Boston Bruins Who's the next Captain?

2023-24 Captain

• Total voters

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Marchand is the logical veteran choice, although his impetuousness makes me wonder if he's typical NHL captain material. But then again, maybe in the situation the team is in, losing Bergeron and maybe Krejci, a more hot-headed leader is what they need. Between him and Looch, and with Kelly and McQuaid in the fold, there's still a strong connection to the Cup-winning core.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Jesus pasta is nine seasons in already?

He’s def Al dente

Probably the covid seasons making it seem like less time, I feel like it’s become generally felt by most now thag 2020- now feels blurry because of the pandemic and stressors on people’s brains, less good memories moves time by faster

I could see Marchand as the next Captain, but I could also see the Bruins wanting to go with a more long term player. Marchand is signed for 2 more years and will be 37 when his contract expires. How many more years is he really going to play?

So he gets the captaincy for 2 years and when he retires they’ll have had at least 2 years to decide who’s next

It’ll likely be Charlie McAvoy, could see Coyle if he’s still around

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Not sure how you can argue against Marchand getting the C.

Only player remaining from the cup win (I guess aside from Lucic), put in the blood, sweat & tears.

Keep on passing it down the line, McAvoy will have it after Marchy...

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

"....he'll just have to learn how to deal with younger players"

Interesting bit there. Makes me think Bergeron was a great bridge between the younger group and the vets. According to Bruce that sounds like that's something Marchand has trouble with and something he may need to work on if he wanted to be a good captain.

Makes me think about the info that came out when JDB was requesting a trade and Bruce was trying to patch things up but the team leadership thought it would be best if JDB moved on.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
My final take on this is if it ISN'T Marchand then you can bank on their plan being a soft rebuild and look for him to be traded by the 24/25 deadline at the latest.

But imo Marchand will wear the C. MacAvoy and Pasta will have the A's. And Looch will be the loudest guy in the dressing room.

"....he'll just have to learn how to deal with younger players"

Interesting bit there. Makes me think Bergeron was a great bridge between the younger group and the vets. According to Bruce that sounds like that's something Marchand has trouble with and something he may need to work on if he wanted to be a good captain.

Makes me think about the info that came out when JDB was requesting a trade and Bruce was trying to patch things up but the team leadership thought it would be best if JDB moved on.
Strange thing for Cassidy to say as he pretty much didn't deal with the younger players himself and since they barely ever made the roster there wasn't much there for Brad to deal with.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My final take on this is if it ISN'T Marchand then you can bank on their plan being a soft rebuild and look for him to be traded by the 24/25 deadline at the latest.

But imo Marchand will wear the C. MacAvoy and Pasta will have the A's. And Looch will be the loudest guy in the dressing room.
This is what I hope for although Brad already holds the room (according to Brick).

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
After some thought....should be McAvoy imo

Marchand - A
Pasta - A
Carlo or Coyle - A
Mcavoy is at that age where he looks seasoned enough - had a couple years with big Z, spent his whole career so far in the same locker room as 37 and the other vets.

He's only 25 years old and entering his 8th season with the Boston Bruins, he could be their Captain for the next decade, now is the time imo.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Mcavoy is at that age where he looks seasoned enough - had a couple years with big Z, spent his whole career so far in the same locker room as 37 and the other vets.

He's only 25 years old and entering his 8th season with the Boston Bruins, he could be their Captain for the next decade, now is the time imo.
Agreed

Also I don't want Marchand to lose his edge/agitator....because he has the C.

Not everybody is meant to be captain. Even if Marchand is the longest tenured Bruin... doesn't mean it should be automatic.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Brad is the most qualified at this time. It has nothing to do with his years on the Bs

Brad speaks (and is heard) to the refs, players and coaches. He sets up plays and according to Andy Brickley has the room.

Charlie needs a few more years to develop his leadership. It would not be good for him or anyone to get the "C" before he is ready.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Agreed

Also I don't want Marchand to lose his edge/agitator....because he has the C.

Not everybody is meant to be captain. Even if Marchand is the longest tenured Bruin... doesn't mean it should be automatic.

Great point above.

Part of what makes brad effective is his "antics". With a C on his chest it would be a bad look for him and the team if he was going around licking people or spearing players in the groin.

Brad isn't getting any younger and may need to rely more on his antics as the speed and skill fall victim to father time.

I'm good with giving the C to Charlie now.

He's ready.

Just like Chara and Bergeron have said multiple times you don't need a letter to be a leader in that locker room, Marchand can still be that veteran presence for McAvoy and mentor him on the leadership side if need be while he's still playing.

i also agree with others that playing hot potato with the captaincy going from Chara to Bergy to Marchand to then the long term solution in a year or two is silly.

Reactions: rocketdan9

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Marchand should not wear the captain's C. Sorry but he shouldn't. If he goes back to his rat behavior and gets himself suspended for being a dummy, that would be a bad look for the team. Three assistant captains imo should be it for now until someone like McAvoy is ready to step up and take the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad