorers on the team. seems all we have is Keller, Perlini and everyone struggles to find the back of the net, there are so many chances in the game and they always come up empty and the other team seems like always scores on theirs it is demoralizing.

At this point i really dont care anymore, im watching only for a few players and looking forward to losing lottery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad