Boston Bruins Who's the next Captain?

2023-24 Captain

• Total voters

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Well, someone had to make this poll. With Bergy stepping away, who takes on the vaunted captain's C?

Conventional wisdom has Marchand in line as the longest tenured Bruin (assuming Krejci is also gone.) And despite his reputation he's matured a lot and shown leadership.

But they may want to out it on one of their young superstars who are locked into long-term contracts like McAvoy or Pasta. And I know Carlo has a lot of respect in the room as well.

But do they decide to go without a captain and just dress three alternates until someone steps up to claim it, or do the old Buffalo Sabres thing and just rotate the C among different guys monthly? Plenty of options. If I were a betting man I'd say 60/40 Marchand/3 As.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
It is Marchand. Not to sound like a conspiracy but my friend saw a post from the Bruins they pulled immediately after posting from a week or so ago that was of Marchand and he had a tiny piece of a letter on his chest and you could tell it wasn’t an A. It was like a photo shoot the bruins did for this year and were posting one of Marchy as a tease from the side.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’d bet lunch on Marchand being the next captain, but I’m not crazy about it.

This is going to be unpopular, but what I’d actually like is someone from outside the organization to come here via trade or free agency and make him the captain. Marchand had too much to do with the 2019 and 2023 failures for me to believe in him as a leader. Like it or not, he’s the face of the remnant of that core, and it’s time to move on.

Of course, I’d love to be proven wrong and see Marchand become a great captain, but we shall see.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I’d bet lunch on Marchand being the next captain, but I’m not crazy about it.

This is going to be unpopular, but what I’d actually like is someone from outside the organization to come here via trade or free agency and make him the captain. Marchand had too much to do with the 2019 and 2023 failures for me to believe in him as a leader. Like it or not, he’s the face of the remnant of that core, and it’s time to move on.

Of course, I’d love to be proven wrong and see Marchand become a great captain, but we shall see.
That's an interesting take for sure. I'm just not sure who could be available as a leader to build around. If guys like that were easy to obtain, every team would have a great captain.

You say Marchand had a lot to do with 19 and 23, but he also had a huge amount to do with 2011. If you'd asked me a year or two ago if I thought Marchy should be the next captain I would've said hell no, but he showed great leadership this year and I don't think we're going to find a better option in the short term.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad