Speculation: Who's the Avalanche's Best Hockey Player

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
For funzies, who do you thing the best player currently on the Avalanche roster. Not who your favorite player is, or who has the most potential, but if you were to give each player an overall rating like on EA NHL, who would have the highest rating? (assuming healthy)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Where is the poll?

Some years it's Varly, and some years it's Duchene or Landeskog

Last year, it was FB lol

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Duchene. MacK was at the start of last season. EJ was before getting hurt the previous season. And Varly was in 2014. But Dutchy's been the top guy over the long haul and nobody's passed him yet.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Voted Duchene, I want it to be MacKinnon but he's just not consistent or smart enough to be there yet.

Duchene was more of a scoring threat throughout the season despite the bad start, was the best playmaker, and generally had Grigorenko/Iginla as linemates when being a centre despite neither of those guys being any good at finishing (or that good at playmaking). As of now, he's probably a 70-85 point player on a good team with better Corsi and better wingers.

Landeskog really should've been sent back to junior for a season, it's not like he was dominating offensively (he might've been dominant physically in junior but so is Lawsone Crouse). He never developed consistency or domination to his game and another year with Kitchener probably would've helped with that by allowing him to have improved his offensive skill level.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Voted Duchene, I want it to be MacKinnon but he's just not consistent or smart enough to be there yet.

Duchene was more of a scoring threat throughout the season despite the bad start, was the best playmaker, and generally had Grigorenko/Iginla as linemates when being a centre despite neither of those guys being any good at finishing (or that good at playmaking). As of now, he's probably a 70-85 point player on a good team with better Corsi and better wingers.

My body and mind are ready for the eventual trade to the Rangers.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Landeskog really should've been sent back to junior for a season, it's not like he was dominating offensively (he might've been dominant physically in junior but so is Lawsone Crouse). He never developed consistency or domination to his game and another year with Kitchener probably would've helped with that by allowing him to have improved his offensive skill level.

whoa, hot take. Landeskog was arguably our best player his rookie year...:laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Serious question...

Why isn't it Landeskog? Obviously hes not expected to produce as much as Duchy because of the defense he brings.

He's probably been the most consistent since being drafted.

Varly can't get it for me because of two years now of inconsistent play.

Landeskog - 65, 59, 53
Duchene - 70, 55, 59

It's not like Duchy has smoked Landy offensively the last three years either.

Edit : I have not voted yet, but I am seriously considering Landy here. When I compare the two I'm having a hard time actually picking Duchene over him based on the meger amount of extra production. 5 or 6 points every year, and it's not even remotely close when you count all 200 feet of the ice sheet.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Serious question...

Why isn't it Landeskog? Obviously hes not expected to produce as much as Duchy because of the defense he brings.

He's probably been the most consistent since being drafted.

Varly can't get it for me because of two years now of inconsistent play.

Landeskog - 65, 59, 53
Duchene - 70, 55, 59

It's not like Duchy has smoked Landy offensively the last three years either.

One of the biggest reasons I view him as the "best player" on the Avs (and voted for him). No, he's not going to lead the team in points, but he's been a pretty consistent offensive player every year, while bringing above average defensive play all while being the Captain (and from all reports of people actually who've actually observed the locker room and everything around that, he's been a good/great Captain for the team).

But...that's just my view on the matter.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Assuming healthy, Varlomov for me. I think people underrate him a lot, he has the hardest job on the team and still manages to steal games despite getting pelted with an astounding number of high-quality shots. If he had a decent defense in front of him he could be a top goaltender in the league.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
you guys aren't taking into account the fact that Landy is just a goon and a 3rd line grinder :sarcasm:

just kidding of course, and ya he's a very special player. another guy though, who i think just hasn't been able to stay healthy.
If we roll into next season with a healed Landy, EJ, and Varly, and then dutchy and mack just play their natural game, it could be a better season than most are anticipating :nod:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One of the biggest reasons I view him as the "best player" on the Avs (and voted for him). No, he's not going to lead the team in points, but he's been a pretty consistent offensive player every year, while bringing above average defensive play all while being the Captain (and from all reports of people actually who've actually observed the locker room and everything around that, he's been a good/great Captain for the team).

But...that's just my view on the matter.

Yeah this is actually a bit of a "step back and get some perspective" thing, as the easy answer is Duchene, but the more I look at it, it may not be the correct answer.

5,4 & 6 points different, and Landy has a career +30 while Duchy has a -27 (IMO that matters comparing two players on the same team). Someone can look this up, but I'd bet that Landy faces the tougher competition as well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dont see how anyone can say anything other then Duchene right now.

The guy more or less carried this team on his back from November onward.

I get the idea of saying Mackinnon based on the potential he has but that's the only other answer that can make sense. Varlamov is in no way the best player on this team after the last 2 seasons he's had and his career stats for that matter. 2013/14 is looking more and more like an outlier with every passing game he plays.

Landeskog is great and still has some potential as well to be even better, but he's not Duchene.

The answer is Duchene, looks like the poll is going as it should, but Varlamov with 3 to many votes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Dont see how anyone can say anything other then Duchene right now.

The guy more or less carried this team on his back from November onward.

I get the idea of saying Mackinnon based on the potential he has but that's the only other answer that can make sense. Varlamov is in no way the best player on this team after the last 2 seasons he's had and his career stats for that matter. 2013/14 is looking more and more like an outlier with every passing game he plays.

Landeskog is great and still has some potential as well to be even better, but he's not Duchene.

The answer is Duchene, looks like the poll is going as it should, but Varlamov with 3 to many votes.

The poll is not "Who is the best offensive player on the team" though...

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
It was a tough choice between Duchene and Landeskog. I think MacKinnon will be the best in a year or two, though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah this is actually a bit of a "step back and get some perspective" thing, as the easy answer is Duchene, but the more I look at it, it may not be the correct answer.

5,4 & 6 points different, and Landy has a career +30 while Duchy has a -27 (IMO that matters comparing two players on the same team). Someone can look this up, but I'd bet that Landy faces the tougher competition as well.

I didn't really look into all of that stuff...I just trusted my eyes and what I have seen.

Basically, aside from the lockout year (where he had leg and head injuries), he's been a 50+ point player (52, 65, 59, 53). In fact he's played at a 56 point pace his entire NHL career (58 if you want to exclude the lockout shortened/injury plagued year...but I'll leave it in).

It would seem like we know exactly what the expect from him every year, at minimum. That's consistency, if you ask me....and that's just addressing the offensive side of the puck. He brings more to the defensive side than Duchene or MacKinnon (though I believe and expect MacKinnon to become the "best player" on the team as soon as next season--I still believe in his overall ability).

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
All very good points about Landy. My head wants to vote for him but my heart says Dutchy.

I think if EJ could be consistently healthy though it should be him. But its like he plays like a boss then he gets banged up and even
though he comes back he never really recovers...till next year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I didn't really look into all of that stuff...I just trusted my eyes and what I have seen.

Basically, aside from the lockout year (where he had leg and head injuries), he's been a 50+ point player (52, 65, 59, 53). In fact he's played at a 56 point pace his entire NHL career (58 if you want to exclude the lockout shortened/injury plagued year...but I'll leave it in).

It would seem like we know exactly what the expect from him every year, at minimum. That's consistency, if you ask me.

Duchene has one year like that as well, so I think if you were going to look at PPG/career you could remove those years for both.

(This is 12-13 removed for Landy & 11-12 for Duchy) It's .715 Vs .798, that's a 7 point difference over 82 games.

All very good points about Landy. My head wants to vote for him but my heart says Dutchy.

I think if EJ could be consistently healthy though it should be him. But its like he plays like a boss then he gets banged up and even
though he comes back he never really recovers...till next year.

Agreed, but it's not like he came back from injury, and after a week or so was back to himself either. I'd love to vote either of Varly or EJ, but I just can't, and Varly didn't have his second half beast mode this last year which usually saves his ass (And the teams).

Edit : At least you considered it, between Duchy and Landy. Some can't seem to see there is a valid argument there.

Last edited:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Lando. His defense is so much better than the other forwards. That easily makes up for the handful of extra points Duchene has. Varly was maybe the biggest disappointment last year, and was inconsistent the year before. EJ is just inconsistent. And Barrie is too bad defensively.

Lando has been the best player over the past 3 years, but it's really close. MacK hopefully passes him this year and starts tapping into his superstardom potential.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was close to saying Duchene because until someone passes him he still is the best producer on the team. Landy's two way play is important. And I recognize MacKinnon isn't all the way there yet. However, I think the player that makes the most impact and whose absence is felt the most when he's not in the lineup is MacKinnon. Maybe that hasn't translated to the points it needs to just yet but that still doesn't take away the fact that he's the most talented player on the team. And talent doesn't mean potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad