Who's to blame for the Coyotes woes?

Who?

• Total voters

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This is getting to be one great big circular argument.

First it’s the coach....

Then it’s the players....

Then it’s ownership....

Then back to the coach.... etc. etc.

About the only thing that’s avoided the knives in this thread is Stan Wilson the equipment manager. Who’s participating in his 2000th game today btw.

Everyone is trying to look for a reason to explain the poor start. And to be frank about it there is no single item or reason you can point to that will fix it overnight.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Oh, don't think we don't have our eyes on Stan Wilson, that ####... Maybe if our skates were sharper our defensemen wouldn't look like Bambi on ice and would stop falling down all the time! Ever think of that?! Of course you didn't!

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Oh, don't think we don't have our eyes on Stan Wilson, that ####... Maybe if our skates were sharper our defensemen wouldn't look like Bambi on ice and would stop falling down all the time! Ever think of that?! Of course you didn't!

ORR how when the Coyotes players can't seem to hit the net... Probably because he put the wrong tape on their sticks! What's the one constant this whole time the Yotes haven't won a Cup? Conspiracy! lol I jest.

But seriously, congrats to him. By all accounts he sounds like a great guy and it's a great achievement to make it to 2000 games.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
RT's system has given the Penguins 2 Stanley Cup wins. Expect to see changes in the roster before RT gets fired.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
RT's system has given the Penguins 2 Stanley Cup wins. Expect to see changes in the roster before RT gets fired.

Oh please. What system do you need when Crosby / Malkin are your centers, and Kessel adds the finishing touch? Give me those guys, I'll make a great assistant coach.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Oh please. What system do you need when Crosby / Malkins are your centers, and Kessel adds the finishing touch? Give me those guys, I'll make a great assistant coach.
Nice. This is a playoff team regardless of the system played.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Oh please. What system do you need when Crosby / Malkin are your centers, and Kessel adds the finishing touch? Give me those guys, I'll make a great assistant coach.

Wait, Phil Jackson used the triangle offence in Chicago and L.A with great success. Jordan/Pippen/Shaq/Koby had nothing to do with the success either:)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Wait, Phil Jackson used the triangle offence in Chicago and L.A with great success. Jordan/Pippen/Shaq/Koby had nothing to do with the success either:)
God I used to get so annoyed with people about that, sure Jackson was a good coach but it's not like he turned water into wine. He didn't just have good players, he had Hall of Fame tandems. Hell Koby and Shaq will go down as all time greats even among Hall of Famers and Jordon is widely considered the best player ever.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
God I used to get so annoyed with people about that, sure Jackson was a good coach but it's not like he turned water into wine. He didn't just have good players, he had Hall of Fame tandems. Hell Koby and Shaq will go down as all time greats even among Hall of Famers and Jordon is widely considered the best player ever.

That's why they say the coach gets too much credit when a team wins, and too much blame for when they lose.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
AB made it impossible for DT to stay. He more or less fired him in my eyes.

Tippett was unhappy with the IA partners before Barroway ever got there. He saw them as small fish in a big pond, pretenders. Gary Drummond was Tippett's big pal in the ownership group and he was the one who negotiated the extension. When Barroway bought out Drummond, Tippett saw the writing on the wall and negotiated his way out. He wasn't fired - he was finished with the circus. It was a mutually-agreed divorce.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tippett was unhappy with the IA partners before Barroway ever got there. He saw them as small fish in a big pond, pretenders. Gary Drummond was Tippett's big pal in the ownership group and he was the one who negotiated the extension. When Barroway bought out Drummond, Tippett saw the writing on the wall and negotiated his way out. He wasn't fired - he was finished with the circus. It was a mutually-agreed divorce.

See kids, revisionist history is fun!

Reactions: _Del_

cobra427

May 6, 2012
After how many games can we simply admit that it's not working?
We are at the 20 games mark. Zero wins in regulation so far, that must be a record. It's broken, but who in our current organization, is going to figure out how to fix it? I hope we get good goal tending, Hammer comes back, OEL plays better, Domi scores a few goals and we get a regulation win or tw0 (getting greedy I know). I suspect the problem is much deeper then a few wins are going to cure. I'm worried we don't have enough experienced leadership to first identify the problems and then come up with a solution.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Haha. Tippett was obviously shown the door. Can't we just admit he was booted and cling to the idea that it was a mistake? That's less delusional at least. Misguided, but not dismissive of plain reality.

Reactions: CC96

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We are at the 20 games mark. Zero wins in regulation so far, that must be a record. It's broken, but who in our current organization, is going to figure out how to fix it? I hope we get good goal tending, Hammer comes back, OEL plays better, Domi scores a few goals and we get a regulation win or tw0 (getting greedy I know). I suspect the problem is much deeper then a few wins are going to cure. I'm worried we don't have enough experienced leadership to first identify the problems and then come up with a solution.

Experience can be compromised by biases and traditionalism. I don't think an 'experienced' management group could do much better. Should we call Calgary and see if Mr. Burke is available?

I could not see Maloney pulling off any of the deals that have been made so far. The closest he got to a major trade was the Yandle deal.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know if it is necessarily that our management group lacks a level of experience.

We talk about the square pegs into round holes look, but think about many of the offseason acquisitions that were made. Stepan is a two-way C. Hjalmarsson is not necessarily what I would call an up-tempo offensive player. Some of the issues that I see is that the players that we added were almost tailor made to fit into a Tippett system. The problem is that we decided to let go of Tippett a few days prior to finishing off these deals.

If Tippett did not agree to some of these deals (even though they were the right types of deals), then I can understand having to let him go, solely on that premise alone. But then, we looked at the roster and decided to move forward with a coach who said the right things, but maybe that wasn't the best system to run with, given the additions.

Seems like the intentions were thought out and acted upon as if they had the best intentions for the team going forward, but the reality is that the best of intentions don't always get the best result, and sometimes it can create the polar opposite results, which is what we are seeing now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
RRhfXlz.png

cnXdqV2.png

... red is bad.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Are you trying to convince me that KConn and Schenn are a bad pairing?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Are you trying to convince me that KConn and Schenn are a bad pairing?

Hard to say - one interesting thing is that with Schenn and Connauton in, the blue is far more prevalent in the 30 feet and in range right in front of the net. Many of the shots are coming from the 30-55 foot range from all areas relative to center of ice. That seems more related to forward play not closing down, but that could also be highly reflective the lack of speed from Connauton and/or Schenn and our forwards have too much ground to cover?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Haha. Tippett was obviously shown the door. Can't we just admit he was booted and cling to the idea that it was a mistake? That's less delusional at least. Misguided, but not dismissive of plain reality.
It wasn't a mistake. It was a divorce. The issue to me isn't that Tippet isn't there, its that they made a poor choice in his replacement. Tocchet is no good.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Even Paul Maurice said it in his post game last night. Paraphrasing but "this Coyotes team, for the last 4 or 5 games, isn't the same team from the beginning of the season."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad