Boston Bruins Who's the next Captain?

2023-24 Captain

• Total voters

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Six seasons into his NHL career, McAvoy has shown no signs of being captain material.

Nine seasons in, neither has Pasta.

By all accounts, in the nearly decade now in Boston, David Pastrnak is known for bringing an infectious enthusiasm and positive attitude to work each day. I've never heard any reports of him causing issues in the room. He seems to be a low-maintenance, high-performance player. His daily demeanor and work ethic rub off on other players (similar to how Bergeron's daily demeanor and work ethic rubbed off on players).

Is that not leadership? Because it's considered leadership every place I've worked.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Six seasons into his NHL career, McAvoy has shown no signs of being captain material.

It is a skill. Sometimes players develop into a leader (Bergy did).

Sometimes the best player is NOT a leader!

Mac is pretty quiet on the bench, and I don't often see him talking to the stripes. This could change. I love him as a player, but he is certainly NOT ready for the "C". It would stunt his development IMHO.

Pasta has been stepping it up. He has stepped up and speaks up more and sets up some plays. There is a reason he wore the "A" most of last season. I expect him to continue to be a leader but I would not put the "C" on him yet

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

I agree, and at the risk of derailing the thread, they seem to be the 2 cornerstones they're going to build around, which is a recipe for disaster, if'n yiz ask me.

I never thought of Marchand as captain material either, but in this situation, I think he's the best choice.

Or, go with 3 A's

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree, and at the risk of derailing the thread, they seem to be the 2 cornerstones they're going to build around, which is a recipe for disaster, if'n yiz ask me.

I never thought of Marchand as captain material either, but in this situation, I think he's the best choice.

Or, go with 3 A's
Building around McAvoy and Pasta is a recipe for disaster? Good lord this place…

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
By all accounts, in the nearly decade now in Boston, David Pastrnak is known for bringing an infectious enthusiasm and positive attitude to work each day. I've never heard any reports of him causing issues in the room. He seems to be a low-maintenance, high-performance player. His daily demeanor and work ethic rub off on other players (similar to how Bergeron's daily demeanor and work ethic rubbed off on players).

Is that not leadership? Because it's considered leadership every place I've worked.
Excellent post.

Pasta is clearly one of the leaders on the team. Me and @GahdenRinkRat loved seeing him step it up last season.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah my guess Carlo would be before those two or even Lindholm. Mac and Pasta both got the go with the flow personality.

You can still be a positive guy and not be a leader, followers are like that or in Pasta’s case he is a go with the flow dude. Not sure he is that rally the troops guy, but still an integral part of that troop

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You can still be a positive guy and not be a leader, followers are like that or in Pasta’s case he is a go with the flow dude. Not sure he is that rally the troops guy, but still an integral part of that troop
Pasta has really stepped it up as a leader. There is a reason he wears an "A".

He isn't ready (and may never be) to wear a "C" but he is certainly a leader on the Bs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah my guess Carlo would be before those two or even Lindholm. Mac and Pasta both got the go with the flow personality.

Bringing a consistent demeanor and work ethic to your job everyday is leadership by example.

Doesn't mean that person necessarily gets to be the boss or manager. Or that they would even want the responsibility.

Conversely, you can be great at rallying your team through emotion and words. But never be in an "on-paper" position of leadership.

I'm not advocating for Pasta to be handed the captaincy. Just making the point that he has displayed leadership in his decade with the team.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Pasta has really stepped it up as a leader. There is a reason he wears an "A".

He isn't ready (and may never be) to wear a "C" but he is certainly a leader on the Bs.
Agree- Pasta has grown significantly as a leader...may never wear the C but clearly deserves an A

the way to avoid a decision is to go with three As

that is not my choice, mine is have Marchand wear the C. He bleeds black and gold, brings energy and determination and is willing to chew out a teammate who isn't carrying the load. He has come a long way from being a fourth line pest to a true team leader and he gets my vote ( something I would not have said 3-4 years ago)

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Honestly, I think Pasta's a little too goofy.

Captains should be serious, responsible and focused.

Maybe that's too old school.

Anyway, last season 6 teams didn't have a captain. 4 of them missed the playoffs, and Winnipeg barely got in. Only Seattle was really successful.

Last season there were 6 teams with Euro captains. 4 of them missed the playoffs Colorado and New Jersey did well.

Last season there were 5 teams with American captains. 3 missed the playoffs, and the Islanders barely got in. Only the Rangers were somewhat successful.

Last season there were 15 teams with Canadian captains. 6 of them missed the playoffs. One won the Stanley Cup and another had the best regular season ever.

I'm sure we know who Don Cherry would pick for captain of the Bruins.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I think Pasta's a little too goofy.

Captains should be serious, responsible and focused.

Maybe that's too old school.

I somewhat agree. But I also think the person we see in front of the camera (and social media) is Pasta with the volume turned up, and that a more serious version (not to be confused with being uber-serious) is behind closed doors in the workplace.

I think we have an expectation of "classiness" in our sports leaders. And we've been fortunate as fans that we cheered for the player who probably best exemplifies "class" for his generation of players, so in our minds the bar is raised.

Nothing wrong with that. But as time goes on, I think we'll see more variation of personality types in leadership positions.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I voted McAvoy, wouldn't be shocked if it is Marchand.

Don't think it will be Pasta.

For some reason I keep thinking Charlie Coyle might get an A this year

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I somewhat agree. But I also think the person we see in front of the camera (and social media) is Pasta with the volume turned up, and that a more serious version (not to be confused with being uber-serious) is behind closed doors in the workplace.

I think we have an expectation of "classiness" in our sports leaders. And we've been fortunate as fans that we cheered for the player who probably best exemplifies "class" for his generation of players, so in our minds the bar is raised.

Nothing wrong with that. But as time goes on, I think we'll see more variation of personality types in leadership positions.

So many of those classy leaders in Bruin's history.

Going back to Dit Clapper, Milt Schmidt, Fern Flaman, Leo Boivin, Johnny Bucyk and of course Bourque & Chara.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It is a skill. Sometimes players develop into a leader (Bergy did).

Sometimes the best player is NOT a leader!

Mac is pretty quiet on the bench, and I don't often see him talking to the stripes. This could change. I love him as a player, but he is certainly NOT ready for the "C". It would stunt his development IMHO.

Pasta has been stepping it up. He has stepped up and speaks up more and sets up some plays. There is a reason he wore the "A" most of last season. I expect him to continue to be a leader but I would not put the "C" on him yet
Interesting observations. You make a good point about readiness to be captain. Both Pasta and Mac have played with some seriously incredible leaders and personalities -- Z, Bergy, and Marchy. I don't think there has ever been a crucial need for Pasta and Mac to be THE guys when it comes to leadership. Plus, how can you not defer to those incredible leaders if you are a young guy in that strong culture?

Now that Z, Bergy, and a host of other vets over the years are all gone, I can see Pasta and Mac (others as well) stepping up quite a bit more since there is now more of a leadership vacuum. Marchy will be a good captain in the interim while some of the other guys find their voice and leadership roles on the team post-Bergeron.

It is going to be so tough to fill Bergy's shoes for the next captain. Listening to player comments when Bergy was captain, it's like he was a coach, father, and teammate to the younger guys. Listening to Monty's comments last season it seemed like Bergy was a co-coach and player at the same time. Imagine the pressure for the next captain. Marchy is likely the only current player equipped to step into the role previously held by Z then Bergy.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Interesting observations. You make a good point about readiness to be captain. Both Pasta and Mac have played with some seriously incredible leaders and personalities -- Z, Bergy, and Marchy. I don't think there has ever been a crucial need for Pasta and Mac to be THE guys when it comes to leadership. Plus, how can you not defer to those incredible leaders if you are a young guy in that strong culture?

Now that Z, Bergy, and a host of other vets over the years are all gone, I can see Pasta and Mac (others as well) stepping up quite a bit more since there is now more of a leadership vacuum. Marchy will be a good captain in the interim while some of the other guys find their voice and leadership roles on the team post-Bergeron.

It is going to be so tough to fill Bergy's shoes for the next captain. Listening to player comments when Bergy was captain, it's like he was a coach, father, and teammate to the younger guys. Listening to Monty's comments last season it seemed like Bergy was a co-coach and player at the same time. Imagine the pressure for the next captain. Marchy is likely the only current player equipped to step into the role previously held by Z then Bergy.
Great post!

There is still leadership on the team and Brad is the best choice.

Looch will help some as he is a leader

This is true

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Bringing a consistent demeanor and work ethic to your job everyday is leadership by example.

Doesn't mean that person necessarily gets to be the boss or manager. Or that they would even want the responsibility.

Conversely, you can be great at rallying your team through emotion and words. But never be in an "on-paper" position of leadership.

I'm not advocating for Pasta to be handed the captaincy. Just making the point that he has displayed leadership in his decade with the team.
Eh Business and Hockey are two different animals in that regard. You certainly couldnt get away with half the locker room talk you'd get in hockey if it were a business. Sometimes raw emotion is needed, especially when it comes to playoffs. I get the professionalism of a leader by example, but sports are way more personal as you are facing an opponent vs keeping up metrics. Its that another day at the office that has become the problem with this team.

Back in 2011 with guys like Thornton, Ference, Horton, Lucic, Marchand these guys took losing a game personally. They would let the other team know they are pissed and would take it out on them. Bergeron wasnt part of that pushback, but he followed along with them. As soon as those guys left, it turned into a turn the other cheek, we'll get them next time approach. Nothing to take away from Bergeron and his approach, but there are reasons they brought in the likes of Backes and Foligno, I think they were hoping to bring back some of that raw emotion dynamic in leadership to go along with the steady lead by example in Bergeron. Probably that is another reason they brought back Lucic.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Well if Marchand does become Captain I coin the phrase it’s the Rat’s pack going forward

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Eh Business and Hockey are two different animals in that regard. You certainly couldnt get away with half the locker room talk you'd get in hockey if it were a business. Sometimes raw emotion is needed, especially when it comes to playoffs. I get the professionalism of a leader by example, but sports are way more personal as you are facing an opponent vs keeping up metrics. Its that another day at the office that has become the problem with this team.

Back in 2011 with guys like Thornton, Ference, Horton, Lucic, Marchand these guys took losing a game personally. They would let the other team know they are pissed and would take it out on them. Bergeron wasnt part of that pushback, but he followed along with them. As soon as those guys left, it turned into a turn the other cheek, we'll get them next time approach. Nothing to take away from Bergeron and his approach, but there are reasons they brought in the likes of Backes and Foligno, I think they were hoping to bring back some of that raw emotion dynamic in leadership to go along with the steady lead by example in Bergeron. Probably that is another reason they brought back Lucic.

Leadership is leadership. And there are many transferrable skills you can obtain from competitive team sports that apply to the workplace, and vice versa.

But your right about the raw emotion part. It's more part of the equation clearly in sports than say in workplace. It does change the dynamic a bit, but I still think the general principles of strong leadership would apply. People are people. The bigger challenge for leaders now is blanket approaches do not work as well as they did in the past, so even leaders like hockey team captains, have to gain a better understanding of what makes each teammate tick.

I'm glad you brought up Lucic though. Because when you think back to those teams he played on here, as much as Chara and Bergeron were the leaders on paper, and were leaders themselves, it was Lucic who really brought that raw emotion needed to rally the troops during trying times. He was the soul of those teams and I think some of that was lost when he was dealt and one of the reasons I objected to it and still believe it was the wrong move, hindsight being what it is.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Leadership is leadership. And there are many transferrable skills you can obtain from competitive team sports that apply to the workplace, and vice versa.

But your right about the raw emotion part. It's more part of the equation clearly in sports than say in workplace. It does change the dynamic a bit, but I still think the general principles of strong leadership would apply. People are people. The bigger challenge for leaders now is blanket approaches do not work as well as they did in the past, so even leaders like hockey team captains, have to gain a better understanding of what makes each teammate tick.

I'm glad you brought up Lucic though. Because when you think back to those teams he played on here, as much as Chara and Bergeron were the leaders on paper, and were leaders themselves, it was Lucic who really brought that raw emotion needed to rally the troops during trying times. He was the soul of those teams and I think some of that was lost when he was dealt and one of the reasons I objected to it and still believe it was the wrong move, hindsight being what it is.
Lucic singlehandily destroyed the Leaf Franchise in that game 7. It certainly was his raw leadership there that helped the team basically have one of the best comebacks in sports history.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: